cambelt snap!!!

s3 beast

Reaction score
hi guys

just got my s3 and while driving is made a loud bang and lost power?? could this be cambelt snap :(

if so will all 20valves bend??

what needs to be changed??

the car just makes a whining noise and wont start...

plz advise

thanks alot

Sounds plausible... if it has snapped then yes its fair to say all 20 valves will have bent and essentially means a new head and valves at the very least...

You should be able to check by removing the cam belt cover (or moving it up enough to look in at least as they can be a right ****** to remove) and having a look...

Bad luck fella if that the case...

<tuffty/>

i have removed the cambelt cover and the belt is in place but the car wont start.

Where are you based mate? Maybe worth looking for a memeber who has vagcom and getting it scanned.

Checked for fault codes yet? I'd start there before doing anything else... I wouldn't keep turning the car over either as if the cam belt has slipped (not snapped, it will slip if the tensioner damper have given up as they don't get changed as part of a dealer cam belt job) as if this is the case you could end up doing more damage to your engine than is already there...

<tuffty/>

Sounds like a boost pipe blown off. If it has it won't start either.

It will still fire with a blown boost hose, I driven mine back 6 miles after popping a FMIC hose.

Take the plugs out and turn the engine very slowly from the crank with a 19mm double hex and see if the pistons move as Dave said. Could also be Cam sprocket Woodruf key.

Maybe the duel mass flywheel has given up, which would explain the engine not turning over on the key and the whining, loss of power.

My belt was intact but it has stripped about 6" of teeth of. Try turning it over by hand, if it gets stuck or the belt isn't going round while the crank it's stripped some teeth off.

My boost pipe poped off the other night with a laud bang and wouldn't start, it was the 90 degree one coming off the turbo to charge pipe. Check that?

thanks for all the info i think the cambelt snapped. it wa a really loud bang and some smoke from the exhaust..... i think i need the cam belt and head gasket and valves? or is it better to get a new head??

i am in south Africa as well.

any views??

the mac will have a look on thursday thou!!!

im prayn its not cambelt thou!! i just need to get it opened and checked thou...

i was in 2nd gear and once put in 3rd it just stalled with a loud bang and power shut off, what you guys think??? and when i try startn it makes a whining noise and wont start, i saw the belt from top it seems ok to me. what can it be thou

Sounds like typical belt symptoms to me. Have you tried turning it over by hand? Whip the charge pipe off and remove the belt cover fully then turn the engine over by hand, you should be able to feel any missing teeth on the belt.

I bent 12, all 8 exhaust and the front 4 intake. I got my own head repaired for £125 and refit that, still ended up costing £400 though after new belt and tensioners, water pump, gasket set, head bolts etc. Obviously this'll be different for you though.

im prayn its not cambelt thou!! i just need to get it opened and checked thou...

i was in 2nd gear and once put in 3rd it just stalled with a loud bang and power shut off, what you guys think??? and when i try startn it makes a whining noise and wont start, i saw the belt from top it seems ok to me. what can it be thou

You have had the most probable suggestions thats as far as we can go.... you need to get it looked at, and i would not be turning it over until you know .....

thanks guys..

i will have it checked up as soon as i can. will that pipe from the airbox to the turbo not cause that as that was out totally.???

will keep you guys posted...