W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
You still going to come along to shows etc?

Sad to see the S3 go mate but know where your coming from :(

Onwards and upwards

Reactions: Westy
You still going to come along to shows etc?

Sad to see the S3 go mate but know where your coming from :(

Onwards and upwards

Cheers Stace. I shall be at the shows still. Means that as I won't be doing the strip I can do more drinking ;)

Is the S3 for sale or already sold?

gone mate. Straight swap for the TDI.

At least my old S3 will still be seen at the shows and it's new owner will be able to give it the love I've not been able to over the last 2 years.

At least there not piccasos .... :icon_thumright:

I stood strong and made sure we stayed VAG.

Last edited:
Not even a little interested in what the new one can do down the strip? How does it feel compared to the s3?

Not even a little interested in what the new one can do down the strip? How does it feel compared to the s3?

I've not had much driving time in it yet but it's a completely different beast. I'll let you all know how it is once I've done a weeks driving.

It'll be a wheel spinning nightmare on the strip I should expect.

All part of the fun though,lol
Well u sound happy so thats great,

it will run about 15sec that was with the car fully loaded with the cov gear and a full tank of fuel never really took it serious lol

Where's the 'dis-like' button? :bye:

Priorities do change, that's just the way life is. Good to hear it's going to an enthusiast though, and that you've picked up a performance beast as a replacement.

Such a shame that one of the most helpful and detailed build threads in the 8L sections is coming to an end/being sold on.

Cheers for the help and guidance and I'm sure this build thread along with the quick links to each section on the first page will help many more S3 8L owners to come :beerchug:

Great to see you're not doing a Welly and completely disappearing from ASN - who was another very knowledgeable and helpful dude in this section :kissmyrings:

Another plus note is your ring trips will be cheaper lol.

Read through all of this last night....what a thread!

Shame you're getting rid now though.

Where abouts are you in Cambs? Your 8L knowledge could be priceless lol

Doing a 8P build thread?

No point mate as its already complete. It'll be more of a tweaks thread ;)

Read through all of this last night....what a thread!

Shame you're getting rid now though.

Where abouts are you in Cambs? Your 8L knowledge could be priceless lol

I'm not far from Huntingdon mate.

I'm hoping to start improving my 8P knowledge now too.

Reactions: Marshall878
Well guys, as I've migrated over to the dark side I've started a new thread. I'm afraid it won't be as exciting as this one has been but I know I won't be able to completely ignore the little modding devil that sits on my shoulder ;) Anyway click on the little car below.

:greyrs4:

Reactions: StaceyS3
Westy, sorry I know you sold the S3 but I wondered if you ever tried to for 16inch wheels over the 986 calipers on 312mm rotors?

Not many people seem to go for the Boxster calipers as they all want big rotors....

Westy, sorry I know you sold the S3 but I wondered if you ever tried to for 16inch wheels over the 986 calipers on 312mm rotors?

Not many people seem to go for the Boxster calipers as they all want big rotors....

I didn't go any smaller then 17". Do 16" fit over stock S3 callipers? If they do then they might clear the boxsters with the right spacers.

Get the s3 back off the fella and bag yourself a 1.4tdi lupo or arosa for the commute and leave the s3 for a weekend car.

Get the s3 back off the fella and bag yourself a 1.4tdi lupo or arosa for the commute and leave the s3 for a weekend car.

The S3 went 3 years ago. Might be a bit late now. I'm on my second car since the S3! The BMW 535d ticks most of my boxes. Fast, economical, fun, comfortable, big enough for the kids and all their sh!te. I do miss the S3 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CHEZ
You do indeed Fred
Hence still reading your old thread
Gone 3 years and your still mourning,
Get a grip lad, move on its over...

Reactions: g60leigh, superkarl and Westy
Sorry for the thread revival, auld eyes need checked, I could've swore I saw 2017. I thought to myself today that fitting lpg to the s3 would've helped to turn it into a commuter.

But a bmw 535d is fairly hard to whack. I think it may have been a remapped 335d that a saw going up against a remapped b5 s4 and the s4 didn't pull away from him until about 160mph. Even Stephens up to that point.

what the..... just looked at stats for a remapped 335d

On the final run the dyno recorded a max engine power  figure for the remapped BMW 335d of 366.5 (flywheel) bhp and max torque figure 734 nm (541.9ft/lb) !!  stock bhp is 286 and 580 nm!

Nice smooth curves!! @ the Wheel Readings in Green

To put all this into perspective, and we feel it does need to be, take for example a Ferrari f430, this develops somewhere in the order of 465 nm of torque, or a McLaren F1, 649nm, maybe a  Lamborghini Murcielago , which has 660 nm worth of torques under its bonnet. In fact the only realistically priced and semi attainable vehicle we found that came close was the Dodge Viper SRT-10, which has 759 nm of torque, which subsequently  needs an 8.4 litre V10 engine to produce it! Now our little BMW 335d 3.0 l straight 6 pot diesel sounds pretty impressive don’t you think?

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q and Westy
I see Karl still offers priceless input to this forum :) hope you're well mate.

The x35d engine is a beast when remapped and will still return decent economy, especially if you compare that to the cars mentioned above. Like I said, it ticks a lot of boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra and superkarl