GT2871R Build

Ok so after 2 days of drilling out bolts i finally was able to put the head back on today. Which has lead to a few slight problems...
DSC_0438.jpg

The ATP manifold i had mounted the turbo at a slightly different angle to where the new BDM one does. So the coldside of the turbo faces the bulkhead. Can i just un bolt the hotside of the turbo and twist it round to a better angle??

Ok so after 2 days of drilling out bolts i finally was able to put the head back on today. Which has lead to a few slight problems...
DSC_0438.jpg

The ATP manifold i had mounted the turbo at a slightly different angle to where the new BDM one does. So the coldside of the turbo faces the bulkhead. Can i just un bolt the hotside of the turbo and twist it round to a better angle??

Sort your pics out mate as they are way too small....

You need to clock the turbo correctly to make sure the oil drain is pointing down and the compressor housing is pointing the right way... you have to loosen the bolts holding the comp housing and turbine housing then the housings/CHRA will turn freely to get them into the right orientation...

Try this for a start...

Other thing to watch out for is the actuator and its bracket... I assume yours in internally gated? I can't tell in the pics as they are so small... anyhoo, you will need to clock the comp housing to a point that allows you to direct the outlet of the housing where it kinda needs to be and to refit the actuator bracket so that the actuator action isn't compromised... the video above is for a turbo with an external gate but you get the idea...

<tuffty/>

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks tuffty thats a big help.

I dont know how to make the pics bigger , ill have a go though.

Little update..

Not been up to much with the car as im sort of coming to an end of what i feel i can do myself. This is how the engine bay ruffly looks at the moment..

DSC_0442.jpg

I have ordered more silicone bits and bobs for the intercooler pipework and also got myself some Leon Cupra R Brake Calipers/Drilled&Grooved Disks and pads, all of which are brand new.

The turbo sits very close to the back of the engine bay so i was looking around for some heat resistant tape of some sort to cover the brake lines etc . Does anyone have any recommendations?

DSC_0451.jpg

A pic of the new brakes i bought as stated in my last post.

I have done a few bits to the car, mainly messing around with the intercooler pipework. Its a bit of a pain to run it the standard way on top (where the charge pipe was) because the RMR manifold is alot bigger than the standard one.

I had one side mounted intercooler in before aswell as the front mount but after reading up about the pressure loss stuff i decided to take it off, so now im just running the one FMIC, im hoping the WMI will help keep the temps down as the FMIC im using isnt the biggest. Here is a few pics of how the intercooler pipework will be..

DSC_0449.jpg

DSC_0450.jpg

I had the pipework around the intercooler painted black originally so i will probably do that again to keep the whole 'stealth' thing going. (run out of paint for the left side)

Here is the ruff idea of what im doing under the bonnet. Quite alot has changed since taking this pic but you get the idea..

DSC_0448.jpg

I have taken off most of the intercooler pipework to get a the MAP sensor and outlets for DV/N75 aswell as the one for the WMI welded which i will fit in the next few days. Once they are back i need to get the downpipe made, fit the fuel pump and obviously mapping.

The N75 outlet im putting where the standard one goes (charge pipe) but i would say it was easier for me to put the DV outlet on the bottom pipe just before the TB, Would there be any problems with me doing this?

looking well dude, you might want to consider a bigger FMIC fo sho tho

:)

Yea i was speaking to Bill about it the other week, ill see how this goes and if needed ill get a bigger one, maybe the toyosports one that Bill used. What one did you use in the end Dane? Also, did you buy your methanol from ebay?

Last edited:
I've got the mk2 AH Fabs front mount, the toyosports one does seem pretty good.

I just drive over to Bill's and pay him a few notes to fill her up, not much help to you, but I've looked at the ones on eBay £100 buys a lot of meth!

your 2 x intercoolers will cooler more than the small fmic, but the pressure drop across them is unknown on the flow potential of the 2871...

case of suck it and see I think.. It looks too small stand alone to me

Yes i think i'll probably end up getting a bigger one but we will see..

Fitting the WMI today aswell as moving the battery to the boot.. I was looking through the instructions for the WMI which seem simple enough. I was just curious as to how the controller turns on/off as its not wired to the ignition in any way?

So had the car apart today fitting the WMI and moving the battery to the boot..

DSC_0455.jpg

I ended up putting the controller box in the glovebox (forgot to take a pic) and the pump in the spare wheel well. I copied Dane on where the tank is though..
DSC_0456.jpg

Although i havent cut the side panel on mine i just bolted the tank to it as i never really use it anyway. I am planning on getting a freezer bag to go over the tank just to cover it up as im not going to put back the rear seats for a while, may even make the water/methanol slightly cooler too.

I also picked up up this..

DSC_0457.jpg

Which i had made to mount the map sensor onto the new intercooler pipework. Hopefully the welding will be done tomorrow so i can put all the pipework back on over the weekend. Then my 'to do' list is finished and Bills starts.. :p

Nice dude are you gonna make the left hand panel openable?

No im probably going to leave it as it is for now seen as i never go in that little panel anyway. Although its not, not openable now, you can still get in there if need be.

So had the car apart today fitting the WMI and moving the battery to the boot..

DSC_0455.jpg

I ended up putting the controller box in the glovebox (forgot to take a pic) and the pump in the spare wheel well. I copied Dane on where the tank is though..
DSC_0456.jpg

Although i havent cut the side panel on mine i just bolted the tank to it as i never really use it anyway. I am planning on getting a freezer bag to go over the tank just to cover it up as im not going to put back the rear seats for a while, may even make the water/methanol slightly cooler too.

I also picked up up this..

DSC_0457.jpg

Which i had made to mount the map sensor onto the new intercooler pipework. Hopefully the welding will be done tomorrow so i can put all the pipework back on over the weekend. Then my 'to do' list is finished and Bills starts.. :p

Not a good idea.. when you dont need a supersize maf tube to weld a sensor into a pipe.. It will not measure well without the mesh in front of it.. and you cant just weld boss's into pipes and hope they work as MAFs properly..
80mm MAF is adequate for your needs, why do this?

Not a good idea.. when you dont need a supersize maf tube to weld a sensor into a pipe.. It will not measure well without the mesh in front of it.. and you cant just weld boss's into pipes and hope they work as MAFs properly..
80mm MAF is adequate for your needs, why do this?

Eyes gone fuzzy mate... its a MAP sensor boss :p

<tuffty/>

Not the MAF sensor, the one behind the headlight think its the MAP sensor?

opps my bad.
soz

map sensor - no problemo

saw boss thought MAf.. DOH!

what a sh1t week/fortnight/month I have been having.. must be getting to me