newbie with a few questions!!

wossy57

Reaction score
hi everyone, im looking at buying an A3 2003 Model 1.8t. i had a look over the said car today and i found a few things i need answering,

firstly, on start up it the engine sounded pretty loud, almost asif a manifold was blowing, but then stopped immediately after about 3-4mins. would this be an engine warm up feature?

secondly, over bumps there was a knocking from the n/s/f which i would imagine to be the ARB links/bushes?

thirdly, the battery light came on for a split second up the road, are there any common faults with regards to charging system etc?

basically im a ford tech but bored of fords, i dont really have a clue about audis but have mechanical knowledge, so any help would be much appreciated!!

its an 03 model, 80k on the clock. full audi service history and cambelt/water pump done at 60k.

cheers
ross

Also forgot to mention a whislting noise on boost whilst driving but not whilst revving when stationary.

Thanks
Ross

On initial start up the 1.8t does sound a little agricultural but only for a few seconds but I wouldnt describe it as a blowing exhaust noise. As for the knocking could well be bush, drop link or top mount related, is the whistling noise you mention just the turbo spinning up? My S3 makes pretty much a connstant whistle noise even at really low revs.
Have you got a link to it? Also might be worth a vag com scan to check for fault codes.

e2a; Welcome to the best audi forum by far

Hi, thanks for the reply, yes the whistling is from the turbo spinning up, i was just wondering if it was normal to be quite noticeable, which you have kindly confirmed. Heres a link to the car.....STUNNING AUDI A3 1.8T SPORT, 2003 03, 3 DOOR, MINT! | eBay UK its my mates ebay shop. Are there any common faults i should be aware of? And this may sound silly but how do i go about this vag-com stuff?

Cheers
Ross

Car looks pretty tidy mate, maybe slightly overpriced, but then again one owner so could well be the right sort of money. As for common problems have a look here http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/101863-audi-s3-buying-guide.html S3 buying guide but it'll give you an idea of the problems.

Basically vag-com is a diagnostic tool, its pricey to buy but could easily pay for itself if you have any issues but I manage just fine with the free limited version 409 which is ok for fault diagnosis and simple logging, if you have a lap top download the free version and get a obd cable off of fleabay and do your own scan for faults.
IIRC the full version is about 200 which is quite a small price to pay if you consider a scan at a main dealer will probably rob you of 50 quid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help mate. Yeah i thought it seemed abit overpriced however inside and out it really is immaculate! Plus as im p/x'in my fiesta st hes doing me a really good deal. Thanks again!!