140mph+ Limiter?

Ryan_W

Reaction score
Guys,

Took the car down my local private runway last night.

The car pulls like a dream to around 140mph, but then after than it seems to stop and go, like it's hitting a speed limiter? The car has power and then dies off, then has power and dies off...

Thing is, the car does it from around 140-150mph (clock readings).

I did think it may be an over-boost issue, but why would it only do it at V-max?

I thought these cars were good for 160mph-ish with a Stg 1 remap (which mine has)?

Cheers all,

Ryan

I got mine to about 150 when it was stage 1, it would struggle to do 160 though, if atall. Maybe you have a leak?

I suspect EGT protection is kicking in as the engine has got hot and dumping fuel killing your power...

If the only mod to your car is a stage 1 map then it will be glowing like the sun under the bonnet...

<tuffty/>

Reactions: s33nyboy12
Never experienced a limiter in mine

No, private runways allow me off the clock now without issue.

No limiters on the 8Ls.

As Tuffty says, EGTs will be like the surface of the sun, the engine will be dumping lots of extra fuel in to dissipate the heat, killing the power off.

Intercooler and exhaust needed then!

What's the standard book speed for these?

I've seen 150 on my clocks and it was still going, took almost forever to get to 150, I think 152/3 maybe it's limit on the clock for a stage1 map, but I have nothing to verify the exact speed.

Had mine 2 yearsAnd is standard never gone over 80 lmao

i have had 155 out of my s3, but it took forever from 140mph, you have to remember that at that speed you are loosing a lot of torque due to the turbo not being able to provide as much boost at such high RPMs

wellys right, a barn complete with a cockeral weather vane would be a good comparison.

im just saying its not the most aerodynamic of shapes. i did find the drag coefficient of the 8l once.
thinking about it you could probably work out how much power you'd need to acheive a certain speed. hmmmm.....

f1 car is very high, but thats due to its need for downforce and has the power and aerodynamics to overcome it because it has such a small frontal area.
the 8l has a drag coefficient of 0.31, same as a citroen ax lol, but also the same as a 911 turbo or lexus lfa. its the actual drag force itself thats pretty high, because its such a fat stubby car and the frontal area is quite big.

Yeah... 160 ain't going to happen on a standish car. You need alot more power to be hauling the s3s fat **** near those speeds

I was mostly concerned about the lack of power and the surging.... It must be down the EGTs, but why would it happen on my car and not on others? Bad map by AMD maybe?

Ryan

Ummmm, I have my car booked into AMD :s

So hope its not to do with there Re-map- I've only ever heard positive things from them?

Chris

Have had an indicated 155 out of a certain persons stage 1 A3 with 3" downpipe and decat on a certain persons private runway. I've also had the same on another persons stripped stage 2 A3 on a similar private runway with the same downpipe and decat.

LOL, everyone here has some rich friends with their own runways.

My mate with his private runway is minted.... his name is Dave Davison the 3rd.

:lmfao:

Speaking of airfields are we going to try and get to kemble or whereever it was?

I've got a friend who works for Air Salvage International who operate from Kemble, I could get us a bit of time there ;)

I've got a friend who works for Air Salvage International who operate from Kemble, I could get us a bit of time there ;)

Could you find out. Won't be for a few weeks really, but would be good to find out sooner rather than later.

I was mostly concerned about the lack of power and the surging.... It must be down the EGTs, but why would it happen on my car and not on others? Bad map by AMD maybe?

Ryan

Subjective at best mate tbh... facts are that K04 turbo'd cars have high EGT's... Audi realised this which is why they fitted the EGT probe to the later models (AMK/BAM)... stage 1 mapped S3's with no other mods will just get hot... ECU will dump fuel when EGT's hit 925 degrees... you can mitigate against this by fitting a 3" DP and sports CAT and a decent FMIC... all those mods help keep things cooler but do not prevent it from ever happening...

I have seen maps from less scrupulous tuners run quite lean and this will get highish power figures (once!) but get things hot quickly and heatsoak and high EGT's will kill top end power (which you would need to achieve 150 odd mph)

<tuffty/>

Sorry to interject with my usual dose of cynisim, but surely what ultimately governs your top speed is the gearing on the car?
So unless you have:
Removed the rev limiter;
Re-geared the car; or
Fitted tyres with a different rolling circumference
all S3's should in theory eventually max out at very similar top speeds. You might have to take it to Ehra-Lessien to get there, but it in theory will get there eventually. OK, more power/torque might mean you get to Vmax quicker but having 1000bhp won't actually mean you will go any faster.

I appreciate that at the limit the discussions about the engine protecting itself and hence cutting power will mean that in reality some cars won't ever get there.

Last edited:
Sorry to interject with my usual dose of cynisim, but surely what ultimately governs your top speed is the gearing on the car?
So unless you have:
Removed the rev limiter;
Re-geared the car; or
Fitted tyres with a different rolling circumference
all S3's should in theory eventually max out at very similar top speeds. You might have to take it to Ehra-Lessien to get there, but it in theory will get there eventually. OK, more power/torque might mean you get to Vmax quicker but having 1000bhp won't actually mean you will go any faster.

You have edited yours since I originally posted.

However, theoretical top speed of an S3 is 187MPH IIRC.

Who was that bole now that used to be on here, dave bryeson or sumet like that, he worked put the exact speed a s3 could achieve with the current gearbox that most of us run and the aerodynamics that the s3 has.

Was quite an interesting thread.