After market gear knob and hand brake?

Markb

Reaction score
As subject what available for my 5 speed car?

I've seen this gear knob from VAG Parts:

S-Line_132x135.jpg

VAG

and this gear knob from Awesome:

a3mhwgks.jpg

Awesome

Both are OK, but I want something more OEM looking like the ones you get in a TT etc...

Also what hand brake covers fit?

Cheers guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Why not get a TT one from a 150bhp model then? That'll be a 5 speed knob

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Already got one from a 5 speed TT. Different thread in the centre of it.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, those will be flamin freezing on a cold day.

There is a nice "sporty" beetle one available that fits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one.

Have you got a pic or a link?

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, thats the one.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is it the same shaft as the Audi? As I asked about a Golf gear knob before at VW and they said the shaft on the box was different.

The shafts for the 1.8l engines should be the same as they use a cable mech. The 1.4/1.6 etc use rod mechanisms, so they tend to be different. I'll see if I can check it out for sure.

[ QUOTE ]
The shafts for the 1.8l engines should be the same as they use a cable mech. The 1.4/1.6 etc use rod mechanisms, so they tend to be different. I'll see if I can check it out for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could check that would be great as I do like that gear knob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering about the handbrake cover too - I wondered about swapping mine for the S3 one that I believe is in to parts. The A3 one looks a bit cheap. Does anybody have any pics (Pre-facelift just incase its differant)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question.

Not seen the S3 item.

Momo do one especially for the Audi/Vw which looks really nice & tasty (which i have on mine)

Bit on the tad expensive side mind @just shy of £80.00

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, those will be flamin freezing on a cold day.

There is a nice "sporty" beetle one available that fits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet Jesus ain't THAT the truth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

I have the B&M Short Shifter on my TQ and the Aluminium knob gets VERY cold overnight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Momo do one especially for the Audi/Vw which looks really nice & tasty (which i have on mine)

Bit on the tad expensive side mind @just shy of £80.00

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you got any pics?

Just a note for anyone buying the S3 sport gear knob from VAG parts at the top of the page...

I was given one as a christmas pressie... it arrived 4 weeks after ordering even though it's on there website, it's not a stock item!!!

It doesn't fit my pre-facelift S3 either, the gaitor around the base that clicks into the trim is completly wrong, when I phoned them up they said.. "oh we've never heard of this before" and called me back later to only say that I'd need to swap the boots over... which I would say is more than a little discusting as it was over £100 inc vat and delivery!

although saying that I'm sure if I had complained further I would have had help from them, so not all bad.

forgot to add, it does get cold but so far this year it's been a lot better to hold that the OE one, and it being cold stops you holding onto it and buggering your gearbox... warms up quick too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

so come to think of it if anyone needs a new leather bit for the base of there gear stick I have one... there not too bad to swap over either...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif - couldn't resist...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you could check that would be great as I do like that gear knob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick Q did you manage to find out?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-thread then, really easy to do once you have the right tools. Just a thought!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quick Q did you manage to find out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, totally forgot....sorry.

Anyways, they are the same size knob. I'll show you what I mean. If you take a look at the following pics you can see the same part number is listed for golfs and beetles as well.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.yeoman/EarlyGearLever.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.yeoman/LateGearLever.jpg

The two pics are of the two types of cable shift mech. the first one is the early type (which you have), and the second is the late type.All you need to do is get the correct year part for your car.

You will probably need to fit your existing gator to the new knob, but I'm not to sure about that one.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-thread then, really easy to do once you have the right tools. Just a thought!

[/ QUOTE ]

Different boot for the gaitor

[ QUOTE ]
well I would then say re-trim but then that would be going too far! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a tad LOL

I hope the VW one will fit as I like that. Just the gaitor problem again /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Mark,

If you use the Momo one, you can use the existing gator......I'll take some pic's tonight.

Jay

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers if you could do as I am not convinced at the mo.

I bought a momo knob, a mono gaitor, and fitted it around the base of the OE gaitor. removed the leather from the base, a fitted the momo gaitor to that. The momo gaitor screws onto the botton of the knob and looks OE.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
I bought a momo knob, a mono gaitor, and fitted it around the base of the OE gaitor. removed the leather from the base, a fitted the momo gaitor to that. The momo gaitor screws onto the botton of the knob and looks OE.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get some pics for me?

I'll see what i can do. Im changing the know for a leathe ball type one... Dont like the one i have. its the 'Raptor' i think with a silly hole through the middle of it.

Rich

Not the best pic Mark, was taken by the missus on her phone (as she drives it to work)
Image_05.jpg

Sorry about the size also, think because she MMS it to me!

But you get the general idea!