Chris NottEM Tuning
Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161720 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: My S3 Thread

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Not sure about the Brembo decals?
    I went with "Porsche" decals as my calipers came from a Boxster so I thought I'd keep the name
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

Down under

Status
    I was going to do that but mine are from a Q7/Touareg (same as the Cayenne, just anodised finish instead) so I'd be telling porkies haha. Might see what they look like when they're on. Easy enough to remove...

How did you find fitting yours? I've done brake work on plenty of other cars but none of this modern malarky
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Those calipers are frickin massive!
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

Down under

Status
    Yeah, should fill the wheels nicely! Surprisingly light for their size. The proper ECS two piece discs should make a nice difference. Not due for 3 weeks or so though
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Status
    Fitting them is easy mate, one of the easiest car jobs I've done on mine.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Cool. Yeah it was on my old 205 too. Hoping the wear indicator connectors are the same too else the soldering iron will make an appearance :/

Status
    Cool. Yeah it was on my old 205 too. Hoping the wear indicator connectors are the same too else the soldering iron will make an appearance :/
    Just twist them together and wrap with tape
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    I was going to do that but mine are from a Q7/Touareg (same as the Cayenne, just anodised finish instead) so I'd be telling porkies haha. Might see what they look like when they're on. Easy enough to remove...

How did you find fitting yours? I've done brake work on plenty of other cars but none of this modern malarky
    where the number of pistons 4 or 6?

Down under

Status
    They're the z18 6 pots.

Down under

Status
    So I went to fit the 6 pots on the weekend after having the adapters powder coated. It turns out I do need some larger adapters The caliper and disc test fitted behind the wheel (not on the hub) *just* hit the spokes. Annoyingly I think it's because I am running 334mm discs. 350mm might be better but it's difficult to get 350mm Mk4 R32 discs. So I need larger adapters, another 10mm should do it. The problem is, the front is currently flush with the wing, so another 10mm is going to mean that it sticks out a touch :/ Kinda wish I'd just got the ECS stage 5 and be done with it...

I've ordered some 25mm and 30mm adapters (currently running 20mm rear (ET15) and 15mm front (ET20)) so I can have a play. I think I should be *ok* on the rear going to ET5 but I'll have to just see I guess! I used motorsport-tech, the same guys as before:
    Wheel Adapters, Wheel Spacers, Hub Rings, and much more! | Motorsport Tech
    Awesome service, if you're after some PCD adapters.

The VF engineering dog bone seems to have settled in more and it all feels nice now.

1st Gear

Status
    How annoying, I was looking forward to seeing how these would look.
    Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

Down under

Status
    Yeah, bit of a bummer really but can't really muck around with brakes I guess! Hopefully I don't get too much "poke". I think I'll be ok though. Just worried that ET10 front with 8.5" rim will hit the wing. I'm not really very low though.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Yeah, bit of a bummer really but can't really muck around with brakes I guess! Hopefully I don't get too much "poke". I think I'll be ok though. Just worried that ET10 front with 8.5" rim will hit the wing. I'm not really very low though.
    thats why i stuck with the Tarox 6pots they are lighter then anything and well i dont need spacers :P... esp with sodding laws of NSW (its another defect...)

Down under

Status
    Yeah, but I've never been a massive fan of Tarox. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are awesome. And as you say the calipers are lighter. I've just always seen them as more show than go. You don't see them on any racecars unlike Wilwood, AP, Alcon, Brembo etc. If I had my way, I'd be running Alcon or AP but these "kits" work out cheaper. I really doubt the weight difference is that much. The tarox calipers are about 500g-1kg lighter but then I save around 2.5kg per side with the 2 piece discs rather than using 1 piece. Six of one and half a dozen of the other I guess...

1st Gear

Status
    shame about the brakes, at least they will still go on eventually.

I am running ET19 with an 8J wheel and there is possibly 8mm between the tyre (very slightly stretched Falken FK452's 215/40/18) and the plastic inside the arch. My S3 is fairly low however, so you may be ok... depends on just how low and how stiff your suspension is i guess. maybe get away with some arch liner modification at worst. fingers crossed

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    they are doing fine i took it on the track to time it from the braking point took me 4.8 seconds to stop from 280kms i was impressed the tyers didnt manage as good though ..

Down under

Status
    280kmh? When did you fit the GT35 heh

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mcpickering View Post
    shame about the brakes, at least they will still go on eventually.

I am running ET19 with an 8J wheel and there is possibly 8mm between the tyre (very slightly stretched Falken FK452's 215/40/18) and the plastic inside the arch. My S3 is fairly low however, so you may be ok... depends on just how low and how stiff your suspension is i guess. maybe get away with some arch liner modification at worst. fingers crossed
    Thanks mate. The bilsteins are pretty stiff and I'm not too low so I should be ok. Time will tell...

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    i didnt ... i just said track... as in M5 motorway and a good stretch around 2 km's just before the liverpool exit as you are comming from campbeltown :P

Down under

Status
    but 280kmh = 174mph? I assume you mean 180kmh

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    lol what a typo..im sorry Sam yes 180 not 280 Jesus..

ZAS
    Neutral

Status
    Sam, how are those Gruvenparts bits working out for you? I've been eyeing them since seeing them in this thread, and they look pretty good. Keen to hear if the adjustability they provide has any benefits.

JB

Down under

Status
    I've not actually picked up the arms yet, been meaning to for a week or so. I bundled them together with another guys order and we split delivery etc but I've not been to see him to pick them up, hopefully will this week. Not in a major rush to fit them as I'm going to do everything at once.

Also, it looks like I might be getting some ground control top mounts

Down under

Status
    Got the control arms, drop links (1 just out of shot) and headlight adjust bracket through from Gruvenparts:

Also bought some Ground Control top mounts So that should the the suspension sorted.

Ordered a pair of 25 + 30mm adapters too, hopefully enough to clear the calipers!

Seb has sourced an AGU engine for me for the GT2871 build so that's a start there too.

Down under

Status
    So I had another pure fail at the weekend:
    1. Brakes didn't fit - the bracket/carrier hits a casting mark along the top of the hub. I'd have just ground it back but my garage doesn't have power. It'll have to wait until the other lot of work it would seem Bummer.
    2. The new wheel adapters I ordered have a larger centre bore on the wheel side. Not a massive issue (just remove spigot rings and it's a perfect fit) but annoying that they'll only probably fit the BBS rims.
    3. I found a water leak but thought nothing of it (thought it was just me spilling something) and then when I went to put the car away, bing! The water light came on. I couldn't see where it was actually coming from but there was spray over hoses coming from the distribution block on the side of the head. Had a google and saw that it was common to crack and leak. Drove to work on Monday and it wanted more water (as you'd expect). Sourced the part (VW - $35, Audi - $80) and took a half day to fit it. Pretty easy job to say the least. Just messy. Gave me a good opportunity to give the top of the box a good clean though. I do like a clean engine haha
    4. Realised the boot on my inner CV on the nearside is f'ed. All the grease is gone so it's just a matter of time. Need to get a replacement asap.

4th Gear

Status
    Bummer about the brakes mate and theres always somthing else lol mine keeps on going into limp mode doing my head at the mo and got to sort out the creaking noise from the back We will get there

Down under

Status
    Yeah it's a bit annoying but I am happy to wait - still a bit of life left in my discs and pads for now. It means I can wait until the ECS discs are here and do it properly with a load of other bits.

Any idea what the creak is? A few people back there have had issues with the control arms snapping so I'd have a look sooner rather than later! I bought 4 that I need to fit. I don't think the issue is the arm itself but the rose joint it bolts to in the hub. That said, I have no first hand experience of it yet. Still to fit the mammoth stack of parts for the rear.

1st Gear

Status
    Wow, I probably would have given up with the brakes. Good to see your sticking with your investment (money pit) .

Ive only got the 4pot brembo Gt kit on mine and the difference it made was pretty amazing. I can only imaging what your setup is going to be like.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by lorryz View Post
    Wow, I probably would have given up with the brakes. Good to see your sticking with your investment (money pit) .

Ive only got the 4pot brembo Gt kit on mine and the difference it made was pretty amazing. I can only imaging what your setup is going to be like.

oh trust me mate, 6 pots make all the difference it crazy... a gentle tap sends your ribs almost crushed on the damn seat belt LOL

Down under

Status
    Yeah keen to find out but not in a major rush. Be nice to get it all done at once and have a decent transformation.

I just logged this...

Not bad 224gs / 0.8 = ~280bhp I know it's not a 100% accurate reading but still!

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    the Aussie S3's are taking form now:P oh yeah

Status
    Not bad 224gs / 0.8 = ~280bhp I know it's not a 100% accurate reading but still!
    Nice reading. Any plans to get on a dyno soon to see what it's pushing?

Also have you checked your injector duty cycles? Mine are borderline maxed at 228g/s
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Yeah for sure. Annoying that the car freaked out on the rollers before (Haldex switching power on/off to rear) and the operators just said "Oh yeah the older Haldex cars do that" but I didn't think to pull the 31 fuse.

Down under

Status
    No real news but I took the car on a 1000km road trip to the snow about 5 hrs south of Sydney. It's not a bad drive (apart from the average speed cameras in the middle of no where). The car was faultless although it used more juice than on a previous trip, not sure why? Used to get 900km from a tank, this trip I only managed 650km?

Anyhow, the IATs were awesome as you'd expect. While we were down there it was mostly in single figures! I even managed to match ambient temps on boost. The AH Fabs v2 cooler is bloody awesome!

Still no sign of my ground control top mounts. USPS are taking f'ing ages. They were sent the same time as the rear arms from gruvenparts yet have taken almost a month!

I have a nearside brand new OEM driveshaft to fit too. Just need the 17mm hex key.

Neutral

Status
    How long did the Gruevenparts arms take to get to Aus? I ordered mine a week ago.

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    900KM from a tank of fuel? that's 560 miles!

Never heard of anyone getting anything like that here! 600km sounds much more typical, 372 miles.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

ZAS
    Neutral

Status
    +1 with Prawn - how do you get 900 k's on a tank!?

Best I've managed is around 650 - 680...

Status
    400 mile is my best and that was pulling onto the petrol station forecourt running on fumes.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Down under

Status
    Haha I could have sworn it was 900km but sounds like it must have been less :/ I guess 650km isn't bad then !

Maverick: I think they took about a week once he finally sent them. They had to be painted. I wasn't in too much of a rush though as I want to fit everything in one hit.

Looking like the car will go in for a bit of work soon (not sure whether the GT28 will go on just yet). I'll have a VR6 as a loan car while he works on it...

Neutral

Status
    Cheers, yeah I haven't received any info if they've actually been sent yet... just sick of the rear end jumping all over the damn road.