Anyone fancy a boost controller?

Markb

Reaction score
Look at this pile of Sh*t on Ebay Click here

"THE POWERTEK MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER CAN BE FITTED BY A NOVICE OR DIY MECHANIC IN LESS THAN HALF AN HOUR ( UNLIKE ITS ELECTRONIC OPPOSISTION ). BOOST ADJUSTMENT CAN BE COMPLETED IN A MATTER OF SECONDS BY SIMPLY TURNING THE ADJUSTMENT KNOB TO INCREASE OR DECREASE THE TURBO BOOST...................................................... MORE BOOST = MORE PERFORMANCE. IT'S AS SIMPLE AS THAT!"

Yeah OK I'll turn my the boost up on my standard car to 1.5Bar and see how long it lasts. One easy way to F*ck your car.

By looking at the picture made in clip art it looks really proffesional PMSL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

To be fair, although boost controllers are a cheap and dirty way of getting power, it will have some effect.

The ECU safeguard will still be in place so if you overcook things the ECU will go into limp mode and try to limit damage,

I do realise that it is a cheap way to get more power, but none of the other settings will be adjusted to compensate. Therefore you may end not getting enough fuel etc..

I would say chip it rather then mess around with one of these.

I would go for a chip in preference too.

The Audi ECU is very good at making appropriate fuelling / ignition modifications itself to cope with these cheap bolt ons.

I have been playing with the boost on my car recently on the rolling road, and despite adjusting only boost, the mixture remained fine, and well within the comfort zone.

Ah right thanks for that input. I didn't realise that the ECU was like that.

Might consider one at some stage then.

Mines running 0.5 bar at the min how much could you risk taking this up by?

Don't knock it. MBC's are very popular stateside. Many people use them to good effect.

Remember, our ECU CAN safely compensate for the changes to an extent.

See hear for another type http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/boostmachine/boostmachine.htm

Also the power on later DBW cars can be successfully upped to approx 200bhp just by adding a zenner diode to the MAP sensor!! (notice I said MAP and not MAF).

Just do a search on the 1.8T section on VWVortex website.

I was going to say earlier that I had read a bit about them and they got a good write up, but thought I might get a bit ridiculed.

They do seem to be a very DIY way to modify the performance. Very cheap though.

I would be happy if I got one fitted at the same time as a chip and it all got set up properly. Dont think I would trust myself if I fitted it as it would just be on maximum till smoke poured out the back!