AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Why has my MPG dropped???

1st Gear

Status

Why has my MPG dropped???

I've got a 2001 S3 with the AMK engine. About 2 weeks ago I removed the fuel injectors and sent them away to be cleaned and flow tested. I also changed the spark plugs at the same time and took the inlet manifold off to clean it up and spray it black.

I hoped that doing the injectors and plugs would improve my MPG which had been sitting at 24-25mpg on the DIS but since re-fitting everything I'm only getting 22! I've covered about 250 miles since and it's not improving, I if I give it some beans it drops even further. Is this normal and will it improve once I cover some more miles? Even when I've disconnected the battery in the past I've never had an average MPG that low after a couple of hundred miles.

The car is fine to drive and there's no apparent loss of power. No improvement in power either unfortunately but the report that came back with the injectors only showed a 2 to 4% improvement in flow rate per injector so I wasn't expecting much.

I've re-checked everything that I'd messed around with, I can't find any vacuum or fuel leaks and all the electrical connections look good. I've scanned the car for fault codes after every drive but there are none stored in the ECU. I did get an error code of 18010 to do with low voltage when I first started it but I understand that's normal when the battery has been disconnected for a while, I cleared it and it hasn't come back.

Should I just wait and see whether the MPG gets better over time or is there anything else I can check?

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Now: 2001 S3 Nogaro Blue
    Then: 2000 S3 Black

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    does it get up to temperature? 90°C?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

2nd Gear

Status
    when I cleaned my injectors, I went from 30.5 up to 34 mpg so doubt it is that.
    Current

Porsche Cayman S

Gone but not forgotten
    Audi S3:Blueflame TBE; 3" blueflame downpipe; Forge 007p; jabbasport custom map; Badger 5 TIP v1, various bushes, N249 Bypass, Stack Boost Gauge, Junior GT Brembo brakes, tarox 2 part discs, DS2500's

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S1LFH View Post
    If you want anything doing right do it yourself.......

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Are you driving the car any different?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Have you started to flick your aircon on during the hotter weather? That would reduce your mpg by about 10%.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

Status
    i would wip the injectors back out and have a look over them make sure there nothing blocking them.

fuel filter could be one may need changing.

check under the car when running make sure you not leaking any where had this one before caught my fuel lines on old car when the put it on the ramps and put small split in line.

clean the sensor for the dis i think iirc its under the rear seats on the drivers side

Boost Addict :)

Status
    tyre pressures? sounds stupid but even small changes can make big impacts on mpg

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S1LFH View Post
    34 MPG? Holy hell, I wish I got that :-(

My DIS claims on the motorway it's getting ~45 MPG. But that is just an outright lie.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    MPG's over rated. I've been getting better mpg than all of you this past few weeks but its BORING and I'd happily give it up!

OP - How olds your MAF?

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    My DIS claims on the motorway it's getting ~45 MPG. But that is just an outright lie.
    I'm testing my DIS ave trip MPG against the fuelly.com calculated trip mpg. Only done two tanks, so far the DIS mpg is over by 2.5% and 1.2%...

Wish i could average 34 mpg
    Alex S3 AMK

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookstein View Post
    I'm testing my DIS ave trip MPG against the fuelly.com calculated trip mpg. Only done two tanks, so far the DIS mpg is over by 2.5% and 1.2%...

Wish i could average 34 mpg
    I've registered on it - but I am too scared to actually do it.... lol. T'would be too depressing.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world

1st Gear

Status
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try and tackle then one by one:

Water temp: The car has always got up to 90 degrees nicely and stayed there, it still does so I don't think that's the problem.

Driving style: When I first put the car back together I did put my foot down a bit more than usual, it's the done thing when you've modded something. I'm sure painting the inlet manifold should have gained me 50bhp ;-). For the last week though I've been driving like a granny and the MPG is still super low.

Aircon: Ever since I've had the car
    I've left the climate control to do it's own thing all year round. Maybe that's why my MPG was only 25ish before, I'll turn it off for the next few days and see if there's any improvement.

Fuel filter: Good idea, I'm getting this changed today, I've asked the mechanic to check all the fuel lines for leaks as well.

DIS sensor: I wasn't aware of this, I'll check it out. Anyone taken their's out before?

Tyre pressures: I had new 4 tyres fitted a month ago, they inflated them to 34psi. I checked them at the weekend and they were all the same. Is 34psi about right for Toyo Proxes on the standard Avus rims?

Cheers for the help guys.

3rd Gear

Status
    Cmon register and see. It cant be that bad. My last car I was getting on average 7 miles/gallon. It was costing me an absolute fortune as it was my daily driver also.

1st Gear

Status
    OP - How olds your MAF?
    At least 1.5 years which is how long I've had the car. Maybe it is time for a new one. Is there any way of testing them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    you need to log the MAF at some point and see what she pulls. My guess is a sub par MAF as stated.

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    I run 36 psi rear and 34 psi front on my Avus'

1st Gear

Status
    I don't have VAGCOM yet, although I want to buy it soon. I've got a Liquid boost gauge and a handheld Sealey VAG scanner, can I test the MAF with the liquid?

Edited: Reason fat fingers, little iPhone.
    damo.h likes this.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralWest View Post
    I don't have VAGCOM yet, although I want to buy it soon. I've got a Liquid boost gauge and a handheld Sealey VAG scanner, can I test the MAF with the liquid?

Edited: Reason fat fingers, little iPhone.
    Yes you can.... mass air flow on the liquid and get it as close to the redline as safe/possible it will hold the peak value post back the result.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Yes you can.... mass air flow on the liquid and get it as close to the redline as safe/possible it will hold the peak value post back the result.
    Nice one. I'll go for a drive tonight and check that. I'll post the result up later. Just so I know, what kind of number should I expect if the MAF is good? My engine is pretty much standard, no remap (yet!).

6th Gear

Status
    Alex S3 AMK

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    yeah ^^ 165 - 180 G/S ish depending if you are 210 or 225 originally

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers lads.

1st Gear

Status
    I think I may have found the problem: there is a breather hose which runs from under the manifold and goes up to the jumble of hoses on the top of the engine. It wasn't sealing properly at the manifold end. I must have missed it when I rechecked everything the other day, doh. Would this cause crappy MPG but no noticeable loss in power?

I've had the fuel filter changed anyway and I'll test the airflow tonight just to make sure.

6th Gear

Status
    maybe, im guessing it the hose from the manifold that goes to the N249 and then onto the DV. Would have been a boost leak, engine (MAF) would have thought there was more air than there actually was and subsequently overfuelled
    Alex S3 AMK

1st Gear

Status
    im guessing it the hose from the manifold that goes to the N249 and then onto the DV.
    Yep, that sounds like the one. Hopefully it was the cause of my problem.

1st Gear

Status
    Right, thanks for the help everyone. It seems the loose hose was the cause of my problem. Just driven about 30 miles an managed an average of 29mpg, the best I've ever had!

I stilI want to test my MAF just to be sure but I didn't get a chance to log the airflow because of traffic. My favourite stretch of private road should be pretty much deserted on my way home tonight, so I'll do that then.

1st Gear

Status
    I think I may have found the problem: there is a breather hose which runs from under the manifold and goes up to the jumble of hoses on the top of the engine. It wasn't sealing properly at the manifold end. I must have missed it when I rechecked everything the other day, doh. Would this cause crappy MPG but no noticeable loss in power?

I've had the fuel filter changed anyway and I'll test the airflow tonight just to make sure.
    My MPG bombed due to the top breather pipe being split went down to 22mpg approx from about 27mpgs (around town), replaced it and its back up to 27mpg again.
    2002 A3 1.8T

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MingeBlue View Post
    My MPG bombed due to the top breather pipe being split went down to 22mpg approx from about 27mpgs (around town), replaced it and its back up to 27mpg again.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've already been through the nightmare of dodgy breather hoses, I replaced them all last month after they started breaking down and blocked my oil pickup with melted rubber. I'm glad I caught it in time, it came very close to writing my engine off.

I gave my car a good run last night and could only get a maximum airflow of 157 g/s even at the redline. Does this mean my MAF is on the way out?

Just out of interest, what does g/s actually mean, is it grams per second?

colicabcadam
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Have you started to flick your aircon on during the hotter weather? That would reduce your mpg by about 10%.
    10% are you sure, i very much doubt this!

Chugger

Status
    Is say 10% is very accurate, aircon put a substantial load on the engine. Your g/s reading doesn't seem to bad, not worth changing IMO. 168g/s is ment to be exactly 210 bhp...
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Chugger

Status
    Ops just seen yours is 157, that's not great, did you test it in 4th? As that's when max load occurs
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sportstractor View Post
    Ops just seen yours is 157, that's not great, did you test it in 4th? As that's when max load occurs
    Yes mate, I tried in 3rd and 4th. I'll give it another go tonight just to make sure, but to be honest I think I'll change it tomorrow morning anyway and see if it makes any difference to the reading.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    What is everyone using to measure their mpg ?

I looked at the on-board computer and it says that I'm getting 11.2mpg.......lol
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 T View Post
    What is everyone using to measure their mpg ?

I looked at the on-board computer and it says that I'm getting 11.2mpg.......lol
    I'm using the on-board computer too, although it's not 100% accurate it does give you a rough idea. Are you sure you sure that you are looking at the average comsumption rather than the instantaneous? The average has a symbol before the numbers like a circle with a diagonal line through it.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I'm using the on-board computer too, although it's not 100% accurate it does give you a rough idea. Are you sure you sure that you are looking at the average comsumption rather than the instantaneous? The average has a symbol before the numbers like a circle with a diagonal line through it.

This is the one I'm using mate (looks like its gone up a bit....lol ) :

Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

Status
    owch 11.5 think mine goes around that when booting the car and 4mpg when flat out normal driving around 25mpg

6th Gear

Status
    yeah, got to be something wrong there....? surely. Have you got any lights blinking at you? Fault codes?
    Alex S3 AMK

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    If you calculate your true MPG by brimming the tank and compare it against the DIS figure few times and take an average you can change the DIS correction value using VAG-COM so it gives a you the actual MPG you're getting.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    yeah, got to be something wrong there....? surely. Have you got any lights blinking at you? Fault codes?
    What sort of lights.....lol

And nope no fault codes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aar0n View Post
    If you calculate your true MPG by brimming the tank and compare it against the DIS figure few times and take an average you can change the DIS correction value using VAG-COM so it gives a you the actual MPG you're getting.
    So could it be that the on board computer is just out of sync ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast