What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
fingers crossed they are ok

Pat

I hope so mate. To be far, most people I've spoken to who've had their rods changed have said they didn't do the rings so I'm hoping they'll be fine. On the flip side, I dont want to be taking this apart again so I might do them anyway.

I'll have a lot of parts to sell once the new stuff goes on so I'm sure that can cover the cost of all the rings.

I hope so mate. To be far, most people I've spoken to who've had their rods changed have said they didn't do the rings so I'm hoping they'll be fine. On the flip side, I dont want to be taking this apart again so I might do them anyway.

I'll have a lot of parts to sell once the new stuff goes on so I'm sure that can cover the cost of all the rings.

Great minds think alike!
Do it properly & do it once I say.

Pat

Haha, I knew i'd get abused about that. I'm getting a new coolant bottle and the R8 cap to try and tidy up the bay a bit. I've sourced a spare cam cover so that I can get it sprayed up glossy enamel red ready to go on the nice clean shiney rebuilt head ;)

Fair one. I find it mad that an r8 cap would even fit. A customer of mine will be buying an r8 soon, so i may swap my cap with his, see if he notices :ninja:

Obviously if i get an R8 V10 cap, mine will be faster

Cant wait to see this when done mate.

Also have you got the part number for the turbo to downpipe gasket? Phone 2 stealers up today and they didn't have a ****** clue what i was talking about, thick as sometimes.

Cant wait to see this when done mate.

Also have you got the part number for the turbo to downpipe gasket? Phone 2 stealers up today and they didn't have a ****** clue what i was talking about, thick as sometimes.

I'm not sure mate as my parts guy knows what he's doing ;)

I'm sure he'll be along soon and he'll be able to comment.

This any help Dani?

I wasn't planning on doing the rings in mine until i got cylinder 2 piston out and found the end broken off compression ring 2.

This any help Dani?

I wasn't planning on doing the rings in mine until i got cylinder 2 piston out and found the end broken off compression ring 2.

This is something I'm weary about. I may end up purchasing rings closer to the date anyway.

I'm trying to assemble a team of mechanics to help me including Welly, Stacey, and my late night mechanic partner Tam. All 3 of them have done engine work before so I'll keep them sweet with curry and beer (not too much beer) and see how they fancy doing the piston rings too :eyebrows:

This any help Dani?

You my friend are owed a beer, also where did you get your ETKA from? I really need to invest in a copy.

Mate id do them just for piece of mind, least then you know their done and you dont have to worry about them.

Just thought of one thing presuming your porting your phenolic into a transition gasket you will need 2 inlet Mani gaskets one largeport and one small, if you need a dremel I should be able to get hold of one to brung with me ;)

Also when I checked the dates didn't realise it's my bros b day on the 8th but he usually does his own thing anyway so shouldn't matter just might arrive a wee tad later as will have visiting duties to forfill ;-)

Just thought of one thing presuming your porting your phenolic into a transition gasket you will need 2 inlet Mani gaskets one largeport and one small, if you need a dremel I should be able to get hold of one to brung with me ;)

Also when I checked the dates didn't realise it's my bros b day on the 8th but he usually does his own thing anyway so shouldn't matter just might arrive a wee tad later as will have visiting duties to forfill ;-)

I did plan on porting it to a transition phenolic yes mate. I've ordered a large port gasket but I forgot the small port one. I'll get that ordered.

I already have a dremel with a load of cutting discs and a few sanding tools too so should be ok. If not it's nothing major and can be picked up another time.

No worries about your bros birthday. We can always move the dates about anyway mate if we need to. Let me know.

Nope. Idled fine and performance seemed unaffected. Gave my 20TQ a good go on the way back from fetching it. I will see if I can dig out a pic if westy doesn't mind.

Westy

Appreciate you probably want to go main dealer parts. But GSF sell very good Piston rings at £11 and bore/set. I've used them quite a few times and never had problem with one set I know still going strong on a Hybdrid Agu £40k later.. I think for £44 it's worth doing.

Just a thought..

Westy

Appreciate you probably want to go main dealer parts. But GSF sell very good Piston rings at £11 and bore/set. I've used them quite a few times and never had problem with one set I know still going strong on a Hybdrid Agu £40k later.. I think for £44 it's worth doing.

Just a thought..

That does sound like a sensible thing to do. I'll check the price I can get from VW and if it is extortionate I'll get some from GSF.

Rather that than £118 for a set at asmuch discount as i can squeeze lol.

Special order at Euro`s. Wouldnt want to risk ordering and they come in wrong especially as they cant work off my numbers on this particular part and i dont trust them to look it up themselves lol.

VAG piston rings are expensive sadly... mine were very worn!!
CameraZOOM-20111220102737360.jpg

<tuffty/>

Paul, didn't you only notice wear since to recently took the head off? They weren't that bad the first time you replaced the rods were they?

I was wondering if the additional wear came from using non rifle drilled rods and there being a lack of oil under the piston?

Paul, didn't you only notice wear since to recently took the head off? They weren't that bad the first time you replaced the rods were they?

I was wondering if the additional wear came from using non rifle drilled rods and there being a lack of oil under the piston?

Only noticed the wear this time around... I reckon it was while I was running rich all the time from the egt probe being in the wrong place for the temperature limit of the map at the time... bore wash causing accelerated wear...

<tuffty/>

I hope that's not the case as I've seen requested fueling as low as 0.68 in vcds the lamda only seems to go to 0.75

Your making we worry now :(

I hope that's not the case as I've seen requested fueling as low as 0.68 in vcds the lamda only seems to go to 0.75

Your making we worry now :(

Yeah and your motor is the juiciest thing I've ever seen!

Did you work out the calculations from the VCDS log we did? We could plot a graph like Funky_Junky did and see what the AFR is doing?

Brand new AEM check valve arrived in the post today. Fitted it up and it doesn't leak :yahoo: but......... I now have my original issue that I was seeing on Bills rollers where the pump is pulling too much power and tripping into safe mode! I have posted up on the AEM forum to seek an answer.

I took a trip out tonight to collect the S3 back box I won on eBay. It was a 2 hour round trip. The guy I bought the exhaust from was a nice bloke, had a noggy blue S3 that looked to be in nice shape. Started talking to him and OMG! He says he's running 27psi off a stage 2 shark performance map pushing 280bhp with standard internals, intercoolers, TIP, pretty much every thing but a 3" DP to backbox system!! He was also talking about 4bar FPRs so I thought it was time to leave before his car exploded on the driveway!

I gave the car a bit of a caning on the way home and now my clutch has started to slip! ***, more money to shell out. I've now dropped my timing and boost settings on my revo map down 1 each to try and save it for a bit longer till I have the cash to get a new one :(

Not muck look then westy, i hope the pumps are not dodgy too....:(

No, it's very annoying. The problem didn't occur when I made the journey to Bill's when I had both boost dials on the controller set to max and I was running the medium sized nozzle. The problem only appeared when we were configuring the controller and moved to the smaller nozzle.

I'm going to disconnect the nozzle again and test different boost settings to see if that sorts it. Could be a dodgy controller.

....Started talking to him and OMG! He says he's running 27psi off a stage 2 shark performance map pushing 280bhp with standard internals, intercoolers, TIP, pretty much every thing but a 3" DP to backbox system!! He was also talking about 4bar FPRs so I thought it was time to leave before his car exploded on the driveway!...

Obviously not an ASN member then else he would have been put straight :)

27psi!!! jeez... might have got 280hp once on a dyno but on that setup I can't see it lasting long... 4bar FPR... brilliant!

<tuffty/>

Obviously not an ASN member then else he would have been put straight :)

27psi!!! jeez... might have got 280hp once on a dyno but on that setup I can't see it lasting long... 4bar FPR... brilliant!

<tuffty/>

My thoughts exactly mate. I asked him if he'd been on ASN and he said he doesn't use the forums. It was too cold for me to stand there and start telling him the rights and wrongs of his ways.

As soon as Tam and I got back in my car to leave I said to him "that guys car is going to go bang very soon".

My thoughts exactly mate. I asked him if he'd been on ASN and he said he doesn't use the forums. It was too cold for me to stand there and start telling him the rights and wrongs of his ways.

As soon as Tam and I got back in my car to leave I said to him "that guys car is going to go bang very soon".

Have to wonder where he is getting his info from don't you... someone must be telling the guy this is ok...

<tuffty/>

Have to wonder where he is getting his info from don't you... someone must be telling the guy this is ok...

<tuffty/>

He has a background in fast Vauxhalls, using Calibra Turbo engines in corsas and Novas so he's a bit new to the Audi side of things. He knew about the rods being weak but that was the limit of his knowledge.

I did suggest to him that he had a look over here on ASN as we are a nice bunch and have a load of knowledge on these old cars now ;)

With every day that goes by it just seems like WMI is more hassle than it's worth!

Sorry you're having so many issues buddy :(

With every day that goes by it just seems like WMI is more hassle than it's worth!

Sorry you're having so many issues buddy :(

You're not wrong there. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to get any real gain from using WMI anyway with my build and am strongly considering returning the kit (if I can) or selling it on at a loss!