Bt or hybrid. A3?

Jordan1.8t

Reaction score
Hi everyone... Now my a3 is sorta looking
How i want it on the outside im wabting to start the engine.

But i need some help...
Im looking at either hybrids or bt eg gt28 etc.

Obviously im going to be doing the rods... While im there ill be doin the rings, bearings, oil pick up, oil pump, head gasket, waterpump and cambelt. No doubt there somethibgs ive forgot to list!

But what would you guys recommend? Its a aum code engine fwd.

I thought either changings the ko3s to a ko4 hybrid or garret maybe gt28.

Unless you guys have any other options? Different turbos?

Help and opinions much appreciated and welcomed :)

I

How quick do you really want it to be? are you planning on fitting a diff?

I think anything over ko4 power without a diff will be fairly wasted.

Personally, I'd be tempted to just slap a ko4 on it, with one of Bills 3'' inlets and a full stage 2 setup, which should see you to 280-290bhp. See what you think of that first, then possibly look at a ko4 hybrid if you still feel you want more after that.

Any more and i reckon a diff will be fairly essential though

Yeah i did think about that tbh. Wud i need internals for the 280/290bhp? What things wud i need for the ko4? Maf, tip, dp....

find a 225 TT in the scrap yard, take the manifold, injectors, turbo, MAF, buy yourself a 3'' DP and decat, and a badger 5 TIP, add in a FMIC, and you've got the basics for 280bhp +

Rods of course as Bill says, are advised.

I'll be ko4-ing my AGU without rods for now, but that's got 20mm rods already, so isn't quite such a worry.

Is that the ko4-001? If im doin the rods wud it
Not be easier to hybrid my ko3s?

And i take it my miltek 3" dp and sport car wud be no good?

And bill... Wen i deside to get the wotk done ull be getting a phone call off me :)

no, ko4 001 is no different to a ko3S really, totally pointless, although it is a bolt on fitment.

KO4 02x is what I'm talking about.

yes, it is easier to fit a ko3 hybrid, as many people are doing, but having seen how easily the ko3 housings crack, and a few people having failures of ko3 hybrids on SCN, I'd be happier knowing I've got a standard ko4 that can be replaced cheaply if it goes go down the pan, rather than another £600 for a new turbo from CR or similar.

Complete ko4 kits, with manifold, turbo, lines, and injectors can be picked up for just £4-500, so that's the route I'll be taking.

Kev (HTC) made an adaptor up a few years ago using some flanges, to use a ko4 turbo with a ko3 downpipe, and it apparently worked and was dead easy to do

k04's also crack..
its a turbo which see's 900+'C temps.. thats what they do..

bet yours is crazy paved with track use but still works fine

Owww decisions decisions...

So ive got a choice of a ko3 hybrid
Which will possibly crack or a ko4 which also crack lol.

Sounds a disaster :/

Garrets dont crack :p but that means diff! Hmmmm

Took a mates ko3 off a few months ago, it had a crack about 4 - 5 cms long inside.. still worked fine though and made 200 bhp on a dyno. Hes buying my manifold/ko4/injectors/tip/downpipe and a few other bits for about 500 in a few weeks if all goes to plan.
I should be buying a gt2871r off a mk4 golf which has got a limited slip diff.. still spins in 3rd gear, so the diff didnt seem to help as much as what i would of thought.
Cost wise i would say it would be cheaper to go ko4 if you can find one second hand, then you wouldnt have to get a diff or rods.. otherwise you might aswell go all out for the gt28/30 and maybe get a diff at a later date.

Last edited:
Well rods would be dne either way tbh. I wouldnt trust any bigger turbo on my 19mm wrist pins. Lookslike im going to have to have a little shop around.

chocolate turbos - IHI
nice driving & spooling units, but must be kept on sensible boost else they risk bearing failure
(sensible boost being 1.2bar-1.4bar)