Chris NottEM Tuning
    2nd Gear

Status

Unhappy Knocking noise front!

I have fitted jom coilovers and have just started to get this nocking noise like a spring is loose,only happens when going over a pot hole etc.I have fitted new top mounts and bearings.new wishbones with bushes etc and i do not have a arb!..I have also fitted a uprated dogbone mount,could it be this??...its really bugging and annoying me!

(Oh i found play in one of the coilovers sharfts so i out my old coilovers on but still have this problem!)

One more thing its coming from the drivers side front!..cheers

A3 1.8 TURBO| RS6 18INCH ALLOYS | FORGE 007 | SMOOTHED O/E BOX WITH COLD AIR FEED | COILOVERS | MOTECH RE-MAP | FULL CREAM LEATHER | FORGE DV RELOCATION | FORGE TIP HOSE|SILICONE BOOST HOSES|REMOVED REAR WIPER|G60 FLYWHEEL & VR6 CLUCTH|MILTEK CAT BACK DISCREET SYSTEM|312MM BRAKE UPGRADE|UPRATED DOG BONE MOUNT.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Anyone?...

A3 1.8 TURBO| RS6 18INCH ALLOYS | FORGE 007 | SMOOTHED O/E BOX WITH COLD AIR FEED | COILOVERS | MOTECH RE-MAP | FULL CREAM LEATHER | FORGE DV RELOCATION | FORGE TIP HOSE|SILICONE BOOST HOSES|REMOVED REAR WIPER|G60 FLYWHEEL & VR6 CLUCTH|MILTEK CAT BACK DISCREET SYSTEM|312MM BRAKE UPGRADE|UPRATED DOG BONE MOUNT.

Neutral

Status
    I had a knocking from my S3 everytime I went over a small pothole. It was the n/s drop link.

HTH.
    2000 Facelift S3 8L
    Looking for a n/s XENON HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY!!....please pm me!

2nd Gear

Status
    Nope not the drop link as i dont have them or a arb.removed it all.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    You have removed your ARB ?

2nd Gear

Status
    Yep i have removed arb and drop links and have fitted new wishbones and new top mounts and bearings!..only thing i think of it could be the new uprated dogbone mount i fitted or the top mounts are wrong somehow??..

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steviet View Post
    Yep i have removed arb and drop links
    Steve why? How does the car handle without the ARB? Did you remove just the front one or front and rear?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    A lot of rally cars don't have ARB's.....not sure why though.
    Audi S3 AMK

2nd Gear

Status
    I ve had it removed fo soo long as it sits very low and yeah it does handle ok mate,i dont really chuck it about really just drive fast in a straight line haha.I i wll get round to fitting a uprated one soon tho...Any ideas on this problem?..its really fecking me off!!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I would have said it would be one of the following:

- Top mounts
    - Drop links, but you dont have them
    - ARB collar , but you have no arb
    - Ball joints
    - Wishbone bushes

If all of those are new and have all been bolted up tight then i'm not sure.

Can you replicate the noise by bouncing the front of the car? If you can then it might be easier to pin point with the engine off and a mate bouncing it on the drivway!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Update so far,ive removed the dogbone mount and replaced with old one.Still same problem!.this time tho the was a crack/clunk noise when i pulled off hard or breaked hard!??..

Am'i right by saying that when a coilover is put together its spring,plate then sits on top,bearing,nut,then rubber strut mount,then once pushed up into the strut in the car its just the case of top cup then nut???...

oh yep i have tired bouncing on the car and no joy! just seems to be under harsh conditions like pot holes,cracks in the road etc

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Steering rack/tie rods,,,,

2nd Gear

Status
    But would a steering rack make that kind of noise?..when i drive it and steering left to right its all fine tho,no noise of anything odd!..

How can i test if its the track rod ends or steering rack?