Cam belt change?

Rob W8

Reaction score
Website
www.w8performance.co.uk
Hi all, glad we are back working again. Roughly how much is a cambelt change going to cost on my 1.8T Quattro? It has done 59000, shall I do it soon?
If it is too much can I do it with a Woolworths tool kit and a cordless drill? (kidding)

Rob

Got mine done at a local garage for about £150 (think it was around that much, it was 6 months ago).

I changed my own cambelt not two bad of a job A3 1.8T Quattro If you no what your doing.

[ QUOTE ]
Rob,
RSD in Daventry will do it for £250+vat. This includes changing the waterpump .etc at the same time.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rich,

I am taking it to QS Tuning for a 60k service and will have a chat with them about the cam belt etc at the same time.

I want to get it Dyno'd to see if it is running right, but they said it would be $90 +vat. Is this about right?

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rob,
RSD in Daventry will do it for £250+vat. This includes changing the waterpump .etc at the same time.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rich,

I am taking it to QS Tuning for a 60k service and will have a chat with them about the cam belt etc at the same time.

I want to get it Dyno'd to see if it is running right, but they said it would be $90 +vat. Is this about right?

Rob

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep sounds about right.

Cheers mate.

I am currently running a book, keeping track of all the cash the wife is spending and putting it down as cash for the car.
In a few more weeks I should have the remap in the bag.

Still waiting for a reply from AMD (hint hint) about costs for a few bits and bobs I emialed them about....

I was told at my last service that the cam belt only need be changed at 180,000 KM which seemed very high to me ??, although I could request it be done earlier if I wanted.

[ QUOTE ]
I was told at my last service that the cam belt only need be changed at 180,000 KM which seemed very high to me ??, although I could request it be done earlier if I wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

id get it done at 80k if i were you. Mines being done next week at 66k

Rich

Fingers crossed it can be sorted easily mate.
I have emailed them and AMD to get some 60K servicing prices. Just have to find out how much a diverter valve is at QST and will book the old girl in!

[ QUOTE ]
Still waiting for a reply from AMD (hint hint) about costs for a few bits and bobs I emialed them about....

[/ QUOTE ]

You will need to phone them Rob, they are always busy, like I said speak to Scott.

QST is closer and quite a good drive round the back roads if you come into T/Wells en route.

did my belt a couple of weeks ago, put the tensioner, idler, belt and waterpump on cost me about £100. any car i buy i always do the belt whether its been done or not but mine was on 77000 so it was due anyway. id only had the car a week and was a good job i hadnt give it to much gas as when i come to do it the belt was slack and the waterpump was just starting to leak

The audi garage said that it didn't have to be changed until 100k miles and then it would cost @ £400.00. Cars done 83K but I will put it in soon to get the work done.

Hopper did you do all the work yourself to get it that cheap?

TIA

yeah i did do the belt myself, the parts were trade prices aswell from audi. but if i had of got the parts from volkswagon they would have been cheaper still

you can get parts cheaper but remember the timing belt is important so spend wisely. the genuine belts are made by gates (the only difference been the belt from audi has the audi logo on it) and can be brought from most motor factors so that may save you a few quid. i personally wouldnt fit any other make, it has to be standard equipment or uprated for my likeing but as with anything its down to personal choice