Changing Seats - wiring issues.

martinb!

Reaction score
Website
www.hertsinsurance.com
Hope someone can help me here!

I am changing the seats in my 98(S) T sport from the standard cloth to grey leather. The problem I have is with the wiring for the airbag. My existing seats do not have airbags in but the ones I am fitting do.

There are 3 wires on the plugs under the seats on both my existing seats and the ones i plan to fit but the plugs themselves are completely different.

Obviously I need to connect these or the airbag light stays on, so is it just a case of cutting off the different connectors and connecting the wires up? I dont really want to cut the plug from my existing seats as I have someone interested in buying them but if the airbag light is on I think thats an mot failure and am a little nervous mucking around with airbag wiring.

Below are pics of the plus i am talking about. Any information would be greatly appreciated:

existing seats:
DSC00270.jpg

new seats:
DSC00269.jpg

Cheers

Martin

The yellow plugs are for the airbags, the red plug is just power and earth for the electric lumbar support. If your existing seats do not have airbags then not connecting the new airbags won't have any effect on the airbag light as it's not expecting seats with airbags. I am assuming both old and new seats have airbags just on different type plugs? If your old seats don't have airbags then you won't be able to connect them even if you wanted to.

Thansk for your reply.

My current cloth seats do not have airbags fitted, the leather ones do. Both are non electric / manual adjustment. I am not bothered about the airbags functioning in the leather seats, as i did not have them before, but I just dont want the warning light to stay on (am i right thinking this is an mot failure?) as it currently is with the new seats fitted but no wires connected.

Cheers

Martin