a3 1.8t noisy/loud on start up.

wossy57

Reaction score
hi basically i was just wondering if the above is normal?

cheers
ross

try and explain what noise it makes mate as it could be a few things

it just sounded like a diesel i guess, for about 5 seconds then was quiet as anything. i dont really know how else to describe it?

does it do it every time? only from cold? or when hot aswell? any idea if its coming from the top end of the engine or one of the ancillary parts?? like i said it could be a few different things lol :)

i have never really tried starting it when its hot, it sounds abit like its coming from the top of the engine, do you know of anything common that would cause it to be noisy for such a short period?

well you might have a sticky lifter or might not be getting good oil pressure into the head on startup, but i wouldnt want to give a definate answer because ive never really heard of these suffering from that, im sure someone will be able to give you more help

cheers, it has only done it a couple of times from cold, and other than that its fine. thanks again.

i wouldnt worry too much about it, aslong as it stops sharpish and the engine runs fine/ pulls nice in all the gears it cant be anything too drastic! might be worth checking when the oil was last done and sticking some fresh in there if its been a while

Hi dude id say its your manifold thats got a slight fracture. That or your pick up pipe and the bottom ends gone but you would definitley know about that and it wouldnt be goin away lol.also engine code would come up .

could be the manifold-turbo or turbo-downpipe gasket is on its way out aswell, had that with my old 1.8t, would blow on start up until it warmed up and expanded

just get a mate to start it up from cold and put ur head right at the back of the engine bay as close to the turbo/ehxuast as possible and have a listen. has to be from cold though

appreciate your help mate, il update with what i find.

Make sure you have the correct oil in there 5w 40 and a new oil filter, it might be worth taking the sump off and checking the oil pickup isn't blocked, making it hard for the oil to get up to pressure.

if your talking about the pre warm up mine does this quiet loud as its ideal is at 1.5k for a few seconds then you will hear a whistle this is when the pressure has been released and will return to 780-800revs mine does this all the time from cold once warmed up it will just kick over every time without this noise.

See i thought it sounded like a pre-warm up phase but as i dont have much knowledge about audis i thought the worst.

if your talking about the pre warm up mine does this quiet loud as its ideal is at 1.5k for a few seconds then you will hear a whistle this is when the pressure has been released and will return to 780-800revs mine does this all the time from cold once warmed up it will just kick over every time without this noise.

Exactly the same as mine

the wistle noise you are hearing is the air pump running, its an electric almost turbo type pump that pumps fresh air into the intake system to help emmisions when the engine is cold.

It could be the non-return valve in the back oil filter housing. They can sometimes wind out, which will cause the engine to rattle like it has no oil in it for a few seconds at startup then will go quiet as the oil gets pumped round.

I have just joined to try to track this one down.

My 8L 1.8T has started to rattle around the accessory end of the engine during cold startups. It doesn't happen every startup but the frequency is increasing. Recently serviced and extremely low k's/miles, it sounds like it is coming from a belt tensioner or something in the front.

I wonder if this is the same noise?