Baffled sump kit/ DIY Baffled sump

Rob_B

Reaction score
hi chaps,
after my recent misfortunes im looking to baffle my sump and was just wondering if anyone knows of a reasonable priced kit or is there a DIY one that someone has done?

regards
rob

yes i know some very good ally welders, jut wanted to see if someone knows of a thread on this forum or any other forum that will help with with designing it?

Whats been your recent misfortune bud? Sump related?

track day, oil starvation, screwed bottom end :(

Baffled sump? Track use I take it? I doubt you will find any designs but would be easy to design providing you get clearances correct. Not what your after, but I was reading into those accusumps a while back, ideal bit of kit, especially if your expecting loss of oil pressure. Also reduces wear on startup

yeah i was looking at them too...if i went for the accusump im guessing i wouldnt need a baffled sump? and yes its in regards track use

track day, oil starvation, screwed bottom end :(

EEK!

This scares me a little! Not had a problem YET in mine, but most definitely looking to get a baffled sump soon!

What were the signs before it went Rob? or did it just suddenly start knocking?

Bill runs a Backdraught sump, sticky tyres, big brakes and a light car will be the issue for you Nick... if I was doing serious tack day stuff like you I would be considering a baffled sump tbh... the Backdraught ones are based on the SEAT Sport sumps done for the factory race cars...

<tuffty/>

One here which seems one of the best prices I've seen:

Pro Alloy Motorsport - Alloy Racing Tanks - VAG 1.8T Baffled Sump

the pictured pro-alloy one makes me nervous of the rubber baffles only being retained by their 2 little "pips"
I have known 2 sumps of this "ilk" detach a rubber baffle, which unluckily for the owners got sucked into the oil pickup pipe, causeing loss of oil pressure and.... well, you can imagine.

SEAT Sport sumps, of which there are copies of, have a large full width rubber baffle which does not come off. This is the type I run and use, and they are now available thru backdraft motorsport

EEK!

This scares me a little! Not had a problem YET in mine, but most definitely looking to get a baffled sump soon!

What were the signs before it went Rob? or did it just suddenly start knocking?

oil pressure light came on and soon after that the car died, very very sudden really i was extremely shocked and rather annoyed as you can imagine

can anyone tell me the thickness of the ally plates in the baffled sump?

thats cool, i wont be welding it ;) a good friend of mine runs a precision engineering company, so one of this decent ally welders are gonna do the job for me hopefully