Buying my first Audi

Mikeair46

Reaction score
Hi there, im new to this site and new to audi's!
Ive decided to upgrade my car and an S3 fits the bill perfectly. I've had a good look on a fair few forums for general advice on what to look out for when buying an S3, common things like rust on roof rails and door bottoms sound simple enough to spot, but are their any other things to watch out for?

I have seen what looks like a spotless 2001 Y reg 210hp facelift with 95k on the clock. I'm going to drive it today and have another good look at it. The dealer wants £5290 and won't budge on price. I'm yet to find out if it has fsh Inc cam belt and water pump change (I'm assuming it has but you never know :-/ ). But if it has and drives fine is it a fair price to pay?

It's the first one I've looked at as twice I've arranged to look at one and they have sold, so I'm cautious of buying the 1st I see, but it really looked spotless, and had the Bose stereo etc which us a bonus.

Anyway, any feedback and advice would be greatly received,

Thanks in advance, mike.

Hi and welcome

I brought one about 3-4 weeks ago it took me around 1000 miles of travelling to find the right one for me....I took my mechanic with me to give the cars a once over...but makes sure you do the mileage check we had a couple that said 95000k but on after going to the VOSA website to do the check (which is free) they came back 150,000 plus miles.

day

Seems an ok price if it's tidy. Been thinking of selling mine but I would only get about that... So not worth it for me. Don't get hung up on Bose, mine had it, but it just goes wrong and sounds carp anyway.

Before buying I would check the following things that are overlooked.

Bubbling on roof and arches, its very small so look close

Check the alarm siren works

Check the Bose stereo for volume control... If it's a bit funny, it's on it's way out.

Just be prepared to have to spend a bit of time and money on them, as none are perfect. Happy buying

Just be prepared to have to spend a bit of time and money on them, as none are perfect. Happy buying
I don't agree with that comment,In five years of ownership its only once let me down and that was because I left interior lights on and the battery died
so mine must be perfect

Thanks for the replies chaps, I've had another look and a drive today and there was no signs of the mentioned probs. FSH with cam belt and water pump changed, tensioners etc too. Only thing of slight concern was the gear shift was quite stiff when driving. The car has been sat for a while I think, but unless I had the clutch fully depressed it was very lumpy changing gear. Is this an indication of a worn gearbox/knackered clutch type fault, or is that how they are, fully depressing the clutch to change gear :-/

Hi dude id suggest for the money your spending i would be looking at seat leon cupra r :) iv had four 1.8ts nd my cupra was the best in my opinion. The s3 your looking at sounds abit of a turkey as there are loads of abused examples for big doh, atleast your saving a grand or two with the leon. Ps. You can get the 225bhp for about £4.5k

Oh and sori for hateing on the s3 lol you cant beat the audi for quality and meaty looks. Same can be said for cupra r tho for atleast a grand less .

Thanks for the advice matey, i do like those leons, but I personally prefer the S3's looks, each to their own I suppose. I like the idea of 4 wheel drive (although it's the haldex system) too. Do the leon's weigh much less than the audi?

my advice to anyone looking at an s3 would be save up and buy as new and low mileage as poss, i bought a 99 with 110k cheap. if i add all the money i spent on it in the last year i could of bought a low mileage 53 plate!

Thanks guys for the replies and advice. I've decided not leave it a little longer and save some more cash, gives me more haggling power and I can look for the right one. I've considered the Leon cupra, but I just prefer the audi's looks and reputation/reliabilty etc.

The search continues lol!

Gear change can be notchy going into 2nd, if its notchy on all gears it could need the dogbone mount changing, which isnt exspensive, most upgrade to the powerflex red. others also recomend having the gearbox oil changed too. Id say on most cars you need the clutch fully depressed to change gear, if the clutch is heavy this is a sign that the clutch is worn and could also lead to the slave cylinder failing, which will result in a new clutch and slave cylinder (£600) and possibly a new flywheel (another £300). My slave cylinder failed at 106000.

I don't agree with that comment,In five years of ownership its only once let me down and that was because I left interior lights on and the battery died
so mine must be perfect

There may be some truth to sporttractor words. I think luck also has a big part to play because there is no escaping the age old problem....ANY car over a certain age and mileage is more likely to need parts replacing.
I'm stating the obvious here, but depending on how the car has been treated in the past is a good factor hence why I normally steer clear of high ownered cars -BUT then I may still be unlukcy !