W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
I never understood why people do that. Do they do one of the M25? That'd be pretty sick.

It's to show what tracks my car has survived.

I dont want one of these though:

1325580_orig.jpg

Combe it too similar to Bedford in the way its a fast open track. granted its good for track novices as theres ****** all to hit lol but something a bit more challenging would be good. I take it thats what you`re getting at?

Why wont they insure you at combe?

Need one of theses. Hell If I was able to go on the track I'd slap one of them on Audrey.
sticker.jpg

What track is that?

The reason my insurance company refuse to insure on Coombe is because something like 75% of all crashes on UK circuits happen on that nasty bend at Coombe leading onto the home straight!

Castle combe is known as Crashtle Combe, they reckon 75% of all motorsport incidents occur at Quarry corner, it's THAT bad.

it's also very flat, and not hugely challenging. I want to explore and do more days, but it's the nearest / cheapest way I can get on track regularly, hence why I've been there 4 times this year! haha.

Bedford looks good westy, from that layout, is it the 4 mile GT track you were on?

Castle combe is known as Crashtle Combe, they reckon 75% of all motorsport incidents occur at Quarry corner, it's THAT bad.

it's also very flat, and not hugely challenging. I want to explore and do more days, but it's the nearest / cheapest way I can get on track regularly, hence why I've been there 4 times this year! haha.

Bedford looks good westy, from that layout, is it the 4 mile GT track you were on?

Yes mate 4 mile Gran Tourismo course. Even with 80 cars there on the day it was never very busy. It gives you great confidence having so much open space too, at no point did I feel nervous. Whenever I go to the Ring it's so much more of a buz, I get nervous and sometimes get the old shakey clutch leg from the adrenalin :racer:

Let me know whenever you book up a track day next year mate as I'd be up for tagging along if you dont mind?

I know exactly what you mean, Doing Combe a few weeks after the Ring it felt so boring, wide open spaces, no danger, less thrill.

We're doing Rockingham with circuit days on march 20th if you're interested?

I know exactly what you mean, Doing Combe a few weeks after the Ring it felt so boring, wide open spaces, no danger, less thrill.

We're doing Rockingham with circuit days on march 20th if you're interested?

Have you got a link mate? Rockingham is only 50 mins from Helen's house so that would be easy to get to for me ;)

yea, I do :p I was thinking of the donnington day on teh 20th of this month, hence the 20th in my head!

17th of march at Rockingham :)

Ok, I've just started to trawl (and i really mean trawl) through eleventeen gazillion threads and info on ARBs! I think it's time I upgraded these buggers.

Has anyone had any experience with multiple different ARB setups on an S3 as there seems to be a lot of products out there and some are a hell of a lot thicker than others?

Ok, I've just started to trawl (and i really mean trawl) through eleventeen gazillion threads and info on ARBs! I think it's time I upgraded these buggers.

Has anyone had any experience with multiple different ARB setups on an S3 as there seems to be a lot of products out there and some are a hell of a lot thicker than others?

Why not create a thread, everyone else does..

Ok, standard S3 ARBs are 19mm front and 15mm rear. A difference of 4mm between them. If I just stick on a 19mm R32 rear, I will have 19mm front and 19mm rear. No difference. Most kits that are sold by tuning companies have some difference between the bars.

If I go for just the bar above Jason there will be a difference of 7mm between front and back, would this get scary :sadlike:

I've found the H&R kit above even cheaper here:

H&R Audi S3 8L Quattro Stabilizer-Set FA + RA Audi Tuning, BMW Tuning, VW Tuning, Opel Tuning, Mercedes Tuning, Mini Tuninghis has a difference of 4mm (like standard) but a 6mm upgrade on the front and a 6mm upgrade on the rear. Now I'm worried that by keeping the same difference but just effectively stiffening the bars that I will just get a stiffer under steering car :think:

Perhaps the 19/19 setup is the way forward but I dont want the front to still be boating about! ****** confusing myself now :)

Prawn has a huge gap on his and it gets a bit lairy at the back from lifting off. Thats almost a 10mm difference though.

I`d try the Neuspeed 22mm rear, if it proves to be tail happy then you could get the 20mm or 21mm front from me which with the bushes would only be about £67 inc vat to you.

Read ess3 thread it was pretty well discribed on there what the effects of bigger rear and front bars do

Prawn has a huge gap on his and it gets a bit lairy at the back from lifting off. Thats almost a 10mm difference though.

I`d try the Neuspeed 22mm rear, if it proves to be tail happy then you could get the 20mm or 21mm front from me which with the bushes would only be about £67 inc vat to you.

What 20mm/21mm bar would that be? The R32?

What 20mm/21mm bar would that be? The R32?

Well the 20mm is listed against S3/A3 quattro so must be optional. R32 has 23mm bar. Clicking on one of the 21mm bars also listed for the R32 it for the Golf and the TT. Seems to be about £20 more than the 20mm bar thats listed on the S3/A3.

I'd go R32 first mate, then see how that feels, as you dont want to go too big at the back, as we have seen your attempts at saving a car when the back is going loose :lmfao: then you can always stick a slightly bigger front arb if it is still a bit 'boaty' as you say. Damo said he thought Karls car handled really well at ADI, and he had the OEM front and R32 rarb.

just man up and get a big rear bar Westy! most are adjustable anyway, so you can tailor them to suit.equal size front and rear sounds to me like a winner for the S3, karls 19/19 looks to be successful.

If it were me, I think I'd get a 22mm neuspeed rear, then an R32 23mm front, sounds like an ideal mix of costly after market and cheaper OEM whilst giving you perfect sizes.

What kind of driving style do you have/want? the neuspeed setup that Ess3 went with provided a very neutral setup. From what I understand prawn likes his A3 to be setup to provide oversteer. Would you be happy with a car thats more likely to oversteer as I'd assume increasing the rear ARB and not the front would push the balance of the car this way?

just man up and get a big rear bar Westy! most are adjustable anyway, so you can tailor them to suit.equal size front and rear sounds to me like a winner for the S3, karls 19/19 looks to be successful.

If it were me, I think I'd get a 22mm neuspeed rear, then an R32 23mm front, sounds like an ideal mix of costly after market and cheaper OEM whilst giving you perfect sizes.

At the moment I think the 19mm R32 is winning as it's the cheapest and easiest to change. I had a brand new OEM front bar fitted in June when my subframe was lowered to fit the new turbo and I dont fancy changing that any time soon.

I do like the look of the BIG adjustable bars but that might be a tad too much for my (mainly) road going car.

What kind of driving style do you have/want? the neuspeed setup that Ess3 went with provided a very neutral setup. From what I understand prawn likes his A3 to be setup to provide oversteer. Would you be happy with a car thats more likely to oversteer as I'd assume increasing the rear ARB and not the front would push the balance of the car this way?

I'm not shy of a bit of oversteer, I used to own a Lotus Elise and that like to oversteer on lift off. My car is only on track from time to time but I do chuck the car about on the twisty roads whenever i'm out. I guess i'm after a feel that will be fun and involving on the road but will also hold up to the hard cornering when on track.

Cheers for your comments guys.

I quite like it setup like that yea, but by having adjustable bars front and rear I can tailer my setup to suit different conditions.

I run a fairly extreme setup, with a 22mm eibach 2 way adjustable from S3 bar, and a 32mm neuspeed 3 way adjustable rear bar.

On the road I tend to run it at a mid point, with the front on full stiff, and the rear on medium, which gives a fairly neutral car, but you CAN make it slide around if you chose to.

On the Ring I run full stiff front and full soft rear, this is incredibly neutral, and the back end never really steps out at all. Very safe.

On smaller UK tracks I run the front bar full stiff still, but also the rear bar on full stiff, this gives a pretty lively rear end, but does lead to wicked turn in, and you often use the back end for steering the car, letting it step out to get the angle, then planting the power extra early.

If I ever went on a tiny kart track or something I’d probably run the front bar on full soft to make it REALLY tail happy, although I’ve never actually tried this on the road.

Adjustable bars are what you really want! I reckon something like the neuspeed 22 rear will be perfect, coupled with an R32 front, as it’ll be tail happy on full stiff, neutral on the mid setting, and super safe on full soft

Cheers Prawn now you've swayed me towards a neuspeed bar for the rear. 32mm is HUGE man! One day i'll get a passenger lap in your car.

So what are your thoughts about the 19mm Neuspeed adjustable bar? I'm thinking about only doing the rear bar at the moment (like I say front is a pig, and is new) so maybe the 22mm neuspeed will be a bit worrying with a standard 15mm front still on???

Is that Neuspeed adjustable though? I`ve just looked and it doesnt actually say it is? Unless im being hugely blind currently..

I`d go straight for the 22mm rear and see how it is after that. If it gets a bit too squiffy then get a bigger front from me at some point. Or deal with it and adjust your driving to suit the livelier rear :p

standard front is 19 :p

Personally, having looked at your pics on track, I think you REALLY need to change the front bar dude, the way your car falls over on track is scary.

Remember that with adjustable bar sizes the adjustment is effectively like changing the bar size, so a 22mm bar on full stiff will be solid, but on medium it might be like a 20mm bar, and on full soft it might behave like an 18mm bar (purely theory examples, not actual numbers)

ON that basis, I'd get a 22mm neuspeed adjustable bar now, and run it on full soft until you get round to changing the rfont with an OEM R32 bar.

Would stiffen it up but would it reduce the understeer enough still having a bigger front? What about the 21 front and 22 rear?

Would stiffen it up but would it reduce the understeer enough still having a bigger front? What about the 21 front and 22 rear?

I cant be ***** to touch the front just yet if at all so I either get a 19 rear and keep it like that or I get and adjustble 19 or 22mm neuspeed with the plan to upgrade the front another time.

The bigger the front ARB the more understeer and the smaller the rear bar the more understeer so 19/19 might cut it for me :think:

I can see issue with comparing Prawns setup to the S3 and thats th fact that the S3 has multi link rear suspension and a changing rate of power going to the rear wheels through the haldex system, does this need to be taken into consideration? I'd be worried that having a larger rear ARB which will reduce understeer (and not increase the front) then having the haldex transfer power to the rear wheels mid corner could cause a spin, this might be seen as extreme and my theory could be completely wrong too, but it was just a thought.

Ok, someone has just pointed out the obvious to me! I'm never going to adjust the ARBs.............. and he's right! I'm not going to be messing about unscrewing the drop links and adjusting these bars for the odd trackday/Nurburgring trip.

I have had 2 guys with the R32 rear bar and standard front bar vouch that their S3s handle very well so sod it, that's what i'll do.

Jason, I'll be in touch soon about ordering one up for me :friends: