Anyone raced a boxster?

S3_Driver

Reaction score
Pretty soon my car's going to have a 269bhp MTM conversion (stage 3?) and me and some of my friends are going on a little road trip to Germany. One of my friends has a boxster (about 2 years old) and I'm wondering if my cars going to be quicker after it's been chipped? I've never raced him with my car as standard and he definitely thinks his porsche is quicker. I should dust him in a straight line, right?

I had a race with a boxster (2.7) who cheekily cut me up on the entrance to a large roundabout.
I completely floored it going round the first bend, and went into the next bend of the roundabout very very hot. Got massive 4 wheel drift from the centre lane all the way to the outer lane, luckily the car caught grip before I made an acquaintance with the barrier.

The gf was screaming.... The boxster ate my dust.

Standard S3.

Like any car or bike, it's the way you drive/ride it. Figures mean little on real roads (unless of course you are having a race on a straight motorway/dual carriage way - but that's not really a race in my eyes, as it requires ****** all driving skill).

I had two in one and a half in one night...! Coming back from Nottm on the M42 whislt overtaking a car doing 80ish a boxster came tearing up behind me lights a blazing. So I obligingly pulled over. When I saw it was a boxster S I thought hmm lets see what you have then. Pulled out behind him and he floored it trying to loose me off his tail. When he realised that this was not working he pulled in and then got on my tail. Lets just say as he saw the gap gradually increasing he backed off.

Then coming onto some twisty bits a normal boxster was in front of me going for it. Its was quicker going into corners but I was always able to get onto the power quicker making up some pace.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your g/f get the bus or walk now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

By the sounds of things my friend might be getting a bit of a surprise from my lowly S3 then. lol

Cheers.

I got handed my *** on a silver platter by an old bloke in a Boxter S.
It was a wet day, through sweeping bends covered in leaves...S3 teritory you'd think wouldn't you? I certainly did...

The bloke pulled out in front of me, and took off...I gave chase with a "I'll teach you a lesson'" sort of attitude...only to have the bloke disappear off into the distance.

It out handled, out braked and out accelerated my S3.

My S3 was running 270+ BHP, 315+ lb-ft at the time...

I have a big respect for the ability of the Boxter after that...

As has been said, a well driven Boxter WILL leave an S3...chipped or otherwise. A well briven Boxter S will murder an S3.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your g/f get the bus or walk now! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

(laugh)...she wasn't best pleased, no.
Doesn't bode well for my safe driving reputation... I just hate snobby individuals driving cars like that thinking they own the road.

Off you all go then...go looking for Boxters...

I know my S3 was the quickest i've ever driven...and I know how much a Boxter pulled out on me.

Having driven Boxters, I also know that they have a sublime chassis and, in S spec, a fantastic engine...easily better than the S3's lump.
A Boxter is quicker than an S3 off the mark, through the gears and top end.
A Boxter S is MUCH quicker than an S3 off the mark (a second quicker!), also quicker through the gears and an even faster top end.

Even the figures for a chipped S3 don't match factory fresh Boxter S figures.

My chipped S3 ran out of puff in top - flat out...but we couldn't eek it over 148 (KPH obviously) on the Road Angel.
The Boxter (non S) that was behind didn't appear to have too much difficulty matching the speed.

But, believe what you like...

Where a well re-mapped S3 will gain, is coming out of tight, low speed corners or meduim speed tight-ish corners, where you can really make the torque and traction work for you.

I had a Boxster (2.7), have driven a 225 S3 and now have a 3.2V6 A3 and the Boxster is quicker in some ways, but not as good in others.

It is lighter than an S3, puts the power down better off the mark and is mid engined so handles superbly. The chassis is ultralight and has a fast revving flat 6 which has big torque throughout the range...
The 2.7 though is only 227 BHP and the S is about 250-260 depending on the age so those of you with chipped cars should be beating them in a power drag with the turbo up and spinning.
Wouldnt say an S3 would 'leave it for dead' by any means, its a great car...
(shame about some of the drivers!)

What are you on? One minute you are slating the S3 then back tracking saying it will actually achieve something. hmmm.

[ QUOTE ]
What are you on? One minute you are slating the S3 then back tracking saying it will actually achieve something. hmmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

But not contradicting....

Everything has its pros and cons. I will guarantee that glen knows what he is talking about in this field... There is no point arguing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Who is arguing. I have not point to prove. I can also gaurentee you I know my stuff. Having worked for Prodrive in Banbury on many projects.

[ QUOTE ]

I know my S3 was the quickest i've ever driven...and I know how much a Boxter pulled out on me.

Having driven Boxters, I also know that they have a sublime chassis and, in S spec, a fantastic engine...easily better than the S3's lump.
A Boxter is quicker than an S3 off the mark, through the gears and top end.
A Boxter S is MUCH quicker than an S3 off the mark (a second quicker!), also quicker through the gears and an even faster top end.

Even the figures for a chipped S3 don't match factory fresh Boxter S figures.

My chipped S3 ran out of puff in top - flat out...but we couldn't eek it over 148 (KPH obviously) on the Road Angel.
The Boxter (non S) that was behind didn't appear to have too much difficulty matching the speed.

But, believe what you like...

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely agree with you on that. The Boxster (especially the 3.2 S) will completely out pace an S3 on any road. But there is so much down to the driver that it can easily sway the other way. Of course on a straight motorway, the porsche will leave an S3 standing.
Doing track days on my r6 I often pass people on much quicker and much better tackle, and get passed by people sometimes with much less power too. All I'm saying that a driver's skill is a much bigger factor than most people think.
Like for like driver... the boxster will paste an S3 any day. It'll corner faster, change direction easier, and give much better feedback. It is a Porsche at the end of the day.

Was it ever in question that an S3 (chipped or not) would beat a Boxster S in any scenario?
And I'm sure a (2.7) boxster would have a standard S3 licked on a straight road (I'm sure any boxster could out run any -chipped or not- S3 on the twisties). But what about a 2.7 boxster V's a chipped S3 on a straight road?
Would be quite tight I reckon. Anyone had experience of both? Figures would probably support the chipped S3.

yeah but i'd outbrake him with my "cough" porsche brakes.
Again i'd agree with the glens.Depends who is driving,i've had cars that would have detroyed s3's and boxsters in a straight line but come the twisties and i'd would have alot more cautious because of it's twitchyness ,i drive my s3 really hard now because i it's more predicatable and this is how the two differs,do you have the ability/balls to push the car?

[ QUOTE ]
yeah but i'd outbrake him with my "cough" porsche brakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I to assume that you believe you could outbrake a Boxter with the Porsche front brakes on your S3?

The Boxter with Porsche brakes all round, immaculate balance, mid engine...and lighter overall weight than your S3?
Surely not... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

do you have the ability/balls to push the car?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it all comes down to how well the driver responds to understeer or oversteer characteristics, and their particular penchant for either.

I've looked a bit more into this and I still agree with the people who said I should win this. The boxster isn't much lighter and I'm going to have at least 50 bhp and nearly 100 ft/lbs torque advantage. This "race" is going to be on the autobahn so there's no corners to screw up on. I can't see how I'm losing this one! Anyway I'll let you know how I got on (in about a month).

was a little joke glen hence the "cough" .I do find the porsche 993tt front brakes v.good though.
As for whats faster etc..I am sure that a pro driver could lap most tracks quicker in a honda s2000 than a standard boxster.At the end of the day these are sports cars which are more focused and a s3 is a hot hatch which really is more geared at the luxury market,also you could take the kids to school and do the shopping so it has a little bit of everything and is a great all rounder.
Just slightly off topic i was filling up my petrol recently and a subaru sti(bugeye) pulled in while i was paying i looked at the two cars together and the s3 just ouzed class,makes me remember why i bought it.

remember you are losing around 60-70bhp through the tranny compared to a boxsters 40bhp roughly, also most s3's are at least 1400kg with a few options and all porsches tend to have a longer top gear.

[ QUOTE ]
I've looked a bit more into this and I still agree with the people who said I should win this. The boxster isn't much lighter and I'm going to have at least 50 bhp and nearly 100 ft/lbs torque advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]
And 4x4 trasmition loss as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Porsche is the better car for real driving full stop.

On a side note, figures mean nothing! The driver who is willing to push his car the hardest will almost always win. In my old 200bhp Ibiza turbo, I was 'beaten' by a standard 106 gti purely because I wasn't willing to hurt my car, lol.

[ QUOTE ]
I've looked a bit more into this and I still agree with the people who said I should win this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good...

[ QUOTE ]

The boxster isn't much lighter and I'm going to have at least 50 bhp and nearly 100 ft/lbs torque advantage. This "race" is going to be on the autobahn so there's no corners to screw up on. I can't see how I'm losing this one!

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever...obviously yours is the fastest S3 around, and you the best driver.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway I'll let you know how I got on (in about a month).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be counting down the days...
I just don't know how I'm ever going to sleep at night.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Very good...

I just don't know how I'm ever going to sleep at night.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you also a moderator on the Sarcasm forum? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

Can we change this to...'Does anyone really care if its faster than a boxster?'. I am very bored, yet keep checking the post and its driving me mental.

How will I sleep tonight now I am frought with worry about which is faster?

Has anyone got a boxster or am I gonna have to bring mine out. It is a bit like the McLaren Mercedes from an old thread (part cortina part GRP) but she rips!

Someone please get a video of an S3 against a boxster and post it.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Hi all
2 years back i was returning from Le-manns on the autoroute in my S3 210bhp as standard but with a knackered maf sensor when at about110mph a fool in a porsche boxster pulled out in front of us with no indication, i slammed on the brakes and called the english driver all the appropriate expletives needed then he tried to race off, at 120 i was glued to his rear and he pulled in at about 135 and when i had passed he pulled back out behind us but he had nothing left at 140 or his bottle ran out anyhow cant remember if it was an "s" or not but as my brother said at the time "what a waste of time it was and he thought it would have been quicker.
Was a good day of fast driving and some exotica got a good thrashing and suprised by a yellow S3.
Cheers "Bingo" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've looked a bit more into this and I still agree with the people who said I should win this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good...

[ QUOTE ]

The boxster isn't much lighter and I'm going to have at least 50 bhp and nearly 100 ft/lbs torque advantage. This "race" is going to be on the autobahn so there's no corners to screw up on. I can't see how I'm losing this one!

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway I'll let you know how I got on (in about a month).

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Having been on this forum as a part time audi enthusiaist, I think I can safely say that you (Ess Three) are the most iritatingly patronising individual that i have ever come across. In my opinion most people post here for fun and entertainment, not to be abused by a supersilious individual such as yourself. If you are wondering why I am posting this in open forum, it is simply because you abuse your position of "moderator" to such an extent that the privilege should be removed.You may have an extensive knowledge of things automotive, but the way you dispense insults and criticisms marks you out as a cheap bully!!

Jimbo.... publish and be damned!!

It's always the same on every car forum I've ever been on:
Someone posts a "Can a (car 1) beat a (car 2)" thread and it ALWAYS ends the same way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Someone posts an answer based on experience, then someone doesn't like the answer as obviously their car is the fastest thing around and someone disputes evidence, blah blah blah... and it turns into a slagging match.

WHO REALLY CARES WHICH CAR IS THE FASTEST? Get on a track to prove it if you do and can everyone stop whining about it please?!

What do you guys think would win?
A turtle or a snail?
I think the turtle would take it in a strait line, but the snail's lower center of gravity and its advantage in grip would outmatch the turtle on the turns. Seriously though, I do enjoy these comparisons, one of my all time favorites has to be the Porsche 996tt vs. the Corvette Z06.
I think that the trubo woul beat it in all categories, and is the one I would choose for my garage. I must say that I am a little biased in this comparison as my father owned a black on black 996tt that I was fortunate enough to drive. When the boost hits (and it does so at a fairly low rpm) you are virtually kicked in the back by your seat and the world flashes by like in the light speed scene in Star Wars, AMAZING!!! It also handled and stopped like nothing I had ever driven before. Being 16 at the time, I will say that I had not had much driving experience, but I had driven a BMW M coupe, 540i sport, and 740i sport before hand. Now he has traded in the turbo on the new 997 Carrera S. While it cannot quite match the turbo's grunt, it outhandles and outbrakes it. I am only 18, so my driving experience may not be as developed as others on this website, but I have driven both the turbo and the new 997 as well as four boxter 2.7 (loner cars while the 911 was in the shop). I love my audi, but Porsche is simply in a different league. There is no substitute!
By the way, the boxster would leave an s3 in the dust! HAHAHAHAHA

[ QUOTE ]

Having been on this forum as a part time audi enthusiaist, I think I can safely say that you (Ess Three) are the most iritatingly patronising individual that i have ever come across.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Jimbo, I read your prose with interest...and laughter...
Thank you for that...it's the best laugh I've had in ages.

I'm sure you'll understand if I don't give a rat's *** about the inane ramblings of a self confessed part-time site user.

Iritatingly patronising...indeed I am.
Thank you for pointing that out. You have a special talent for pointing out the obvious...a special boy indeed.

[ QUOTE ]

In my opinion most people post here for fun and entertainment, not to be abused by a supersilious individual such as yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Abused? Oh dear, have I upset you?
What a poor attempt at a man you are...get your cotton wool suit off and stop your whining.

...and your use of big words in indeed impressive.
Less impressive is your ability to spell the big words...supercilious is spelled with a 'c' in the middle...not an 's'.
So forgive me if I'm not upset by you drivel...

My understanding of the English language is that sarcasm is a valid form of humour...evidently one you are unable to translate and comprehend. This is no concern of mine.

[ QUOTE ]

If you are wondering why I am posting this in open forum,

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not...
I really don't care.

[ QUOTE ]

it is simply because you abuse your position of "moderator" to such an extent that the privilege should be removed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting...
Perhaps you should give me the benefit of your worldly wise interpretation of what a Moderator does?
I can assure you, I fulfill my role as well as any other moderator...and more committed than many.

I also fail to see in the forum rules where I am expected to waive any personal opinion I may have on subjects posted, or remove the use of sarcasm from my posts.

Moderator is a position...not a brainwashed state of mind.

[ QUOTE ]

You may have an extensive knowledge of things automotive, but the way you dispense insults and criticisms marks you out as a cheap bully!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, so I am supposed to accept the incorrect cr*p that is spoken as gospel on this site, am I?
Insults and criticism will remain to be dished out whenever I deem it necessary.
Grow up...

[ QUOTE ]

You may have an extensive knowledge of things automotive, but the way you dispense insults and criticisms marks you out as a cheap bully!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's your thought for today, Jimbo...

If I am the bully that you have decided I am, why didn't I simply remove the post containing your ramblings and issue you a 1 week ban, for your troubles?

You have not hacked me of at all. If you find some posters rants annoying there is no need to retort with abusive torrents it proves nothing you sound just as stupid. The fact you or anyone else may have spent money on modyfying numerous cars does not make them an authorative source. Not in the slightest. The clever bit is actually understanding the dynamics of handling/performance and design/manufacturing appropriate bespoke components so anyone can buy them for their vehicles with the intention of improving performance..

I have owned 2 Boxsters (first one 2.7 220bhp, second one facelifted 2.7 227bhp) and they are not the hairdressers cars people think they are, but as said are very well balanced out and out sports cars. They are too easy to drive fast on fast twisty technical roads. Drive a decent newish one, they are sublime. The early 2.5s are'nt worth the effort.

On a dual carrageway or motorway a standard 225 S3 will have no problems keeping pace with a boxster and i know from first hand experience. I cant comment on the Boxster S! Though i have a new facelifted S (280bhp) on order, i susspect it will be better balanced than my 996 4S.

They are totally different cars for different purposes!

a real school yard...
can we all go back to the subject.
It was getting interesting with different and contradictory experiences. Personally, it is the main reason why I ask questions in here: have more than one answer and if they are different the better!

PS: if you feel someone insult you, just dont bother answering. They are obviously not worse it since they insult you.

my 2p only

[ QUOTE ]
The fact you or anyone else may have spent money on modyfying numerous cars does not make them an authorative source. Not in the slightest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo!
But it may allow them to save somebody elses money, by preventing them from making the same mistake?

[ QUOTE ]

The clever bit is actually understanding the dynamics of handling/performance and design/manufacturing appropriate bespoke components so anyone can buy them for their vehicles with the intention of improving performance..

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure if I should take that as a dig, or not....

As someone who has studied chassis dynamics for over 10 years, and as someone who actually makes their own chassis parts...I think I know what I'm on about.
The difference is, my set up works, but doesn't add any 'bling'...which just won't do for the majority, will it now?

Pray tell, where do you actually fit into your comment above?

[ QUOTE ]
The clever bit is actually understanding the dynamics of handling/performance and design/manufacturing appropriate bespoke components so anyone can buy them for their vehicles with the intention of improving performance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yet again I have to question whether you have actually read any of Ess_Three's posts on this? His understanding is apparent, alongside his clear, well-reasoned explanations of why the mods work or don't work. Opinions on the performance enhancing mods are also backed up with data from dyno runs before AND after.

Well I have to say... think everyone should leave Ess_Three alone... I think he has a very well "balanced" view, and doesn't seem to feel the need to say the S3 is the best car in the world all the time like some on here seem to think... his arrogance or sarcasm is as far as I can tell funny to 99.999% of people on this forum including myself, and I think anyone trying to make there S3 any good could do with listening to what he has to say....

Rant over...

ps.... been meaning to ask where you got your third FMIC made and if they'd be interested in making another as that seems one of the best mods for an S3 ever...