Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Nyteryda

Status

Any ideas ? Stuttering around 4000rpm when under load/full throttle

hello, have an annoying running problem that developed a few weeks ago.. Basically 1st and second accelerate ok but 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th seem to have a stuttering/juddering under full throttle (almost like the power is being turned off and on very quickly) from the lower end of the rpm range which becomes most apparant around 4krpm. Once up towards the higher revs it accelerates normally (less load i guess), however after changing the maf it is running better and starting better but the 'stuttering' is still there.. I suspect a possible boost/vacuum leak as I can hear a faint hissing from around the alternator side of the inlet manifold and I guess this would be at its worst under heavy load.. does anyone recognises the symptoms and can give me some pointers ? cheers !

2. # ADS
    ADS

Chugger

Status
    vac leak or possible coil pack failure is usually favourites. You can combat vac leasks by doing away with the pcv system and replacing with a catch tank. If your car is running the old original coil packs, you are probably entitled to a new set of the revised versions as there has been a (quiet) call back over them.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Sounds like your coil packs...

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Similar to an earlier thread that turned out to be poorly plugs...

Nyteryda

Status
    i have done a search on coilpacks and not sure if i am showing those symptoms really.. could it possibly be a faulty n75 valve ?

Nyteryda

Status
    would that be spark plugs ? i was running rich for a time so could this have degraded their performance ? are they easy to access on an 8l s3 ?

thanks

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Yes sorry spark plugs, under the coil packs, very easy to change/check

other thread
    1.8T running fault.. Getting REALLY annoying now!
    Last edited by s3dave; 19th May 2011 at 23:29.

Nyteryda

Status
    will replace the plugs first I think..which make/model are the best to use for a modified s3 ?

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

Status
    the hissing near the alternator may be the pcv valve pipeing if you have not fitted a catch can mite aswell do it as the piping is a pita to try and fix.

this is what i found on mine

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paul syverson View Post
    the hissing near the alternator may be the pcv valve pipeing if you have not fitted a catch can mite aswell do it as the piping is a pita to try and fix.

this is what i found on mine
    Had similar problem myself, Paul is right its a total PITA to replace but it does sort the problem. Catch tank in due course will be a better fix long term though.
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

Neutral

Status
    sounds exactly like my pervious problem i bet its your intercooler pipe thats come loose its the one above the pancake pipe that has a metal coupling on, the metal tabs on each side wear down until the pipe slips past the clip that holds it on after a while it will completely blow off!
    its a S**T!! design very common thats what the hissing noise is!! mine started after my remap due to the extra load.

5th Gear

Status
    hi mate well iv had the exact same issue with mine for 2 month now lol but finaly got it sorted yipppeeeee.

not saying yours is this but 3 month ago i cleaned the injectors made hell ofa difference then after so long i started getting same simtems as u
    changed my coils spark plug and had a good look at my coil loom.
    check for leaks every weekend when i work on car nothing did the catch can and still same car felt different so do that.

anyway back to subject changed all possible things and this today i thought foooock it ill see if its the injectors cleaned them again
    and swopped them around tuck car for a spin and boom was gone what a relef 2 month argghhh so it wasdont to the injectors for the noise had a missfire on cylinder 1 and 3 missfire 1 has gone but 3 still there for the noise wooooooooooo to me it sound like it was coming from behind the dash holding back at 4000rpm in 3,4,5,6 under that was normal was just when foot went down at that rpm
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge