W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
You not connected something up properly (electrically)? all the flaps etc are servo controlled...

<tuffty/>

You not connected something up properly (electrically)? all the flaps etc are servo controlled...

<tuffty/>

I ran a VCDS adaption on them yesterday and they all seem to be moving but 1 is stuck. The error points at the "fresh air flap" which I assume is the one that controlls whether the air comes in through the pollen filter or across the matrix!

fresh air flap controls wether it draws fresh air from outside or recirculates air from inside. It doesnt alter the airflow over the matrix.

Are both hoses leading to the heater matrix hot?

When you're driving the car, have you put the heaters on full temperature to get the maximum amount of coolant flowing through the matrix? There may be an airlock hidden in the matrix :(

In which case, you need to remove the matrix, fill it up with coolant and re-install it without spilling any haha

Today is a great day! For the first time in over a year I now have warm air that doesn't smell of coolant :)

I removed the glovebox last night and investigated the centre flap with the small amount of space I had to operate. I found that a fan motor connector had got wedged between the 2 parts that make up the centre air vent funnel. I managed to free this connector up and plugged it in the the centre flap motor.

Started up the car and bingo!

I also found a home for 4 of the 6 extra bolts I had left over from Monday, so happy days.

My mates were due to go to that but was fully booked when they went to buy tickets.

Shame im working in the morning..Could have come along. Passengers dont have to pay as far as i know :p Just need a helmet.

VAG cars a plenty on that list!

Yeah i recognised the names other than yours obviously lol.

Shame im working :( Living so close would have been easy otherwise lol.

next time you boys go ill bring the mk2 along, we gonna go to llandow on the 26th if you fancy it mate.

it is in Wales though, bit of a drive for you.

This weekends track day managed to vibrate my exaust mani bolts loose again so I'm looking at purchasing some Nordlock Washers to try and stop it from happening again. Does anyone know the size I need? It's for the 3 bolts on the mani, 1 is shown in the photo below.

8b73a048.jpg

You might need new bolts mate they get heat cycled lots.

This weekends track day managed to vibrate my exaust mani bolts loose again so I'm looking at purchasing some Nordlock Washers to try and stop it from happening again. Does anyone know the size I need? It's for the 3 bolts on the mani, 1 is shown in the photo below.

8b73a048.jpg
exactly what happened to me at the ring. resulted in fire.
a moody german man tightened mine and they never came loose again

You really should torque the bolts properly to the correct Audi specificed setting. If you overtighten them they'll stretch and deform, and undertightened wont put enough tension on the bolt to keep it done up.

You really should torque the bolts properly to the correct Audi specificed setting. If you overtighten them they'll stretch and deform, and undertightened wont put enough tension on the bolt to keep it done up.

I'd love to be able to get a torque wrench behind the head to do the mani bolts up tight enough mate. The best I can do is a socket set with the hinge joint on it. When I rebuild my engine in the new year I have an XS Power mani to go on so I'll have the room to torque it all up properly.

Finally found an ongoing clunk last night that has been around for a while. Originally I thought it was my top mounts but after further investigation it turned out to be a slightly loose brake caliper!!!!! Oooops!

I also noted how low my brake discs are now so it's time to order another set of Brembo Max.