A quick question for the professional 1.8t tuners!

dandos

Reaction score

Hi

Iv got an a3 1.8t 1998 agu engine code and have just recently taken it to Audi for a basic check over. The report has come back saying basically the rear suspension and front lower arms are knackerd, and also a front spring amongst other bits an pieces.

All I want to know is which suspension would you recommend to replace the standard, for budget of about £250 - £300. Also is it worth buying standard front lower arms from main dealer?? Upgrade or just replace with cheaper ones?

I need the parts asap really so any links would be helpful cheerz

Well I personally wouldn't bother with genuine wishbones as I'd imagine they're rather pricey form Audi... I replaced mine last year with some from my local motor factors (Camberley's), I think they were about £30 a side. You could fit new Powerflex bushes or similar if you're looking to upgrade... Also sounds like a good excuse for some coilovers ;)

as above, get new wishbones from your local auto factors, usually around £30 each exchange.

Rear axle bushes are a bit harder, some people do them at home making up pressing tools and such like. Expect £200 for a good independant garage to suply and fit rear axle bushes.

As for shocks/springs, if you want to lower the car a bit without going silly, the cheap ebay coilovers many people use seem to be great, I've had a few sets, and know loads of people using them without complaints.

Search for Jamex or JOM coilovers on ebay

Ok guys thanks for ur help, iv heard of jamex they are the ones I was looking at for £250. I'm surprised no-one recommends main dealer parts though. Also need a break pipe, rocker cover gasket and a driveshaft heat shield. Would u recommend I buy these from main dealer??

Great forum!

Oh ok thanks. If I'm changing the arms and the suspension tho, what other bushes need changing?

its just that coilovers do put more load on the bushs, so while the suspension is apart, its worth sticking in new ones, prob front and rear ARB bushs and front top mount ones should be fine.

If its the rears I'd get the brake pipes from audi. Think there about £30 each.

If your upgrading the bushes I can recommend superpro bushes they're better than oem yet not too hard.

The dogbone bush is also another good bush to change, just replaced mine and it makes a huge difference to the gear change in particular.