JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: My S3 Thread

Neutral

Status
    I think I need to drop by and hear the Badger5 TIP and Jetex... I was so close jumping in on the group buy...
    / 2002 S3 8L / Ebony Black / APR'd up the wahzoo! /

2. # ADS
    ADS

Down under

Status
    Oh yeah for sure. Out of interest what boost is yours running? I want to find out what map mine is running. I know boost isn't the only thing changed but not sure what it's got. I'd like to do an exhaust like yourself too but that APR one is a bit too steep for me
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Down under

Status
    So pics of the TIP and catch can fitted:

Excuse the bad quality photos, it was in my badly lit garage with the iPhone. A bad combination!

I'm going to tidy up the hose routing for the catch can somehow but first the oil leak needs to be fixed. It turns out it's the half moon seal on the cam chain tensioner. Classic apparently! At least it's nothing worse.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Yep chain tensioner gasket is a classic. You might as well buy an inlet mani gasket, a rocker cover gasket, and a throttle body gasket too as all those parts will be coming off.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    I've done throttle body gasket recently (and cleaned it) but have a valve cover gasket, oil pickup (+ audi sealant) and phenolic spacer (+2 gaskets) on their way from 034 motorsport so all going well I'll do that all at the same time. It's annoying I'm going to have to drop the oil again as I serviced it recently but can't do any harm I guess.

Can I use the same sump sealer on the gasket for the chain tensioner? It's renzosil or whatever it's called.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    I've done throttle body gasket recently (and cleaned it) but have a valve cover gasket, oil pickup (+ audi sealant) and phenolic spacer (+2 gaskets) on their way from 034 motorsport so all going well I'll do that all at the same time. It's annoying I'm going to have to drop the oil again as I serviced it recently but can't do any harm I guess.

Can I use the same sump sealer on the gasket for the chain tensioner? It's renzosil or whatever it's called.
    Yeah the phenolic gasket is a better shout than a normal gasket.

I wouldn't use the same sealant. Get some "blue" silicone sealant for your gaskets.

I'll be doing an oil change before I head to Germany in September and it was only done in June when I had the new turbo fitted! Fresh oil is always good for the car.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    I only asked because it looks like they've used the same stuff on there before, perhaps why it leaks. Isn't blue a semi-setting one though? I remember using it in the past on inlets and it never really "set". Would orange not be better?

I know fresh oil's always a good thing, just not for my wallet! It's only been in there a couple of months...

Status
    I used blue on mine and not had a leak since. You only need a small amount. When you get the cam tensioner gasket you'll see there is a little blue mark on it showing you where to put the sealant.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Ah ok cool. Well, it can't harm to have an armament of sealant. I miss my tools/parts/bits back home sometimes.

Status
    Ah ok cool. Well, it can't harm to have an armament of sealant. I miss my tools/parts/bits back home sometimes.
    Yep you can never have too much lube either
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    Oh yeah for sure. Out of interest what boost is yours running? I want to find out what map mine is running. I know boost isn't the only thing changed but not sure what it's got. I'd like to do an exhaust like yourself too but that APR one is a bit too steep for me
    Well from what I know the APR Stage 1 is supposed to be 1.4bar! With the clutch needing to be replaced mine slips as soon as boost builds even a tiny bit.

APR exhaust does sound pretty impressive, no drone inside the car and quiet enough to enjoy long trips.
    / 2002 S3 8L / Ebony Black / APR'd up the wahzoo! /

Down under

Status
    Ah well mine is 1.4-1.5 bar but I guess that means nothing. I wonder how I find out who mapped it?

Let me know when you want to check out the TIP. Hopefully my wheel adapters will arrive tomorrow or Friday so I can get the BBS's on. It's been nearly 2 weeks already. USPS and Auspost together is a recipe for disaster.

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Have you got blue injectors Sam? Apr maps put them in on stage 2

Down under

Status
    I'll have a look next time I'm in the garage but it's absolutely pissing down at the minute. I don't recall seeing blue ones. I bet it's just had a basic stage 1 map.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    Have you got blue injectors Sam? Apr maps put them in on stage 2
    What's the difference with the APR blue injectors over the standard ones? My Revo stage 2 is running standard injectors but I'm hardly pushing it.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    The blue ones are 380cc @3 bar 0r 440 @4 bar from the TTs

Status
    The blue ones are 380cc @3 bar 0r 440 @4 bar from the TTs
    What cc are standards?
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    330cc i think....

Status
    330cc i think....
    Thanks Dave. At what point do the standard injectors start to struggle then?
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by W3STY View Post
    Thanks Dave. At what point do the standard injectors start to struggle then?
    Well 550cc are needed for an hybrid so i would say 290-300bhp? as a guess, im sure someone will know...

Down under

Status
    So USPS are saying that there is a delay with parcels to Australia. Apparently due to the ash cloud from Chile. It's strange that Fedex and DHL had absolutely no problems getting packages to me from the states in the same time period!

So for anyone getting packages from the states, get USPS Express or a proper courier else be subjected to, as Sheldon says, "a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel with out any means of propulsion"

Down under

Status
    Still no wheel adapters USPS say it left the USA on the 8th. Australia Post have no idea where it is. Awesome.

With regards to the catch tank I'm not getting any oily smell into the cabin like I did with the broken breather hose so either the filter is doing a good job or the massive air filter next to it is sucking in all the oily air. Although I'm not sure how likely the later is?

Anyway onto better things. So I finally got a decent drive in the car tonight. It's winter here so it took bloody ages to get the oil up to temp but once I did:

I ran out of road and didn't want to go too crazy so I wonder if it'll hit 280. All in all though, I'm impressed with the Badger 5 TIP. Sounds awesome too. If perhaps a little "in your face".

And if I get time this weekend, this little lot will go on:

Down under

Status
    Forgot to add that I think that the TIP/Jetex may have helped lower IAT's somehow. I popped the bonnet after a decent thrashing session and the manifold wasn't even warm! It's going to be even better with the phenolic gasket on there.

Status
    Nice stuff Sam, that gasket will make a fair bit of difference.

Is your catch can venting to atmos or back to TIP?
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    Forgot to add that I think that the TIP/Jetex may have helped lower IAT's somehow. I popped the bonnet after a decent thrashing session and the manifold wasn't even warm! It's going to be even better with the phenolic gasket on there.
    Turbo doesn't have to work as hard to flow air through it as you have a 3" TIP and a huge cone filter, this keeps the turbo temps down a bit.

Get yourself a big FMIC and you can keep you beer cold on the inlet mani
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    The can is to atmosphere for now. I'll see how it goes smell wise and if I need to plumb it into the TIP. I'd rather not though if I can avoid it.

Yeah I'm happy with it.

Still on the list though:
    - Sort a heat shield
    - Oil pickup (may have found a sump gasket that fits)
    - Valve cover and cam chain tensioner gaskets
    - Inner nearside CV joint is torn
    - TCA bushes
    - Properly fit the liquid gauge so I can use the vents
    - Fit the peloquin rear diff

Also want to do a gear oil, haldex service and brake fluid change at some point as I'm not sure how old they are.

Status
    The can is to atmosphere for now. I'll see how it goes smell wise and if I need to plumb it into the TIP. I'd rather not though if I can avoid it.

I'd never go back to TIP now. I didn't notice any smell with mine for about a week then it became unbarable. When I saw the amount of fumes coming out the little filter when the car was doing 150mph on Bills rollers I knew it was time to move the vent!

Mine vents out inbetween the rear wheels now, it's much better.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Blimey that must be a long ass bit of pipe! I think I saw a pic of it on your build thread actually.

I know exactly what you mean though. Mine was really bad with a broken breather pipe coming from the block. See how I go I guess.

Yours is going very well. I'm going to resist the FMIC/Stage 2 etc for now I think...

Status
    Blimey that must be a long ass bit of pipe! I think I saw a pic of it on your build thread actually.

I know exactly what you mean though. Mine was really bad with a broken breather pipe coming from the block. See how I go I guess.

Yours is going very well. I'm going to resist the FMIC/Stage 2 etc for now I think...
    Yeah you need 2 metres of hose cable tied to the brake lines. It works a treat though.

Thanks for the compliments. Yours is coming on very well too mate. I thought I could resist more mods but I couldn't
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Yeah you need 2 metres of hose cable tied to the brake lines. It works a treat though.

Thanks for the compliments. Yours is coming on very well too mate. I thought I could resist more mods but I couldn't
    That modding bug, it's a bugger....
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Down under

Status
    Haha very true. I got hooked on my old 205 and rebuilt the thing from scratch. I don't think there was a nut or bolt untouched. I did love it though. The turbo is nice but there's really nothing like the sound of ITBs and a bit of RPM

I got the S3 because I wanted a comfy cruiser that also had a bit of go. So far it's fitting the bill perfectly. I had the option of a 5.4L V8 ute (petrol not really an issue here) which sounded and went well but glad I went the route I did. That thing was like a taxi inside (ford).

Status
    My only turbo car prior to the S3 was my Renault 5 GT Turbo and I loved it. I love the S3, it ticks all the boxes now it's running 270ish bhp
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Still no wheel adapters USPS say it left the USA on the 8th. Australia Post have no idea where it is. Awesome.
    In the same boat here, i've got the tracking number for my package, says that the item is in transit to the destination since 10 july.
    2000 Brilliant Black TT Quattro.
    2010 Daytona Grey TTRS.

1st Gear

Status
    And yes, TT 225 have 385 cc blue long snout injectors.
    2000 Brilliant Black TT Quattro.
    2010 Daytona Grey TTRS.

Down under

Status
    The USPS website is saying that there's delays due to Chile but that was a month ago now. Well, it's a lesson learnt I guess. Stick to express or couriers.

Down under

Status
    My only turbo car prior to the S3 was my Renault 5 GT Turbo and I loved it. I love the S3, it ticks all the boxes now it's running 270ish bhp
    Did you have cooling issues? I bet it was rapid!

Status
    Did you have cooling issues? I bet it was rapid!
    I dont know because I never checked. The beauty of those cars was that due to the carb and lack of any inteligent software, you could just drill out the air and fuels jets in the carb then turn up the boost with a bleed valve to tune it. This was also the reason they used to blow up a lot!

Mine was about 160bhp in a car that weighed about 750kg. It was lively.

Some of the guys in the RTOC used to run charge coolers and they would suffer with carb freeze in the winter as the cooling was so good! No chance of that on the S3
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Yeah and no chance of a real winter here. They all ***** and moan when it gets into single figures haha.

Sounds like that 205 I had, was 160bhp in 750kg with a mega short Quaife box (lovely sound from the semi helical gears too). Love the sound of a straight cut box too. Not sure I could hack this one though:
    ‪Rolf van Os in BMW 320 STW‬‏ - YouTube
    S3Lol likes this.

Down under

Status
    Phenolic gasket/spacer fitted. It was a pretty easy job, took about an hour or so. I did a few other bits while I had the inlet off and cleaned up around the area. Managed to drop a nut for the inlet down behind the alternator mount which took ages to find but I couldn't get to it so I'm hoping it dropped out on the test drive. There's so many pockets where bolts etc get stuck on this engine bay!

Took it for a quick drive and whereas the head was roasting, the inlet wasn't barely warmed up. Awesome.
    Last edited by Sam_; 24th July 2011 at 03:55.

Down under

Status
    Well I finally got the adapters from the states! The adapters are a perfect fit onto the hubs and wheels. The guys at Motorsport Tech done a brilliant job. I didn't get any pictures of them as I was like a kid at Christmas wanting to get the wheels on!

The wheels have a final offset of ET20 front, ET15 rear and are 18x8.5. The tyres are 225/40s but I'll be fitting my 215/40s at some stage. They sit pretty flush with the arches front and rear which is ideal. I did notice the outer CV joint on the rear is dead after lowering so that's two that need doing now

The pictures are not on flat ground so the rear looks a little high. I'll get some better pics with a decent camera once the cars been detailed at the weekend.

The rear

Side view

Rear arch - excuse the dirty old nike dunks in shot (they're my "working on the car" footwear)

Front arch