Anyone raced a boxster?

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three i must stress in no uncertain terms, that if you carry on with your witty replies and somewhat bonecrushing dry humour, i find that i may have to request you supply myself with a donor rib as mine seem to crack with laughter when you get the proverbial "bit between your teeth"! I believe your colleague moderator is a doctor so we can carry out the operation with no delay! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

CJ, I'm pleased there are still those who can pick the dry humour out of my obviously insulting, sarcastic and obnoxious posts.
For that, I am genuinely grateful.

Unfortunately the bold doctor's expertise is probably not what you seek...and besides, he's NHS...you'd be waiting forever!

Oh dear, as the ex saxo/nova brigade move onto S3's they become the fastest cars on the planet just like the civic type-r's.

Nobody on here tells it like it is as well as Ess_three! He doesn't tell you his new shiney bits added 50bhp as claimed by tuners just because he's spent £1000's on them but tells you the true measured before and after gains.
I am truley grateful for the advice people like him give on these boards as he has prevented me wasting money.

Please dont turn this into a S3 vs everything on the planet and won forum. If you want to do that buy a CTR and register at www.civictype-r.co.uk

[ QUOTE ]
Well I have to say... think everyone should leave Ess_Three alone...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks god_thats...

It it that obvious that I'm in need of help? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I think he has a very well "balanced" view, and doesn't seem to feel the need to say the S3 is the best car in the world all the time like some on here seem to think...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks...

[ QUOTE ]

his arrogance or sarcasm is as far as I can tell funny to 99.999% of people on this forum including myself, and I think anyone trying to make there S3 any good could do with listening to what he has to say....

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks again...

[ QUOTE ]

ps.... been meaning to ask where you got your third FMIC made and if they'd be interested in making another as that seems one of the best mods for an S3 ever...

[/ QUOTE ]

I only ever had 2...I removed the passenger side SMIC and ran a full width FMIC and an uprated drivers side SMIC, with modified turbo pipework, Samco hoses and massive clips!

I ran them lead-lag...from the turbo, through the SMIC, then the FMIC and into the engine.

1,89 bar of boost, on a dyno, air temp at the TB was 21 degrees. Pertty impressive cooling!

Forge Motorsport made both ICs...the FMIC to a design knocked up by Jim at Star Performance and the SMIC based on a Forge uprated Golf 4 SMIC bith with the end caps to suit an S3's IC layout.

I'm sure if you speak to Russell Butt at Forge Motorsport, he'll try to help out...i know Russell well, he's an absolute gent...unfailingly heplful...if it can be done...I'm sure Russell will assist you.

If it's the FMIC you want, give Jim at Star Performance a call...although Imola S3 had been told they were no longer offering a FMIC for the S3...who knows!

[ QUOTE ]
Oh dear, as the ex saxo/nova brigade move onto S3's they become the fastest cars on the planet just like the civic type-r's.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true...sadly...

[ QUOTE ]

Nobody on here tells it like it is as well as Ess_three! He doesn't tell you his new shiney bits added 50bhp as claimed by tuners just because he's spent £1000's on them but tells you the true measured before and after gains.
I am truley grateful for the advice people like him give on these boards as he has prevented me wasting money.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You mean my replies weren't too obnoxious? Or sarcastic? Or arrogant?

I'll have to sit down now...and perhaps try a little harder!

[ QUOTE ]

Please dont turn this into a S3 vs everything on the planet and won forum. If you want to do that buy a CTR and register at www.civictype-r.co.uk

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That was bordering on sarcastic...you want to be careful...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif That was bordering on sarcastic...you want to be careful...

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I fall into the category of of design/development having previously worked on Champ car aerodynamics and airflow analysis of turbos and fuel systems. Now working in the aerospace industry developing fuel systems and thrust reverser systems. So my knowledge is definitely science based.

Thanks for the info... must have mis read something a while ago, thought you'd managed to squash another one inbetween the normal two!

If I decide not to sell the S3 and buy a nice diesel A4... how long before the Max Power brigade get to them you reckon chaps??? another few months when they get real jobs and have to drive more than two miles a months in there Chav Chariots? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Sorry getitng a bit bitter that a friend gets to do 700 miles for £40 of fuel in his A4 and I get about 350 miles for £60 of optimax. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

Not having properly thrashed an S3 before I'm not sure I can really compare but on paper a boxster S should win on all counts, due to weight, and actual BHP (Which is power at the wheels, once transmission losses are deducted).

Having driven (Thrashed) the old Boxster S I would say that the car is more than a match for many cars on the road and will easily take the S3, as it can definitely take my A3T (which is quicker than a chipped S3 (Purely down to weight and power train loss)) in a straight line sprint.....and [censored] all over me every where else.

The above is just opinion, but you only need to look at the facts and it's self explanatory.

[ QUOTE ]
I fall into the category of of design/development having previously worked on Champ car aerodynamics and airflow analysis of turbos and fuel systems. Now working in the aerospace industry developing fuel systems and thrust reverser systems. So my knowledge is definitely science based.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one...sounds interesting..is it?

My knowledge comes from a mixture of theory and reality...many books and many car projects and too many hours in the fab shop making new suspension / engine parts that don't work....Oh, and a lot of enthusiasm.

Occasionally though, you 'create' something that just works...

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info... must have mis read something a while ago, thought you'd managed to squash another one inbetween the normal two!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope...only the two.
It would be possible to fit an efficient FMIC in between the two SMICs though, should you wish to do so...I was getting concerned about system volume though, and didn't want to add any more lag...hence keeping the total system volume fairly close to the original design spec.

The advantage of binning the pass side SMIC is that you can run a 4" duct from the point of highest pressure down at the front bumper skin (tested with a manometer) up to the airbox, to try to create some ram-air effect...don't know if it works...but it does give you a source of fresh, clean, cold air for the inlet.
You can't get a decent sized cold air duct in, if you still have the pass side SMIC fitted.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice one...sounds interesting..is it?

My knowledge comes from a mixture of theory and reality...many books and many car projects and too many hours in the fab shop making new suspension / engine parts that don't work....Oh, and a lot of enthusiasm.

Occasionally though, you 'create' something that just works...

[/ QUOTE ]

The aero work on the champ car was very good. Worked on the airflow disturbances caused by the driver helmet with respect to the the air intake. Unfortunately did not get any jollies to the states. When you are testing it is very interesting, you get to break things occasionally. The downside is the report writing and dealer with customers who at tmes ask for the impossible. Before that I was a motor mechanic but got fed up and decided to go to college/university.

CJB62.0, I'm a bit rusty on rib repairs, but a straight jacket should hold them in place as you chortle and reduce the likely damage

You couldnt do that, it would stop him post whoring! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

To Dave R. I am in no way questioning Glen. I think that his repsonses can be a bit too abrassive, abusive and more importantly unecessary others may or may not agree with me. You obviously do not. If someone is posting pie in the sky there are better ways of discussing the issue at hand rather than throwing sarcasm, ridicule and insults. I do not come on here to throw insults and especially not to take any regardless of how many posts the have submitted. It gives them no right. You can refer everyone, including yourself, to the 'rules' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I am in no way questioning Glen. I think that his repsonses can be a bit too abrassive, abusive and more importantly unecessary others may or may not agree with me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes...I think we have established thet I am able to upset the more frail members of the community...so what?
The comments are mine...and therefore as valid as anybody elses...if you don't like then you can either say so, or ignore them.
Neither of which is going to make me come over all sickly sweet and start pandering to the needs of the cotton-wool people.

[ QUOTE ]

I would not take on Glen in the technical department, his knowledge is obviously greater than mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is bo 'taking on' to be done...

I'm bored with all this now...

[ QUOTE ]

but that does not give him the right to insult! perhaps this attitude has been fostered by too many posts from sychophantic admirers. why else would he refer to people who post in agreement with him as "goons" or is it just because he is deeply misunderstood?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you need to re-read the thread...
The comment was regarding the people who formulate a plainly stupid idea and feel the need to have a load of ignorant internet based instant experts agree with them rather than face the cold facts of reality.
I have no such needs...
If I'm wrong, I'm wrong...I don't need someone massaging my ego by telling me I'm right, when I'm plainly wrong.

locked2.gif

What a good idea Grant...

But if I did, I'd only get labeled as a fascist dictator type who can't possibly leave threads containing people voicing their displeasure at his behavior.

Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

Besides...this thread is amusing me.
I find it incredible that a few flippant comments from some anonymous goon (that would be me, for all those who might have missed the reference) on a web board can cause people so much personal distress.

I just don't get it...
There is nothing that could be said on here that would cause me to get wound up...it's a web board for Christ sake!...a source of entertainment....I can't understand why people take things to heart.

Incredible...

[ QUOTE ]
Who owns a Boxter and is willing to rac against a chipped S3?

Who owns a chipped S3 and is willing to race it against a Boxter?

Would make a great focal point for a meet at Brands Hatch or another circuit. Id be there!
We could even say each participant puts £50 into a hat and winner takes all!
Wow - my ideas are fab!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice idea, but what we are saying is that it has already been done. Glen had his *** handed to him on a silver platter by a Boxster on give and take Scottish roads. Glen was driving one of the quickest and best handling S3s I have seen and given his sheer speed on such roads (as witnessed by many here) there can be no argument that the S3 was in any way under driven.

I have struggled to keep up with a Boxster S at Knockhill racing circuit in the same S3 (and I'm not known to drive a slow lap)

I have run my old S4 extensively against Glen's S3, and found it to be largely the same in a straight line... I too have been beaten in a straight line sprint by a Boxster.

If you "happen upon one" on the roads who is to say how fast / comitted the driver is? I've overtaken and lapped a 360 modena at Knockhill in the wet in my S4 - but it sure as hell doesn't mean that the 360 is slower. Unless you know the driver, know the car - just by tailgaiting one once, you cannot claim that car a is faster or better than car b...

An alternative to repsonding to pie in the sky? Simple take a leaf out of your own book and do not reply. Easy...isn't it?

off topic again (but to be honest who cares by now!)

Glen... i would love to se some pics of your car. do you have many or any on the web or could you email me?

thanks

[ QUOTE ]
An alternative to repsonding to pie in the sky? Simple take a leaf out of your own book and do not reply. Easy...isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it;s far from easy...

Going back to my point about the theoretical posters making forums 90% fiction, if every post was left unchallenged there would be no factual, objective information for people to use in a helpful and constructive way...

Too many times people have posted that car x is better than car y, or mod x is better than mod y purely on the basis of interweb chatter. If you have done the work, tried the parts and found the result then you post the result, and if that upsets the theorists then so be it.

I'll happily argue my point without recourse to insult (and if people do find the term "clown" insulting then I hang my head) - it would be nice to see an educated comeback too...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is...but it's not me who's getting wound up and upset, is it?

People who believe some tuning company's outrageous bul*[censored] claims deserve to be replied to, and informed of thier stupidity.

[ QUOTE ]

I'll happily argue my point without recourse to insult (and if people do find the term "clown" insulting then I hang my head)

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

it would be nice to see an educated comeback too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it just...

[ QUOTE ]

Nice idea, but what we are saying is that it has already been done. Glen had his *** handed to him on a silver platter by a Boxster on give and take Scottish roads. Glen was driving one of
I have run my old S4 extensively against Glen's S3, and found it to be largely the same in a straight line... I too have been beaten in a straight line sprint by a Boxster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your S4 (330bhp) was poor if it could not outdrag the S3 or a 911 964 C4.

[ QUOTE ]

Glen... i would love to se some pics of your car. do you have many or any on the web or could you email me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure the new owner on the uber S3 (David R) will not mind me displaying a picture of his pride and joy:

33526090-80a4-02000180-.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
I think your S4 (330bhp) was poor if it could not outdrag the S3 or a 911 964 C4.

[/ QUOTE ]

The S4 vs S3 comparison was with the S4 in standard mode 265bhp 300lbft... The S4 was if anything slightly faster (say 1 car length at 100mph)

Re the Porsche - apparently not. Same day, same dyno for the power results...

I borrowed an E46 M3 from the dealer and that would only pull a car length or 2 on the 964 at 130 mph....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can ussure you there was nothing wrong with Dave's S4...
The 964 appears to have some exceptionally powerful horses - in line with all of that particular marques products..
...and the S3 was simply a bit special.
I know of no other running as much boost, nor as well set up...

The S4 chipped would pull easily from chipped S3s TTs on the straights... Just not that damn 911...

[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately the bold doctor's expertise is probably not what you seek...and besides, he's NHS...you'd be waiting forever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww well what a shame i guess i shall have to keep looking on Ebay or this sites very own trade section /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

IIRC you would get maybe 3-4 car lengths on me up to about 120, coming off a roundabout...
But only because that supertanker of a barge was holding me up on the roundabout...if I'd got round quicker you'd have been playing catch up...and by 120, you would only just have been going past...slowly!

Oh okay, I would have expected your chipped S4 to destroy the chipped S3. I didnt realise you meant the S4 was standard.

Well as previously said, i have too owned a 1990 964 C4 (250 - ish bhp IIRC) and i've always thought it not to be as quick as my current C4S, and i couldn't do anything with an M3 i encountered. I went to teach him a lesson and got shown my 4rse, both clogged it from 90-ish and it pulled 1-2 lengths.
there must be nothing between the 964C4 and the 996 C4S, i feel sick all of a sudden!

[ QUOTE ]
well back on topic,i like to point out a site that compares the two cars;
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp
go to comparison,then audi s3(210hp) and porsche boxster 2.7(220hp)
you can look at all sorts of facts interesting facts;
boxster is slightly quicker round nurburgring and hock.Has quicker acceleration and handling(slalom test) and top speed.
Interestingly s3 has as good if not better braking and most importantly much better in-gear times which means in real life driving it's quick.So it's close really.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one thing the braking does not take into account is fade which the S3 brakes will do when pushed unlike the Porsche brakes I would think, so reality would have the porsche win I think especially if it was an S.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You can always upgrade the rears on the A/S3 which brings the bias back into line, therefore reducing stopping distances, with all the advantages of the front kit.

Rich

I've out dragged a boxter 80-100 in my modified S3 (APR Optimax, MillTek exhaust and cat) but that isn't a real test of a car.
The big difference in my opinion between the S3 and the Boxter is the level of skill required to drive it quickly. You need to be more committed to drive a Boxter (or any RWD car) fast in this damp country we live in.

Cheers,
Dan

[ QUOTE ]

You need to be more committed to drive a Boxter (or any RWD car) fast in this damp country we live in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure Dan,
Anyone with a respectable level of driving ability will agree that the S3 understeers everywhere in the damp / wet.
The Boxter does not...but it will stick it's rear out under severe provocation.

I find the front end of the Boxter grips way beyond the levels of the S3...and as long as you've not got lead boots on, you can get on the power quickly in the Boxter and make good progress...the Boxter is probably the best balanced car i've ever driven...
But, the knowledge that the Boxter's front end itn't going to let go, takes some getting used to...

Would this be classed as committed?
Perhaps...

I think the S3 is easier to drive quickly, sooner...if that makes sense.

But, in real world driving, the sublime chassis of the Boxter make it very easy to cover ground quickly even in properly wet conditions...perhaps more so than the Boxter S, as you don't have the threat of power oversteer looming large.

I agree that most front engined RWD cars take a higher level of commitment than required for the lokes of the S3...but the rules DO change slightly for RWD mid-engined cars with the weight right in the middle of the chassis....you get incredibly predictable chassis dynamics, and very little snap 'nastiness'.

Wow what a rather long thread, unsure on the straight line pace of the Boxster in all honesty .... but having test driven a 210bhp S3 on Monday to replace my 306 Rallye, if the roads were bendy and dry i really cant see an S3 keeping up with my excellently setup Peugeot let alone a Boxster ..... also having just asked my housemate (who just happens to be a professional racing driver/ex-Palmers instructor) which would be the better car in the twisties he also comfirms my thought that in the right hands, the Boxster would waltz away - hes driven both extensively by the way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

At the end of the day, any fool can drive fast in a straight line so whats the point in comparing ..... a very good car seperates itself from a good car when the roads begin to bend ...

An amusing thread none the less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Glen told me to read this so I have, great fun guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif Any luck on the straight jacket Conor? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

David R do you work in Mental Health? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

Glen Keep it up - even though this is off topic I like a good school yard fight. I liked the facist dictator point - I'm impressed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ok back to topic - Porkers are in a diffrent league, so best leave them there or stand to loose some face! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

WOW I saw this thread a few days ago, but didn't read it. Although it's just taken me an "age" to read and there are some mis guided comments in here, but it's the same with a lot of threads.