Engine Tappets?

DuncS3

Reaction score
My S3 is in the dealers today for new tappets and new rear shocks

Personally I dont think it needs them, I had reported a clattery noise on startup 'sometimes' - I even videoed it, and I believe its the timing tensioner. Dealer wasnt interested in the video and is replacing the tappets under warranty today.

The rear shocks are because I reported a slight clunking noise when going slowly over speed bumps. Again, I actually think it may be the exhaust but there you go.

I am at AMD tomorrow, will see if they will listen to the video

PS my car is less than a year old
PPS dont get me started on the rattles and creaks it has!

Dunc

Dunc, mine is still making the starting noise from time to time. It's more noticable if it's been sitting for a day or if it's cold, but overall it isn't any worse than it was. Let us know how you get on with new tappets and at AMD.

Well they promised it would be ready as I need my car tomorrow but unsurprisingly it is still in bits - "bit more work than we thought" - hopefully be ready some time tomorrow.

Alledgedly its a 3.5 hour job (on the job sheet I saw) and they work till 7.30 but someone else will have to finish it off tomorrow

doesnt exactly fill me with confidence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dunc

Had my car to Links Audi last Saturday for them to have a listen to my engine.

Its been sounding a lot more "agricultural" of late, and very clattery on idle, when warm. 1.8T's always sound a bit like a diesel when you start them, but I was a bit worried about the intermittent clattery sound when warm. The ticking sound is certainly normal though.

Anyway, the car didn't really make the sound when I was at the dealers. But the sound did change when the clutch was pressed, which caused them to think it might be gearbox related. But said there is nothing to worry about at this stage, and just keep an ear open for the noises getting worse.

I'll look forward to the results from your dealers work Dunc.

AL

as a little gift from the dealer, they have very kindly given me an oil leak...

b'stards or its a major coincidence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dunc

the oil leak is the camshaft oil seal (?) - that they reckon was faulty (they replaced it)...

oh well car back at the end of today hopefully (fingers crossed)

I suppose at least they are actually working on the car instead of dismissing things....(and its an import)

Dunc