Which cars should an S3 NOT challenge in a race?

Rhunster

Reaction score
I'm quite a newbie to owning an S3, and I had a good laugh reading another thread on this forum about racing Boxsters....which lead me on to this thought........ I just want to know if anyone could list other cars that an S3 driver should never challenge to a race (on a motorway or from traffic lights) for fear of being made to look a fool. I'm not a boy racer, never have been and never will be, but I like that cool feeling you get when you pull up alongside boy racer type cars at traffic lights and you just say to yourself "Oh....you're so mine!!!".
Know what I mean?
No..?
Ok...just me....

I'd particularly be interested in hearing any challenges relating to Renault Megane Sports or Golf GTIs.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cheers
Rhunster

[ QUOTE ]
In light of the recent Boxter thread...is this one really going anywhere?
Probably not...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking

E46 M3, M5 (all of them) and M6 when it arrives to our shores!

[ QUOTE ]
In light of the recent Boxter thread...is this one really going anywhere?
Probably not...

[/ QUOTE ]

My point Glen - why do ppl like to duplicate threads - its ok to post twice but not post two threads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I’ll race anything, just for the sakes of putting my foot down! For others may think you’re a fool, to me it’s just puts another smile on my face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Which cars should an S3 NOT challenge in a race?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything with less that 100bhp, you'll just be wasting your Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Any TVR unless you like the view of the exhausts

[ QUOTE ]
Any TVR unless you like the view of the exhausts

[/ QUOTE ]

It's probably got me licked in a straight line, but I would be interested to see a TVR try and pull away from me in the wet around some twisty tarmac.

[ QUOTE ]
Me

[/ QUOTE ]
i concour. ive seen what ur car can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

IIR it will be because the Impreza P1 is as about as close to the rally version of the Colin McCray WRC winning car of 99 as you can get, so it is lightened, tightened and all that.

A chipped S3 is "just a chipped S3" so the 20bhp more that the Scooby has is not all that it has, it is a lot lighter and "set up" better, on comparison a chipped RS3 (if there was a 8L version) would be about the equivalent.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Me

[/ QUOTE ]
i concour. ive seen what ur car can do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You've seen it, I've experienced it!

[ QUOTE ]
IIR it will be because the Impreza P1 is as about as close to the rally version of the Colin McCray WRC winning car of 99 as you can get, so it is lightened, tightened and all that.

A chipped S3 is "just a chipped S3" so the 20bhp more that the Scooby has is not all that it has, it is a lot lighter and "set up" better, on comparison a chipped RS3 (if there was a 8L version) would be about the equivalent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely, the Impreza P1 is a rally car made for road use, and the S3 is a tarted up hatchback a classy and refined one at that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

if you ever see a Mk.2 Golf which is making a noise like a hovercraft and is left hand drive , i wouldn't bother !
Trust me i used to own one .

Ah a G60 or rallye?? i know these sounds and look awesome.
Bloke has a blue one near me with the plate 'B4D VW' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

G60 , it was a fantastic car , i really do miss it !
Gonna have to get the S chipped that should make me smile like a cheshire cat again !

I got my *** handed to me on a plate on Friday afternoon... thought I'd try my luck with an M3.

Turned out to be an M3 CSL !!!

Ouch!! That must have hurt Imola! But also good at the same time.

The best part of picking a "race" with a car such as a Porsche or BMW M3 etc. is hearing the noise of their car, and seeing the rate at which they leave you behind. I love getting my **** kicked by such cars. But I find its very rare that they take the bait.

AL

[ QUOTE ]
Well I have 2 new car defiantly not to race.

I went around to see 2 of my mates today as they wanted to see my car with the AMD remap. They were both very impressed with the torque especially with 3 up and being a 1.8t engine, a big grin from me and a nice pat of the car to say thanks for not showing me up. Then we took my mates Supra 6 speed turbo out for a spin, WOW it's fast but in a different way, that bigger engine and twin turbo makes the power line very smooth. Took control of the wheel on the trip back and tested it's performance. Well it was very fast and would /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif all over the S3 but from traffic lights in damp conditions like today it would have wheel spun if half plus power was pushed down from start.

Next came my other mate’s car a Subaru P1. It's 278bhp and lighter 1300kg. He took the wheel on the same trip again 3 up and it fly's the power band it so much stronger than the S3. The torque was off the scale compared to the S3 and speed amazing. Again at the half way mark I took the wheel. I like to think I can drive fairly well and my friends certainly do. All I can say is WOW this car flies. For a similar spec'ed car in term of engine capacity, 4WD, turbo etc this car is in another league. The power was out of this world and before I new it I was hooked. From the traffic light to the right hand turn I needed to make I hit 60 and back to 10mph in about 250 metres. What really impressed me were the brakes. I was 3 up going down a 5 to 10% gradient, in damp conditions on a wide road with houses either side just a straight road hitting 110mph within 10 seconds, then I hit the brakes, the car doesn't veer or lock up it just slows to a very quick halt. the brakes are something else, prodrive upgrades which fit the 17" alloys with m-meters to spare. This has made me really think about brakes and how poor the S3 ones are in comparison. Just imagine how the S3 would have coped if put in this scenario.

So why is the P1 so much faster than the S3 with just a 20bhp increase on a chipped S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brakes are next on my list - Rich is doing a group buy on the ECS tuning stuff if you're interested - easy to fit too.

A

[ QUOTE ]
I got my *** handed to me on a plate on Friday afternoon... thought I'd try my luck with an M3.

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard M3 would hand you your *** too - on a steel platter rather than carbonfibre though...

...yes and before any clever B"1stard points out this is not I car I know, it just provided such good entertainment on the way to work this morning that I thought I'd mention it.

FatLad, I think your missing the point. The thread is labelled 'Which CARS should an S3 NOT challenge in a race' not which man made object.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard M3 would hand you your *** too - on a steel platter rather than carbonfibre though...

[/ QUOTE ]
I know... but it's fun trying though!

Im really getting into M3's though i never used to like the E36's.

I've looked at the same one a couple of times now and im intruiged to know if they all sound so bad on tick over - anyone know? They sound like a 1.1 fiesta, really tappetty till you rev. Is this normal???