please please help got a big problem with my clutch

davidniclee

Reaction score
as above was at a junction earlyer and had my clutch in and then i heard a crack noise like plastic broke,and my clutch pedel was flat on the floor and wouldent come back up, so i pushed the car to the side of road and looked and a peice of black plastic was on floor,anyway got my car back to work and got another black plastic clip which i fitted and then i pressed the clutch and it happend again the plastic broke ,does this mean the slave cylinder as gone or is it the master thats gone, all and any help would be great and very much appreaciated thanks dave

p.s have got a price of £30 for slave clinder in the scrap yard

from what i can gather the slave cyilinder is fixed the the clutch pedel assembley only 3-4 bolts hold it on ,the master cylinder is the hard one iv been told and the slave one meant to be easy but iv no idea so im hoping its the pedel assembley and not the master cylinder

When you say on the floor do you mean in the car? If so its the master cylinder and the easier of the two to do. Genuine are £57ish +VAT

Alex

When you say on the floor do you mean in the car? If so its the master cylinder and the easier of the two to do. Genuine are £57ish +VAT

Alex

yes inside the car the bloke in the srappy said its the slave cylinder its all one piece with the clutch pedal .

then the master cylinder is inside or near the gear box thats what he told me he said if the master cylinder has gone th clutch will need changing because hydrolic fluid gets on the clutch he said

its the master cylinder by the pedal. slave is in the box as it is part of the thrust bearing. unfortunately I found this out last week!

so whats the chances of it beng the one by the pedal does anyone know or is it more likley to be the one in the gear box

Well when mine went last week you could either have the pedal right up or flat to the floor, so i dont think its the slave cylinder, apparently the pedal is common to breaking, so if you have plastic bits in your footwell its more likely the pedal

From how you explain your problem it's nothing to do with your slave or master cylinder, it sounds like actual peddle is knackered, the crack you heard and the piece of plastic you describe is what happens, do a search, lots of people had the same problem.

And for the record your local scrap dealer sounds like he hasn't got clue what he's on about...

Do any of the bits of plastic look like this?

4be0f7ca.jpg

fc668497.jpg

3cc09aa1.jpg

99% sure it's just your pedal. Mine did it and when I bought a new pedal I saw why ! There's a tab that is folded over and just tack welded, it's that tab that pushes the master cylinder and eventually snaps off. I had my new one welded all the way round before refitting. I posted the whole process but it was about 5 years ago now

well iv just fitted a new clutch pedal assembly the master cylinder the lot, bled the system and its working fine thanks for all your help guys very greatful, and in the pic above its the little black bit of plastic that cracked its what holds the white piece in place so thats what the problem was,
but did have orangey fluid coming out of the master cylinder inside car so changed the lot 2day

like i said thanks for all the help guys

thermostat next