My S3 Thread

These arrived:

Cloud2go%2007-08-2012%209:13%20PM.jpg

They look really well built. I had some compbrake mounts on my 205 and they were mickey mouse compared to these! They have needle roller bearings on the top spring pan so that the rose joint isn't forced to rotate, reducing it's load capacity. Even though mine are used, they look very well made. I've enquired about the price of a pair of new rose joints. It's not 100% essential but one has very slight play and I'd hate to have to take them off again.

Stock piling a fair bit of gear. Keen to get it all on. Just need to find some time...

I know how you feel about the stockpiling, I've got **** piling up to my ears at the moment and I'm waiting for some parts from Integrated Engineering and Bill before I can get anything on the car, so it's frustrating just watching the thing sit there getting dirty...

Haha yeah it's a bit annoying but I know that it's just easier to hit it all in one go and it'll be an awesome change to have fresh fluids, bushes and the suspension all sorted. Looking forward to it!

Engine will come later. The current engine is pretty solid.

Haha yeah it's a bit annoying but I know that it's just easier to hit it all in one go and it'll be an awesome change to have fresh fluids, bushes and the suspension all sorted. Looking forward to it!

Your engine is proper solid if its getting the figures in your sig mate :)

Cheers - it might not be 280bhp but it certainly logged that figure and runs well enough for me so not too fussed right now.

A mate was trying to sell me a freshly built 2.0L BAM engine today, Audi Motorsport AGU head and cams, girdled block, twin plate clutch, rebuilt box with kevlar synchros and a peloquin LSD. Loadsa $$ mind you but enough to take a GT30/35 without sweating.

Nice project mate! im the same, my room full of spare parts waiting for some attention!

That's what I'm looking forward to the most, sorted suspension; the Koni Sports, new bushes/top mounts are going to ignite my love for the car again. I'm leaving the engine stock for now while I figure out if there are any major issues.

Thanks for pointing me to Integrated Engineering, I slapped together an order with them for the crank breather adapter kit, and also decided to get their adapters to fit FSI coils, along with some nice Denso plugs for when I do remap the car. Along with that I purchased their solid shifter bushes to stiffen up the gearshift a bit more, just hope it has the desired effect.

And my Badger5 goodies are on the way with some extra Forge hotness.

There goes the kid's college fund; I either have to buy everything I want and squash the bug, or quit while I'm ahead...
Pity I discovered the 034 Motorsport site the other night. :(

JB

Not sure if that would - I remember seeing that when I had my issues but I just left it and went with the simplification.

Picked up the discs and sump tonight and had a chat with Seb. Looks like the GT28 build will start at the end of September. Going 2.0 stroker with an .86 housing.

brakes.jpg

(p.s. I know the disc/caliper combo is wrong ​(it's a nearside caliper on an offside disc) - I just grabbed the first disc :))

I'll have another attempt at fitting them soon, possibly this weekend...

I think a GT28 will be too small for a stroker mate... better off going 3071r...

<tuffty/>

i just realized i msg'ed you about that got gt30 or gt35 if you intend on getting a 1k $ civic haha ... although i like your thinking want to do the same

Really? Well the GT28 has the .86 housing (rather than the usual .64) as that's what he ran it in his S3. Seemed to make good power but I take you point. I'm guessing you'd recommend a T3 or vband GT30 and not the T25 internal gated one?

Really? Well the GT28 has the .86 housing (rather than the usual .64) as that's what he ran it in his S3. Seemed to make good power but I take you point. I'm guessing you'd recommend a T3 or vband GT30 and not the T25 internal gated one?

The hotside isn't the issue... GT28 is small airflow wise for a 2ltr really... makes 360/370 ringing its tads off on a 1,8....

GT3071r will be nice... have a read of this...
James' LCR - 2008cc Stroker HTA GT3071r! BIG Turbo Build - SEAT Cupra.net - SEAT Forum

Tial hotside and tubular mani... nice combo... T3 or v-band will work... what you can lay your hands on manifold wise will dictate I guess...

The LCR in the thread uses a 0.82 Tial hotside and a billet comp wheel... very nice spool... the TSR mani has smallish runners though which will help along with the 2ltr capacity of course...

StaceyS3 is building a similar spec but using a GTX comp wheel...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I totally take your point but the guy doing it is adamant that the GT28 is "enough" and when he had it on a stroker he said he made around 400hp (can't remember the figure he told me). Do they really not perform as well on the VAG engines as on others? SR20s seem to respond well to them...

Not a huge amount of progress - been a bit lazy with the car but I fitted the Brembo 6 pots and ECS discs today. Wasn't that easy in the end, worked out it took about 6 hours with a very ****** off mrs at the end of it. Had to grind the hubs a touch, cut the adapter to hub bolts (new caliper bolts) and then had issues with wheel clearance. In the end I had to run 25mm spacers on the front (was 15mm) and 30mm rear (was 20mm), suffice to say there's a bit of, what the cool kids are calling, "poke" up front. Wicked yo! There was another guy building a B5 S4 wagon with RS4 lump in the workshop, it's going to be a monster. I'll try to get some pics of it as it gets completed.

Not got any pics as I literally finished when it got dark but they're working well and I did the classic pedal pump bleed (didn't push it to the floor mind you) and had no issues. I'll take some tomorrow if the mrs lets me wash it (I'm in the dog house).

Not a huge amount of progress - been a bit lazy with the car but I fitted the Brembo 6 pots and ECS discs today. Wasn't that easy in the end, worked out it took about 6 hours with a very ****** off mrs at the end of it. Had to grind the hubs a touch, cut the adapter to hub bolts (new caliper bolts) and then had issues with wheel clearance. In the end I had to run 25mm spacers on the front (was 15mm) and 30mm rear (was 20mm), suffice to say there's a bit of, what the cool kids are calling, "poke" up front. Wicked yo! There was another guy building a B5 S4 wagon with RS4 lump in the workshop, it's going to be a monster. I'll try to get some pics of it as it gets completed.

Not got any pics as I literally finished when it got dark but they're working well and I did the classic pedal pump bleed (didn't push it to the floor mind you) and had no issues. I'll take some tomorrow if the mrs lets me wash it (I'm in the dog house).

Nice one mate :)

Those Calipers do really take a lot to clear them or just very good spoke design ;)

Yeah they're big buggers. Wheels stick out a little and rubbed on a big speed bump earlier but we'll see. A bit of camber on the front might help. I've wanted TD Pro Race 2 for a while but can't really sink much more in the car for a bit. Need to fit all the bits I have stockpiled first.

Here's a bad iphone pic:

A5pBKXfCYAAgQUE.jpg:medium

Some one needs to wash there car lol... nice work Sam.. thats exactly why i went with tarox 6pots no hastle no nothing

Yeah, might do it today...

The Tarox kits would possibly be easier but probably still run into wheel clearance issues. I also wanted 2 piece discs to save some weight. The "kits" are usually more expensive than putting together your own. Might save a couple of hours fitting but not really worth it for the price difference. Plus I wanted Brembo's...

Yeah, might do it today...

The Tarox kits would possibly be easier but probably still run into wheel clearance issues. I also wanted 2 piece discs to save some weight. The "kits" are usually more expensive than putting together your own. Might save a couple of hours fitting but not really worth it for the price difference. Plus I wanted Brembo's...

i guess not sure how much you spent but 980pounds for brakes isn't cheap nor too expensive...and you don't run into clearance issues plus with everything the front brake kit (both sides) weighs just under 10KG's which isn't bad considering they are lighter then brembo's ":p... btw saw your AGu Lump in the back of Sebs Golf R... good to see your progress btw

I could almost guarantee if you're running 1 piece 334mmx32mm discs, they'll be heavier. I thought we'd been through all the weights and stuff before. You like your Tarox kit. I like Brembos that are used by OEM manufacturers and used on race cars alike. You win :wacko:

I could almost guarantee if you're running 1 piece 334mmx32mm discs, they'll be heavier. I thought we'd been through all the weights and stuff before. You like your Tarox kit. I like Brembos that are used by OEM manufacturers and used on race cars alike. You win :wacko:

hehe.. yeah we did i think with that website you so nicely gave me its said 10. something KG's IIRC... im just teasing you mate, as the kit has given you allot of grief :p

Haha they weren't that bad. I think it's just that I've not been climbing under cars for a while and was working in the 34c sun which made the job seem so much worse.

Anyhow, here's a few more pics:

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

They fill the wheels a tiny bit better than the old brakes.

Its looking really nice mate must... say much cleaner love the wheels too:thumbup:

Cheers dude. Bushes and fluids next. Want to get it 'mint' mechanically before I go fitting the new engine + turbo.

Yeah same thing me sam trying my best to get it mint hopefully after this session of repairs ill be done also doing the pcv simplification..

Btw. Are you the bushes on your own?

Cheers Gavin. It's getting there.

I might get Seb to do them but he's always busy so might just take it there and do them bit by bit myself. I don't think it'll be that bad (famous last words). I'm going to do the rear arms (x4), arb and droplinks, haldex, rear diff fluid myself.

The brakes are feeling better every time I drive the car. They're like OEM feel wise but bite harder, the pedal travel might be slightly more but there's much more "there" when you need it, if that makes any sense. The drive to and from work tomorrow should bed them in nicely :)

Drove to work again this morning and either I must have had really bad fluid, or not properly bled, OE fronts or the pedal travel issue is overrated because the pedal feel isn't that bad at all. They start working at the same point but have much better feel. Perhaps people with the longer travel are running the 17z (larger pistons), didn't bleed the inner nipple or just didn't bleed them properly?

you have to bleed from the nipple.. at first i didnt bleed at the nipple simply just pumping the brake peddle until i read somewhere it wasnt advised do to popping the seals on the MC .. then used Ezi Bleed .. do it at the nipple i use RBF600 at the peddle is quite firm and sensitive i must say

You mean the bleed nipple on the MC? Well sure, if you remove all fluid or let the MC get low then you need to bleed the MC. The key is not to let the MC get low so as you bleed from the calipers, top it up. It's also ideal to get everything fitted and checked (clearance etc) and then flip over the plumbing at the last minute so you don't loose to much fluid, also making bleeding easier.

I'd read about this whole flipping the MC seals but I think you'd have to be unlucky and/or have an old MC. I didn't push the pedal right to the floor (increasing the chances as the MC would travel more) each time as it's not needed. Seb has never heard of the MC seal flipping and he's worked as a VW Technician and in the Aussie race team for quite a while. DaveB (widely regarded as a brake expert) believes it to be a myth too. That's not to say it doesn't happen (it's happened to a couple of people on here I believe) but like I say, it's got to be age and luck related, otherwise it's a fairly huge design flaw!

You mean the bleed nipple on the MC? Well sure, if you remove all fluid or let the MC get low then you need to bleed the MC. The key is not to let the MC get low so as you bleed from the calipers, top it up. It's also ideal to get everything fitted and checked (clearance etc) and then flip over the plumbing at the last minute so you don't loose to much fluid, also making bleeding easier.

I'd read about this whole flipping the MC seals but I think you'd have to be unlucky and/or have an old MC. I didn't push the pedal right to the floor (increasing the chances as the MC would travel more) each time as it's not needed. Seb has never heard of the MC seal flipping and he's worked as a VW Technician and in the Aussie race team for quite a while. DaveB (widely regarded as a brake expert) believes it to be a myth too. That's not to say it doesn't happen (it's happened to a couple of people on here I believe) but like I say, it's got to be age and luck related, otherwise it's a fairly huge design flaw!

agreed with you on all counts, but thats how i did it to be safe mate... i replaced my MC got a brembo one as i had the same issues my peddle would travel right down even after bleeding it properly so it would def have to do with the piston size.. im running 6 pots too and had that issue.

do you get to the point say ur doing 100km/s you touch the peddle nothing happens as you keep pressing and reach half way the car brake slightly hard ? maybe you'd need to bleed it again perhaps ?

Possibly. The pedal feel is never going to be spot on with the larger calipers. Mine don't feel hugely different to OEM, if anything they are better. That might be because my old discs/pads were shagged and calipers needed to be bled but who knows. I remember when I had a 205 and fitted Brembo 4 pots I fitted a larger MC. Something I'm not sure is possible on the mk4. I did read somewhere about a T5 (Transporter) MC that fits but not seen solid evidence of anyone doing it.

i guess you should be happy then... you just get used to it 6 pots need uprated MC's its a defo me thinks