W3STY's Progress Thread

What colour S3 Avus for the Track?

• Porsche Guards Red

Votes: 43 57.3%
  • Kawasaki Green

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters
Looking forward to some dyno results Bill as there doesn't seem too much to backup the theory in the above link. What are your thoughts on the subject?

I will see for myself.. hence the testing I will do.
I have read conflicting things.. so will see whats occuring myself and if its a genuine improvement, then expect it to be a badger 5 product offering, and if its not.. well........... I wont

Did you read the links above mate? The theory is sound but I want to see proof first.

Just read it... I'm a massive skeptic there, I honestly cannot see how it makes any difference over a standard 'healthy' coil pack, surely if it's firing, it's firing.

Iv witnessed turbo cars 'blowing' and spark out because of high boost and greater gap on plugs, leading to a misfire, a more powerful coil pack would benefit there. But surely not on cars running much over standard boost levels.

Great if it does show gains. sounds awfully like the myth when people used to wack 'ht leads' on their clios and novas lol. Sounds like somebody could make alot of money from it *cough*

I'm always a skeptic :)

Sounds like somebody could make alot of money from it *cough*

Bit like the guy who has been flogging the adapters to space the coil packs :whistle2:

I'm with you mate, I wont believe something till it's bee proven and I've seen the evidenvce. It's not being sceptical, but more being sensible ;)

hows the tyre hunting neil.

I found 4 Yokohama Advans on Pistonheads on Thursday. They had only been on there 3 hours so I got lucky. All have 3mm tread on them and are 225/45/17. I paid to get them couriered down to me from Scotland and the tracking details say they have been delivered to mine so I'm heading home about 2pm to get hold of them and the wheels and head to quick fit ;)

Just read it... I'm a massive skeptic there, I honestly cannot see how it makes any difference over a standard 'healthy' coil pack, surely if it's firing, it's firing.

Iv witnessed turbo cars 'blowing' and spark out because of high boost and greater gap on plugs, leading to a misfire, a more powerful coil pack would benefit there. But surely not on cars running much over standard boost levels.

Great if it does show gains. sounds awfully like the myth when people used to wack 'ht leads' on their clios and novas lol. Sounds like somebody could make alot of money from it *cough*

we will see.
also a skeptic..

potential gains from running a bigger gap than normal and achieving a phatter spark & achieving a more complete burn (perhaps)

theory.. tests will reveal.
who knows - worth a punt

I found 4 Yokohama Advans on Pistonheads on Thursday. They had only been on there 3 hours so I got lucky. All have 3mm tread on them and are 225/45/17. I paid to get them couriered down to me from Scotland and the tracking details say they have been delivered to mine so I'm heading home about 2pm to get hold of them and the wheels and head to quick fit ;)

glad you found some tyres 3mm tread should last you m8, you using your normal wheels get there and these for just the ring

To be honest the Yoko`s arent bad in the rain. My mate had them on his R32 GTR and they were still fairly grippy in the wet. They had around 3mm too.

I'll be hiding round a bush waiting to pinch te S4 's when they are off

Yep traveling in the S4s with Contisports incase it rains then I'll swap the S3s with Yokos for the track. Then if it rains I can still swap back to my road tyres ;)

I'll be hiding round a bush waiting to pinch te S4 's when they are off

Good luck with that ;)

Got home to find these sitting on the front door step:

63cad0bb.jpg

87a792f4.jpg

I've just dropped them into quick fit so I'll get some pics once they're on the rims ;)

The look like they would be fun on the B roads,

Btw how long has Tam had his verds, need new tyres again!

A few pics from tonights cleaning session ready for the Ring trip:

4dbd4cd6.jpg

67ff82d1.jpg

d55c73d7.jpg

cf51639e.jpg

90c692c4.jpg

Didn't seem to get any of mine after the wax was taken off :think:

Anyway here's a few of Tam's:

328d13db.jpg

dadfd3a6.jpg

794d7873.jpg

And my S3 wheels with track rubber fastened down in the boot:

98ae8da1.jpg

Good man :)

Seeing A048R's makes me worry! That's a SERIOUS tyre you've got there dude!

They're not the R's dude, they are just A048's from an exige. They have the "LTS" (lotus) marking on them but i've found out they're the Medium-Hard compound. Exige's come out the factory with these tyres and most people drive them on the road so they should be ok.

I have read that they are at they're optimum performance at between 30-33psi when between 60-90 degrees c, so bit of a small performance window :whistle2:

Looking awesome - have a great time lads! By the way my brakes are loads better now W3STY they've got a lot firmer and flip me they stop a lot better from higher 60-80 downwards! :thrashi:

My car wont handle anywhere near as good as prawn's plus he knows the track better than I do. I'm hoping for a reasonable time though ;)

you could always find sabiene schmidt or how ever you spell her name and clame its you in the car for one lap to see the look on prawns face lol.

Neil : 8mins lap time
Prawn: 9mins lap time

im sure urs should be good against with them tyres on and the power you got just one main thing hope neither of ya's come off.

you could always find sabiene schmidt or how ever you spell her name and clame its you in the car for one lap to see the look on prawns face lol.

im sure urs should be good against with them tyres on and the power you got just one main thing hope neither of ya's come off.

Yeah I'm hoping it's a safe weekend for all.

Prawns car is also a good 300kgs lighter than than mine but I do have a fair bit more power to make up for that. It will be fun :racer:

OI!

I'm already into the 8's :sob: haha.

Safe weekend is what we all want :) afterall, it's just a cracking bit of fun

Thread hijack

Westy, Brembo disk you got from bremboshop/ nextdaybrakes, how do you find it? Good quality and still holding up?

Thread hijack

Westy, Brembo disk you got from bremboshop/ nextdaybrakes, how do you find it? Good quality and still holding up?

Stop hi-jacking ;)

I cant remember where I bought them from but they are very good indeed. I fitted them last June before last years Ring trip and even now there isn't a lip worn into them. With the DS2500s they do an extremely good job.

I recommended them to Fran and he's happy with them also, I'd definitely get another set once these need replacing.

Reactions: fran-s3
OI!

I'm already into the 8's :sob: haha.

Safe weekend is what we all want :) afterall, it's just a cracking bit of fun

8s jesus prawn that car got wings hope fully get low 8s how it is set up at the mo

8s jesus prawn that car got wings hope fully get low 8s how it is set up at the mo

Cheers dude, 08:40 last trip in the A3, but with several problems still, and **** tyres, so now it's done, who knows.

In some ways I half expect to be slower, being older and wiser! haha.

We shall see :)