W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
Should be ok mate... if they are doing that amount of work I am sure they will let you know if there is an issue with the parts...

Was the AEB head from a running engine or left to sit a while? I would still use your BAM followers for now and use the cams, VVT and timing chain... get a new tensioner gasket set (comes with the half moon seal) and replace the cam seals as they will be more like Bakelite than rubber...

You need to use the multi windowed cam pos trigger wheel on your BAM as AEB's come with single windowed ones so easier to reuse your cams and at least you know they are right for the car... there are subtle differences between cam sets but I have never managed to find anything definitive as yet to explain what...

<tuffty/>

eBay seller said that the head was off a perfectly fine running Pissrat so I've only got his word!

I'm ordering all new gaskets and nuts and bolts from Jason.s at VW, I'll get the full list up in a minute to check if you guys think i've missed anything.

Are cam seals something I should ask the head place to do or can I do when it comes to installation? Also, please explain what the multi windowed cam pos trigger wheel is as this is all uncharted territory to me :)

Thanks Guys.

Here's the current list of bits to order:

- Headgasket
- headbolts
- chain tensioner gaskets
- cam cover gasket
- sump sealant
- sump plug
- exhaust manifold gasket
- inlet manifold gasket
- turbo studs
- exh mani studs and nuts
- water pump
- cambelt kit
- cambelt damper tensioner
- coolant tank
- R8 cap
- oil pump
- turbo to downpipe gasket

Anyone think of any additions?

Here's the current list of bits to order:

- Headgasket
- headbolts
- cam cover gasket
- sump sealant
- sump plug
- exhaust manifold gasket
- inlet manifold gasket
- turbo studs
- water pump
- cambelt kit
- coolant tank
- R8 cap
- oil pump

Anyone think of any additions?
Wine (If you want Welly there)
Beer
Crisps
Lots of Chocolate
Indian Takeaway

I only had a quick look at it before putting it back in its box. I dont think it was oxidisation, though it looks like it. I think it was like a heat related mark because this mani has been used before.

It will be very light surface rust mate, mine has it too, and it's brand new.

The quality of the stainless used isn't of the absolute highest, especially on the flange, so you do get a bit of oxidation, although nothing to worry about at all. The runners on mine were shiney and clean just like yours, just a light brown in places on the flange.

Can't believe that's been used before though, how come it hasn't gone brown like Wellys did in no time?

eBay seller said that the head was off a perfectly fine running Pissrat so I've only got his word!

I'm ordering all new gaskets and nuts and bolts from Jason.s at VW, I'll get the full list up in a minute to check if you guys think i've missed anything.

Are cam seals something I should ask the head place to do or can I do when it comes to installation? Also, please explain what the multi windowed cam pos trigger wheel is as this is all uncharted territory to me :)

Thanks Guys.

no point in changing the cam seals on the cams you have in the AEB head... they need to be changed on your BAM ones... tbh I have cheated in the past and just used vag sump sealant but if you do them then you need to unbolt the cam pulley from the exhaust cam and the cam pos trigger wheel from the inlet cam to get the seals swapped... I did a set a while back and had to hold them in a vice (wrapped in copious amounts of cardboard to prevent damaging them)

This may be useful as a quick read..
VWVortex.com - First Start Woes: Cams?

BAM ECU requires a multi window trigger for working out if VVT is in use and more effective ignition timing etc... earlier ECUs only needed a single window trigger..

<tuffty/>

It will be very light surface rust mate, mine has it too, and it's brand new.

The quality of the stainless used isn't of the absolute highest, especially on the flange, so you do get a bit of oxidation, although nothing to worry about at all. The runners on mine were shiney and clean just like yours, just a light brown in places on the flange.

Can't believe that's been used before though, how come it hasn't gone brown like Wellys did in no time?

I need to find out if it's been used! I assumed this one had but I may be wrong :think:

Just buy a head set, will come with everything you need for the top end, inncluding stem seals, cam seals, tensioner gasket, manifold gaskets, seals for the various water housings etc etc.

I got mine from Jason at All German Parts.

Just buy a head set, will come with everything you need for the top end, inncluding stem seals, cam seals, tensioner gasket, manifold gaskets, seals for the various water housings etc etc.

I got mine from Jason at All German Parts.

+1. Also when fitting the new camshaft seals apply a small amount of grease to the inside of the seal (where the seal sits on the camshaft), will help it go over the cam easier and prevents it from running dry until some oil can get at it.

I'd have the head pressure tested while it's at the headshop

+1. Also when fitting the new camshaft seals apply a small amount of grease to the inside of the seal (where the seal sits on the camshaft), will help it go over the cam easier and prevents it from running dry until some oil can get at it.

I'd have the head pressure tested while it's at the headshop

Cheers Lewis. I have asked the head place to do a pressure test, I missed it off the list above, i'll edit it now ;)

Headset would be nice but you cant buy them from main dealers. No such thing, all seperate parts.

Stem seals x20
Cam cover gasket
Headgasket
Headbolts x 10
manifold gasket
AEB inlet manifold gasket
Chain tensioner gasket
Cam seals x2

To you at £166.32 inc vat.

Obviously the only things you dont already have on the parts list i have are the stem seals and the cam seals. Also not in that above list are the turbo gaskets and bolts as you`re already having those in the other list and wouldnt be including in a head kit anyway.

Stem seals x20
Cam cover gasket
Headgasket
Headbolts x 10
manifold gasket
AEB inlet manifold gasket
Chain tensioner gasket
Cam seals x2

To you at £166.32 inc vat.

Obviously the only things you dont already have on the parts list i have are the stem seals and the cam seals. Also not in that above list are the turbo gaskets and bolts as you`re already having those in the other list and wouldnt be including in a head kit anyway.

Thanks mate, it's getting very confusing now :banghead:

Could you just add stem seals and cam seals to my existing list please and I'll take the stem seals to the head shop with me so they shouldn't charge me for them.

Thanks for all your help too.

haha too many parts to keep track of? Started off so easy didnt it and then the days go by and Pm`s come in left right and center adding to the list :p

Will do :)

Why on earth would you ever buy a headset, or any other engine components from a main dealers ***. Its a 10year old car. As i've said before, Audi dont make gaskets, seals, bearings, pumps etc. They simply have them made by a third party, and those third partys almost always resell the same parts in the aftermarket. Buy quality aftermarket parts and you wont have a problem, you'll just save yourself a lot of cash.

I'll give you an example. When i rebuilt my engine i replaced the cam chain. The replacement was supplied by Jason at All German, came supplied in a Febi box, and was about half the price of the main dealer item. On comparing the two, they were IDENTICAL. Same part, same manufacturer, same stampings, half the price. Timing belt kits are another example, you could even see where they've machined the Audi part numbers off the alloy castings on the tensioner on the Contitech kit i baught, and it was a good bit cheaper than main dealer prices.

The ONLY time i go to a main dealer for a part, is if its not available elsewhere. The only exception to that i've ever made is the coolant temp sensor, and only because folk seemed to have problems with the aftermarket ones. Ofcourse, if you have money to waste then carry on!

He comes to me because i do everything at staff rate and on all these bits the average is about 30% discounts with some ranging up to 50.Its also easier for him to simply PM me and i sort it than phone up different companies. He doesnt have to wait for or pay for postage either.

He comes to me because i do everything at staff rate and on all these bits the average is about 30% discounts with some ranging up to 50.Its also easier for him to simply PM me and i sort it than phone up different companies. He doesnt have to wait for or pay for postage either.

Exactly.

I have also had issues in the past with non genuine parts including wheel speed sensors, coil packs, and 2 heater matrix's that left my car stripped and on the driveway for 2 weeks!

I'd rather pay a little bit extra, collect everything from 1 place, from a person I trust, can contact at any time, and I know all the parts fill fit hassle free as they are genuine VAG.

With regards no reason to buy genuine parts as after market parts are the same...
I used to work for LUK and the clutchs they made can be bought from VW. GSF Halford... Companys that apear on ebay only...
They are not 100% the same, The quality control used to have diffrent tolarence bands... Best went th the dealers. Second best Halfords ( or another major company) and the band 3 products... any of the others.

Alright mate sorry for not replying had a hectic afternoon if you want any other run of the mill nuts or bolts just let me know ;)

My car decided to humer me with the fuel economy problem, on the way home had already hit 3/4 tank and then next time I looked said it was full... Another pita thing to add to the list, but on a plus side this brand new 8p s3 couldn't work out after being behind him for ages cruising at rather high speeds that he got passed by a tatty 8l at 155+ :) ;) lol.... On a private road of coarse ;)

Oh yeah and a new record for egts 995 ooops

Oh and forgot to say that winning noise never reapeared so I have cone to the conclusion that either you guys probably put a few pounds on over crimbo and was heavier than expected or it was that high speed logging sesh ;)

Haha nice one mate. I never bump into any other fast cars when I'm out in my car :(

I said to you I thought maybe that whining noise was the tyre wall catching somewhere. Probably caused by having Tam in the back! Don't give a load of heffers a left anywhere will you?

Some good progress on here westy. Where are the pics?

Loads of pics to come. Rods are being planned for 7th - 14th of April. The dates have been set :yahoo:

Thats good westy. Lots of lnm sessions. Dont let welly near the wine till the work s done.

Just won a standard S3 cat back exhaust for £19.99 ;)

Going to cut up the backbox like Karl did and I'll also have some spare exhaust trim. I'd like to look at getting some 3" exhaust pipe welded in so it'll end up being a cheap performance exhaust. I think it's worth a go anyway as I don't want to splash out on a miltek just yet.

You didn't hang about mate only talked about it thursday

Time to change the sig again already ;)

I'm not messing about boss ;)

If things appear forthe right price on eBay I'll snap them up. I needed that tail pipe anyway so getting full cat back for £20 is a bargain and ill get a spare tail pipe and a backbox to cut up.

Last edited:
Ordered all this today for my engine build:

- Headgasket
- headbolts
- cam cover gasket
- sump sealant
- sump plug
- inlet manifold gasket
- turbo studs
- exh mani gasket
- water pump
- cambelt kit
- coolant tank
- R8 cap
- oil pump
- Valve seals x20
- Cam seal x2
- 5L Oil
- G12 Coolant x2
- Cam cover studs x9
- Cam cover nuts x9

Nice list, but are you not changing your rods?

Pat

Of course I am my friend ;)

Going to be ordering IE Rifle drilled rods and Sputter big end shells from Backdraft motorsports next month.

Dropping AEB head off on 28th January with all the studs and seals from the above list so the head will be ready then planning to fit everything, including XS Power mani at the Easter weekend. Will then be able to play with the timing and see if 300bhp from a standard K04 is possible.

I'm saving for a new clutch already :whistle2:

Do you require an r8 oil cap to be able to reach 300bhp? Fair play if you do, will it make any difference to mine?

Haha, I knew i'd get abused about that. I'm getting a new coolant bottle and the R8 cap to try and tidy up the bay a bit. I've sourced a spare cam cover so that I can get it sprayed up glossy enamel red ready to go on the nice clean shiney rebuilt head ;)

Of course I am my friend ;)

Going to be ordering IE Rifle drilled rods and Sputter big end shells from Backdraft motorsports next month.

Dropping AEB head off on 28th January with all the studs and seals from the above list so the head will be ready then planning to fit everything, including XS Power mani at the Easter weekend. Will then be able to play with the timing and see if 300bhp from a standard K04 is possible.

I'm saving for a new clutch already :whistle2:

I didn't see big ends on the list that all dude, also I'd think about piston rings as its all apart.
I'm really looking forward to the outcome of this!

I've got all the engine rebuild kit, just sorting out the...... ;)

Pat

I didn't see big ends on the list that all dude, also I'd think about piston rings as its all apart.
I'm really looking forward to the outcome of this!

I've got all the engine rebuild kit, just sorting out the...... ;)

Pat

I think I mention rods and shells further up in this thread but that list a few posts up is just the stuff I ordered today.

At the moment i'm not worried about piston rings till i've seen them. They are around £40 a bore and at that price i'd rather see what they're like first. If they need doing then I'll be able to get them next day and get them fitted and gapped.

Sorry I was just looking at your list, fingers crossed they are ok

Pat