W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
did you use Nords on everything Westy? I've got Nords on all my turbo related bolts, manifold to head, manifold to turbo, and turbo to downpipe. Nothing has come loose yet

Yes mate everywhere. Only weak link is the DP as I had to use bolts as I forgot to order the nuts for the studs. I'll change to studs when I get time except on the top fixing as there will be no clearance for a nut.

Well. Turns out the back DP bolt had come out completely. I found it complete with nordlocks still on it resting between the 2 parallel power steering hoses by the subframe.

Spent a good 4 hours stripping a load down, loosening up the DP to get the bolt back in (with loctite and new nords) and including a mad rush to Halfords for emergency tools 10 mins before it shut.

It's all tight and sounds so much better now that the exhaust system is actually working! Wonder how much performance I've been loosing over the last 800 miles since it was all done :faint:

Got some studs and nuts to collect on Saturday so I'll get those fitted if these bolts work their way loose again, which I'm sure they will.

how did you get to it?

Remove strut brace, charge pipe, red hose, passenger side wheel and arch lining then it's easier to access from underneath. I separated the DP from the decat so there was no force on it at the turbo. I then loosened the other 2 bolts to get the missing one in straight, the put all back together.

The rear bolt is the hardest to access where it is due to the way the DP bends back on itself. at present the bolt in there has a head that takes an 8mm hex socket which wont fit in the gap. Had to rush to Halfords to get some allen keys with the ball ends to access tight places ;)

glad youve sorted it mate. what kind of noise was it making mate wisling noise or just loud grunt as if its not together westy cheers

Remove strut brace, charge pipe, red hose, passenger side wheel and arch lining then it's easier to access from underneath. I separated the DP from the decat so there was no force on it at the turbo. I then loosened the other 2 bolts to get the missing one in straight, the put all back together.

The rear bolt is the hardest to access where it is due to the way the DP bends back on itself. at present the bolt in there has a head that takes an 8mm hex socket which wont fit in the gap. Had to rush to Halfords to get some allen keys with the ball ends to access tight places ;)
all accessed from underneath?
how come the stuff from the top was removed then? i had all that off from the top the other day but couldnt really get to the nuts.

btw mine has studs and nuts already as opposed to bolts. im getting new ones anyway though with the part no you gave me.

Your forgetting to mention the im on top your underneath reach around. ;-)

i guess westy has been watching the master do it for so long... its about time he showed you his true potential

glad its all sorted now mate... Now back to the exhaust shopping!!

**** that for a game of soldiers! all of mine are really easy to reach from underneath with simple tools :s can literally have the downpipe off in 10-15 minutes :s

Silly 4wd crap !

Fair play to you though westicles (and you Tam!), you get the job done.

**** that for a game of soldiers! all of mine are really easy to reach from underneath with simple tools :s can literally have the downpipe off in 10-15 minutes :s

Silly 4wd crap !

Fair play to you though westicles (and you Tam!), you get the job done.

Cheers dude. Between the 2 of us I don't think there's a job we've not done now on the S3. Practice makes perfect.

I can see us struggling to get nuts on over studs when I get them. I've no idea what I'll do about the top restricted one where there's no clearance for a nut :think:

Been out for a drive tonight and the car feels ****** good again now the DP is tight. Also managed to find a 2nd hand Milltek cat back system on eBay which i've bought. Big thanks to Dre, who seems to be the Milltek bargain finder. He PM'd me earlier notifying me of it. I owe you one pal :thumbsup:

Been out for a drive tonight and the car feels ****** good again now the DP is tight. Also managed to find a 2nd hand Milltek cat back system on eBay which i've bought. Big thanks to Dre, who seems to be the Milltek bargain finder. He PM'd me earlier notifying me of it. I owe you one pal :thumbsup:

Nice one mate! Seems its who you know that helps... my search continues lol
Get it fitted asap mate

Cool mate glad I could help :)
i am abit of a eBay who*e lol

Nice one mate ;)

Well, the DP hasn't even lasted a week (about 150 miles)! I can hear it blowing again and it sounds like it did before over 4K revs so I'm sure the rear bolt has dropped out again :banghead:

I've got the studs now but need to grab another gasket really as the current one might be damaged from all blowing! I really hope the studs will sort this out.

I've got the studs now but need to grab another gasket really as the current one might be damaged from all blowing! I really hope the studs will sort this out.

Did you not change the gasket when you 'fixed' it last week mate?

Still go no idea how I'm going to get a stud and nut to fit past the mani :think:

89e114c1.jpg

07af0512.jpg

24282603.jpg

Humm... looks like a classic case of relentless build consistency there... had to adjust a downpipe the other week but it managed to slip over the stud once done... had to reshape the flange so it would go over ok... maybe the flange isn't flat on yours? could explain why it keeps going..

<tuffty/>

Humm... looks like a classic case of relentless build consistency there... had to adjust a downpipe the other week but it managed to slip over the stud once done... had to reshape the flange so it would go over ok... maybe the flange isn't flat on yours? could explain why it keeps going..

<tuffty/>

DP has been fitted for almost a year without any issues mate. The recent problems have only started since we did the engine rebuild then had to use awful bolts instead of studs as I forgot to order the studs. I'm sure the DP flange is fine it just needs the studs and proper nuts to hold it in.

I'm sure that the DP will also go over the stud, i'm just not sure the nut will be able to clear the runner to wind it on :( need a little dent in the runner if possible but probably wont be able to do this with it in situ. Might have to use the studs and nuts on the bottom and rear fixings and leave the botl in the top fixing for the time being.

Booo... gotta love cars :)

Glad mines not a daily anymore...

<tuffty/>

I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap diesel to use as a daily as I really want to get the S3 stripped and used as a weekend/track car. Moving house on Friday and the place has a double garage for all my tools and the S3 to live in, just need to justify being able to run a 2nd car.

Insurance is up in June so I'll be doing some shopping about and see if we can afford to run another car.

Westy, would you be able to have a sleeve made to bring the nut on the stud out so it clears the runner?
You might need a longer stud too.

This is a thought I'd had. I dont think the OEM stud will be long enough but I will be taking some measurements when I'm fitting the other 2 studs this week. As it's the top fixing its the easiest to reach so should be able to do that one from the top if I get a sleeved nut made.