Tapping In Reverse ?

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
I don't usually have my windows down but tonight i was talking to someone out of the window an just didn't wind it back up.

After that bit of useless info...lol

When it got the the point where i had to reverse back up the road to a parking space, the car was making a sort of clicking noise.

It sound a bit like its coming from under the car and Its only happening in reverse and the tapping speeds up if the car does.

I've looked under the car to see if something was hanging down but i couldn't see anything.

Any ideas??

Brake pads possibly or the metal plate thing behind the rear disc lol

I hope it is one of these and not a chipped tooth :(

What's this metal plate? ....lol

It sounds odd but I took my airbox off the other day to get a better view of the TIP. put it all back in place and had a tapping sound in reverse. Turns out I hadnt tightened the TIP to the airbox properly, so jumped out, screwed it up tight, and the tapping went away. Just a suggestion if you have been doing any work, especially if you disconnected the tip and airbox recently.

Thanks for the replies ;)

Just a suggestion if you have been doing any work, especially if you disconnected the tip and airbox recently.

I've got a jetex on mine and I've not messed around there since fitting it. Unless the jetex gives such a good flow, the cars acting like its disconnected....lol

Happened to me also. The metal plate thing can scrub on the discs

What exactly should i be looking for ?

Will i need to take the wheels off?

cv joint? where you turning?

No mate. I wasn't turning, I was reversing in a straight line and i only happens in reverse.

Having said that... the noise was sort of the same .

Does sound like a CV prob mate.

I know from my description it would seem like it but I've had a car with a f*cked cv and it just don't seem the same.

Also don't you usually notice it more when the steering wheel is turned when its the cv?

If it was a chipped tooth would i feel the tapping of have some sort of miss in reverse ?