Cambelt change in the Midlands.

markthenewt

Reaction score
Hi. I need to get my cambelt changed as I brought the car with no history so not sure when it was last changed... On 122k miles now so It's due.

Been quoted £295 for a genuine audi belt and tensioner kit with 2 year warrenty, a lot cheaper than the £399 audi themselves want.

Looking to get it done a bit cheaper If I can as you do lol so if yany of you know of any good places to go in the mids could you let me know.

Cars a 2003 1.8tqs

Cheers.

Hi. I need to get my cambelt changed as I brought the car with no history so not sure when it was last changed... On 122k miles now so It's due.

Been quoted £295 for a genuine audi belt and tensioner kit with 2 year warrenty, a lot cheaper than the £399 audi themselves want.

Looking to get it done a bit cheaper If I can as you do lol so if yany of you know of any good places to go in the mids could you let me know.

Cars a 2003 1.8tqs

Cheers.

Pay an extra bit more and get the waterpump done at the same time!

I got mine done at midland VW too. Can't remember how much I paid though.

Pay an extra bit more and get the waterpump done at the same time!

Just had a quick scan about changing the pump... aparently the metal ones leak so I'll get a proper plastic one. Wondering if mine has the stronger one though as mine is the late a3 quattro (52 plate but 2003) They don't cost much anyways so I'll get that done too.

Cheers jojo :)

Wow what a lazy bunch, why not do it yourself, it's not too taxing and you could save a fortune.

Definitely recommend Jody at Midland VW mate I always took my old S3 there and its spot on. Give them a ring and speak to Jody he's a good lad and will sort you out, normally its about £260 to £280 if having the water pump done, you may as well get them both done as if the pump goes its a whole cambelt off job to do it so kills 2 birds with 1 stone really, great service too.

Just had mine done recently at Midland VW for the second time, workmanship and rep of these guys is excellent.

Paid £270 for mine and that was with the waterpump as well.

They only use the metal one though.

Also you could try R-Tech as well if you are thinking of getting other work done as well, as they may sort a deal for you.

Whereabouts in the Mids are you?

Cheers lads :)

I went to R-tec yesterday, got a 007p fitted while I was there, just waiting for them to get back to me with a price for doing the work.

Nilz I'm in Atherstone (between Tamworth and Nuneaton) mate.

Cant talk highly enough about Midland VW the guys are awesome. it only took them 3 1/2 hours to do my clutch and flywheel change.

Wow what a lazy bunch, why not do it yourself, it's not too taxing and you could save a fortune.

Yes and make a mistake and it would cost a lot more than a couple of hundred to fix

To be fair, if you have changed a cambelt before on any car, the S3 one is pretty straight forward. Just a lot of stuff to take off to get to it, and the driver side engine mount can be a PITA to get out.

I am going to cancel my company health care plan because it's too lazy to rely on a doctor.

Reactions: marcuss3
I can't recommend Volkswizard highly enough.

£299 inc water pump and tensioner + £50 for the hydraulic damper.

Andrew is top bloke.

Located in Hollywood, nr Kings Norton.

Cheers for all the heads up peeps :)

Got it booked into R-Tec tomorrow... got a new cambelt, tensioner, waterpump going on and a Forge tip, then remapped. Also have a Pipercross panel filter on it now.

Getting there :D

Good stuff, let us know how you get on, glad you getting it all sorted :)

Bit delayed but here are my results from R-Tech.

DSCF3242.jpg

Cambelt,tensioner and waterpump changed.

Car was doing 180bhp standard which I thought was good saying it has 122,000 on the clock, thought it would have been less than that with the milage and wear and tear. Now doing 210Bhp after Nick worked his magic :D

I never had the forge t.i.p fitted as the one they had in stock was not the one for my car but they say it don't make a huge difference anyway so saved myself over a hundred quid on that.

I can now hear the pishhhh from the dumpvalve now too, well the sound comes up through the air filter, I think thats how it works.

There might be a boost leak somewhere so got to take it back and have it smoke tested at some point when I have the time.

I'm very happy with it anyways :D

And they don't pull the haldex fuse... they actually disconnect it under the car :L