W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
It seems Awesome are the cheapest for the 22mm Neuspeed bar but i cant see that it is adjustable?. Europerformance list a whiteline 3 point adjustable for £177

No worries, say the word so i`ll do the usual and get it ready for next time you`re at the gf`s.

evening fred.
im happy with my rear R32 bar on its own at the min. thats even with standard shocks, i can imagine it will improve 3 fold when i have coilovers.
if you intend on tracking it so much though you might out grow the 19mm r32 one. i mean its stiffer and certainly feels balanced with a tiny bit of drift action, but your car looks like it rolls a fair bit, the suspension is obv very comfy compared to harder coilover setups, so a 19mm i dont think will do much in reducing roll, improve balance and handling yes, but if you want to reduce roll id go thicker still if i were you, both front and rear, id just keep the difference between the two very small.
that opinion is based on you doing loads of trackdays, which you seem pretty keen to do.

i suppose though, the r32 isnt exactly an expensive or difficult step to try.

do you have poly bushed arbs already?

Don't make me change my mind again :(

I suppose If I get tue R32 and want to go bigger I'll have no problems selling it on.

I've struggled to find any 19mm poly bushes for the rear ARB. Powerflex only seem do do the front ones. What have you got?

got these blad: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Bargain of the century or what!!

yeh it'l be easy to change out if its not enough for you. but 5mm thicker is quite a fair difference over stock. and poly bushes help too.

Good lad. I was just reading you thread and saw you had ebay jobbies.

Also in your thread you mention your dad can get Renault Megane headlight clips. can he still get them as I need one for my passenger side?

yep still got some. i've sent them out to 2 people now with no feedback.
i cant remember where i left them, hmmmm.....
il deffo send you one

You're a legend mate. I've always had the problem on my car and when I fitted mt FMIC I removed my passenger light to try and fix it. The clip hadn't broken but the adjuster motor arm had popped out of it. I then broke the ****** trying to push it back in.

I'm guessing that the headlight now needs to be opened to fix it?

I'll PM you my address if you wouldn't mind sending one over.

Lovely car, and really interesting thread.

I really miss my old Leon Cupra R's and never owned an 8L S3 so I can only imagine how much nicer they must have been given how good the R was.

Best of luck with choosing the ARB's, my choice sounds a lot easier and cheaper for 8P, supposedly a VW Touran one is an 'upgrade'(!).

Cheers

W

Lovely car, and really interesting thread.

I really miss my old Leon Cupra R's and never owned an 8L S3 so I can only imagine how much nicer they must have been given how good the R was.

Best of luck with choosing the ARB's, my choice sounds a lot easier and cheaper for 8P, supposedly a VW Touran one is an 'upgrade'(!).

Cheers

W

Thanks Warren,

I think it would be a shame for you to start messing about with your brand new motor. Why dont you pick up a cheap 8L S3 as a track/project car and join us :eyebrows:

As much as I'd love to mate, time, money and the inspiration to run a second car have all but evaporated. The S3 takes up more time and money than I'd like (cleaning, emptying catch cans, trips to tuning houses, changing spark plugs every 6k, road trips etc.), and until I have a bigger house with a bigger driveway and somewhere to store the second car under cover my fear is it would just sit there consuming money at the moment!

I tend to use the daily to cover off basic track days that we go to at Combe, Ring or wherever and only really driver her at 7/10 to ensure we can use her for work on the Monday.

With cost of motoring spiralling as the motorist gets milked like a tit it's meant that to keep the car overserviced, insured, taxed, fulled and paid for over the year is costing me in excess of £13k a year to do average mileage (including depreciation). Believe me I've looked into it hard, but the sums just don't add up at the moment (also the wife likes holidays and given what I spend on 8P I don't see any room for negotiation there either!).

So then westy, what are the plans for S3 300

Sounds like a manageable and reliable power figure.

It's just S300 dude ;)

I have acquired an AEB large port head and an XS Power Exhaust mani. I will then fit forged rods and WMI, larger injectors, then get a custom Badger 5 MAP. Hopefully the K04 will be capable of flowing 300bhp

Not sure I agree with either if those points, I'm behind Westy every step of the way dont get me wrong, but it'll be hard to reach an actual 300 brake and even then the k04 is going to be maxxxxxed out.

Not sure I agree with either if those points, I'm behind Westy every step of the way dont get me wrong, but it'll be hard to reach an actual 300 brake and even then the k04 is going to be maxxxxxed out.

I know it too bud. I just want to see what it's real limits are as there's a lot of guessing going on and it would be nice to know. It would be rude not to as I have a brand new K04 on at the moment ;)

absolutely mate! exhaust mani should help so much!

I triedto get to 300 with LCR and didn't get there, but my mods weren't as elaborate as yours! I got into the late 270's with:

Revo Stg 2
Milltek TBE
Forge FMIC
Debaffled custom charge pipe
Uprated TIP
Forge 007P
Forge silicone hoses
SEAT Sport Cupra Championship intake duct
Dynatwist CAI with twin air feed 100mm ducting

Never got round to doing manifolds, phnolic gaskets etc. That was back in 2005 so the world has moved on a bit since then.

Has anyone got a K04 on a 1.8T to 300bhp yet with the S3 8L?

Last edited:
Nobody with an S3 has warren but apparently theres a few lads over on SCN who have but the mods they have are similar to yours so I suggest happy dyno is the cause.

Stacey, dig out that invoice my friend :friends:

It's just S300 dude ;)

I have acquired an AEB large port head and an XS Power Exhaust mani. I will then fit forged rods and WMI, larger injectors, then get a custom Badger 5 MAP. Hopefully the K04 will be capable of flowing 300bhp

haaha I remember standing on your driveway and listening to how happy you were with just remap

Grabs pop corn and cheers for success :)

On the other hand, as much as I want to sell the S3 , like a crackhead I can't give it up

Stacey, is your S3 on the road? we need to catch up in Maldon

Last edited:
R32 rear ARB with FloFlex poly bushes here. All good, although my car developed a squeaking noise over speedbumps ever since - does need a replacement drop link though so can't be sure what's causing the squeak.

Anyone else with FloFlex rear ARB bushes noticed a squeak over speed bumps?

R32 rear ARB with FloFlex poly bushes here. All good, although my car developed a squeaking noise over speedbumps ever since - does need a replacement drop link though so can't be sure what's causing the squeak.

Anyone else with FloFlex rear ARB bushes noticed a squeak over speed bumps?
No but i give mine a good dousing in white grease before fitting, seen it was up out of the way behind the heat guard.

The company was called circuit supply's if I remember correctly cause I originally rang ferrodo directly and they refered me to them saying that they deal with all their performance pads, this was when I was having trouble trying to find a pad for my Calipers

Finesse hopefully will have the car back in my possession within the next week as it is currently many miles away getting some tender loving care from bill

Will probably start a thread when it's all running ok and we will have to meet and maybe Westy will join as he's gotta collect some bits as when I pick mine up the boot will be full of goodies for Westy 

Oh and forgot to say will dig out the invoice tommorrow when home from work and will text you price, no etc and hopefully the bloke I dealt withs name is on the invoice as he gave a nice discount 

After going in my mates Fabia VRS last night with 312s front and 256 vented on standard discs and pads...losing weight is the best answer!!

F**k me that thing stops insanely well considering its basic OEM stuff, i couldnt believe it when he said it was just standard stuff and that even on the ring and Combe he`d never needed anything more and he`s never faded them. Being in his car he`s no slouch either, probably some of the latest braking i`ve ever seen driving around mk! Probably helps that its one of the best handling cars i`ve ever been in but im still shocked as to how good they are!

it's all about getting the weight down!

the braking in mine is so savage that I've had sore/bruised shoulders from the harness straps before!

323mm 4 pot brembos with proper Race pads, and 256mm S3 rears on a car that weighs under 1100kg means that out-braking Porsches on track is a reality!

Yeah man weight shaving is clearly massively overlooked. Ok people still want a comfortable daily but any weight reduction that can be done without sacrificing too much comfort then do it!!

Exactly why i`ll be stripping the A4 this weekend possibly!

At the moment I'm trying to get some S4 17" avus like my S3 but in 5x112 PCD instead of 5x110. This will make changing the wheels over so much easier when I go on track as I wont have to remove the PCD adapters.

Anyway I want to refurb them in either red or green when I get them so what do you think?

Red:

c2e15b96.jpg

Or green:

200035ff.jpg