Advice regarding Chrous -> higher spec headunit

Drysdale

Reaction score
Hi,

Need to upgrade my standard Chorus headunit (its just a radio/cassette player) to something higher up in the Audi range. Which headunits will fit and be a direct replacement? Don't really want to remove the cage, just want to remove the old unit and fit the higher spec one with CD straight away. I assume I will not need any adaptor loom or adaptor plates, just the replacement headunit and plug it all in. Can anyone advise me?

Just been reading about...I understand that the Concert II is the only headunit with single DIN that has a cd player built in. Will the Concert II act as a straight swap for my Chorus headunit? I wont need to replace the whole cage though will I?

You know what I'm going to ask now. What are these variants and which one is right for me? 1997 A3 1.6

[ QUOTE ]
You know what I'm going to ask now. What are these variants and which one is right for me? 1997 A3 1.6

[/ QUOTE ]
One out of an A3, as opposed to one out of a TT for example. The front cover s are different sizes on the different models.

Part numbers are different:

Here are a few examples:
2001 A3:
Concert 1: 8L0 057 186 A
Concert 11: 8L0 057 186 G

2001 A4:
Concert 1: 8E0 057 186

1999 TT:
Concert 1: 4B0 057 186 J
2001 TT:
Concert 11: 4B0 057 186 G

Theer's no concert 1 or 11 listed for 1997 A3, so I presume that the one you want will be either the concert 1 or 11 from the 2001 A3. They will fit the hole, but I have no idea of whether the wiring is the same.

Apparently, the front cover can be replaced so that any model can physically fit any car, but again, I don't know about wiring connectors as I have no seen them on your car.

Hope that helps

I added this onto a similar thread the other week, someone asking about Concert 2's.

I dont think any of them will work properly in your A3. The wiring is different, so things like the illumination wont work on the display etc. Feel free to do a search though for concert, and you'll probably get all the answers though