AH FabricationsChris Nott
    3rd Gear

Status

Brembo Fitting issues

I have recently bought a set of Brembo juinor GT front calipers for my a3.
    I trial fitted them and it became apparent straight away that I would need spacers.
    I went out and got some 15mm spacers thinking that would clear the calipers by miles but, the wheels now just touch the calipers, its literaly a gnats cock in it!
    my question is... do I now go and get some bigger spacers? or can i use a washer between the mounting bracket and hub to bring the caliper in slightly? will using a washer mess up the allignment with the disc?
    I think 20mm spacers will be a bit exteme on the front!

any help will be greatly appreciated

Liam

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    what wheels do you have? 15mm should be more than enough for an Audi offset... do not adjust the caliper on the bracket as it will misalign the caliuper with the disc...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Smell my finger.

Status
    You need to space your wheels not pack the caliper out, as Paul has said you wont have correct orientation between the caliper and the discs if you stick some washers on there. If you do space the caliper you'll have a crap pedal and ****e brakes... plus you'll get through discs and pads VERY quickly.

What ET wheels do you have?. Are you sure its a kit for an A/S3 and not something else?
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

colicabcadam
    i went down this route, waste of time...... i needed 30mm spacers because of the shape of my wheels, the brackets bowed, calipers scratched against the discs, all sorts of problems.

if you want my honest opinion........... send them back, go standard and just buy better pads and better brake fuild, that's what i did (for the cost of the clipers and front dics i managed to change my discs and pads all round!)

Smell my finger.

Status
    I havce to say the easiest and best value upgrade for an A3 is S3 discs and carriers, fresh brake fluid and good quality pads.

Mines awesome now and it certainly doesnt need any more braking power....it nearly jumped off the rollers at the MOT station yesterday
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

3rd Gear

Status
    I did think it wouldnt work by spacing the caliper back, just wanted to confirm this.

I already have s3 brakes all round, they are good driving normally, but on a track, they fade very quickly and my car will be used a lot on the track this year.

The guy I bought them from sold them to me as LCR brembos, but after after buying them I realised they were from the junior GT kit due to their design.

I have Team Dynamics pro race 1.2s, so being a race designed wheel the spokes bow out, giving more space for a larger caliper. I cant remember the offset.

It is literaly only a mm in it, I have never seen spacers inbetween 15 and 20mm though.

Smell my finger.

Status
    Move them on mate..

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Move them on mate..

As in sell them?

I'd rather not, I'd like to work out a way of fitting them, if it is too much of a ball ache I will sell them

Neutral

Status
    What set up do you have on the S3 brakes? I had a 312/232mm set up on my old Ibiza, absolutely nailed them at Oulton park and they kept coming back for more!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Forge do 16mm spacers that 'may' be enough either that or buy different offset wheels... Team Dynamics do loads of different ET's to suit so shouldn't be a prob sticking to those if you want too...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    312mm black diamond discs and ebc pads i think, the pads and discs are pretty shot, which probably didnt help the brake fade. I the difference between standard s4 and the 4 pots is second to none, I have been in prawns car with LCR brembos and the stopping power is amazing!
    Will 20mm spacers be a bit to crazy on the front?

I could get new wheels but I'd rather just find some different spacers!

1st Gear

Status
    When I trial fitted these, I had 15mm spacers and they fitted perfectly..

Pete...

colicabcadam
    20mm is minor to be honest...... unless your car is is lower than normal? 20mm will actually make the car look better imo, just remember to put 20mm all round, not just on the fronts

one thing i learnt, is that if you can lock the wheels with your calipers, a better upgrade for stopping power would be a tyre upgrade.....

as for fade, i've not had any problems with my "turbo groove" ebc dicsc and "yellowstuff" pads, prior to fitting these my brake fade was terrible

you can spend so much on brakes, but if the suspension isnt right and you do not have super sticky tyres, what' the point (been there, done it)

Neutral

Status
    Get some better fluid and braided lines on there. I could out brake a Clio 200 race car

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warleydaddy View Post
    When I trial fitted these, I had 15mm spacers and they fitted perfectly..

Pete...

What offset are you wheels pal?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by colicabcadam View Post
    20mm is minor to be honest...... unless your car is is lower than normal? 20mm will actually make the car look better imo, just remember to put 20mm all round, not just on the fronts

one thing i learnt, is that if you can lock the wheels with your calipers, a better upgrade for stopping power would be a tyre upgrade.....

as for fade, i've not had any problems with my "turbo groove" ebc dicsc and "yellowstuff" pads, prior to fitting these my brake fade was terrible

you can spend so much on brakes, but if the suspension isnt right and you do not have super sticky tyres, what' the point (been there, done it)

i may try 20mm spacers then, my car is lower but not crazy low! so shouldnt have an issue with catching the arches!

may brakes are one of the last things i wanted to upgrade, nearly ready for the track now

3rd Gear

Status
    bit of an update, i've been out trying the callipers again...

bascially, I have found that after stripping all of tha paint off of the face of the caliper, the wheel will not touch, but there is literally a fag paper in it, and im not sure if i would have any issues once the caliper and wheel heat up?

is it possible to have a few mm machined off of the face of the caliper? im not sure if this will affect the structure of the caliper? has anybody ever machined a caliper down to clear the wheel?

i fear my only option maybe getting the caliper machined as with 15mm spacers up front, they seem to bring the wheel out enough, anymore and i think it wouldnt look right.

colicabcadam
    just put 20mm spacers on! when you put them on all the wheels it will look better! don't bother doing anything to the caliper!

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Plunky View Post
    bit of an update, i've been out trying the callipers again...

bascially, I have found that after stripping all of tha paint off of the face of the caliper, the wheel will not touch, but there is literally a fag paper in it, and im not sure if i would have any issues once the caliper and wheel heat up?

is it possible to have a few mm machined off of the face of the caliper? im not sure if this will affect the structure of the caliper? has anybody ever machined a caliper down to clear the wheel?

i fear my only option maybe getting the caliper machined as with 15mm spacers up front, they seem to bring the wheel out enough, anymore and i think it wouldnt look right.

did you not see the suggested forge 16mm spacer suggestion!!
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

3rd Gear

Status
    that is an option Bill, however I still wont have the recommended 3mm gap between caliper and wheel

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    recommended 3mm by whome?
    I have run 0.7mm on my ibiza previously when I ran speedlines & brembos

clearance is clearance. so long as wheel is'nt "bendy"
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

Status
    i only have 1mm between my suspension strut and the back of the wheel causes no problems was Badger says clearance is clearance. so long as wheel is'nt "bendy"

3rd Gear

Status
    I just saw something on the brembo website, If you say it will be fine Bill, the i'll probably just go with 16mm spacers then.
    From the picture above, what would be people opinions on an extra 5mm spacing?

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Plunky View Post
    I just saw something on the brembo website, If you say it will be fine Bill, the i'll probably just go with 16mm spacers then.
    From the picture above, what would be people opinions on an extra 5mm spacing?
    Personally I think your wheels look good on the 15mm spacers. I have seen 20mm up front before on an S3 and they look a little too much. 20mm on the rear would be fine as the rear axel is 5mm shorter anyway. So you could buy 1 pair of 20mm, try them on the front, if you dont like them stick them on the rear
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    Thats what i thought, i'm still going to have to get 16mm spacers up front.
    still unsure that it will work though, there is next to no clearance with just the caliper, thats excluding the paint and decal that will be going on the calipers.
    may just get 20mm spacers and see what happens

colicabcadam
    or just get 20mm spacers and if you don't like it, have the spacers machined down....

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by colicabcadam View Post
    or just get 20mm spacers and if you don't like it, have the spacers machined down....
    Good idea!