lack of perfomance

allhell

Reaction score
hi..i seems my introduction to audi world is begining to fade quickly first of all my 1.8 sport develops this problem with pulling away the rev drop off as you feed the clutch in and start to accelerate and then the car stalls if you dont push the clutch in to catch the revs . also to be honest my mk2 golf gti 8v would have seen this thing off everywhere its so sluggish if you want this thing to go you have to keep on changing down to fire the thing up ,or at least to spark up a bit of interest the only thing is the rev do surge slightly on the tick over but other than that it seems normal .please dont tell me i should have bought the 18t but surely this car should be better than a 13 year old golf gti or is there something wrong with the thing ..??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

You're forgetting that the A3 probably weighs double what your old golf did, and has not much more power.
Should have got the 1.8T (Which still isn't that quick) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

If possible I would try and get someone with a diagnostic tool like VAG-COM to plug into your car and see if anythings pulled up an error code.

Failing the above I would be inclined to disconnect the MAF connector from the MAF and see whether this changes your performance or not, if it does nothing at all then it may well be time for a new MAF. It could be that the MAF is still within limits but is on the edge of them and therefore telling your ECU that it has more or less air than it actually has.

The other item which you could suspect would be the coolant sensor as this has an influence over idling and performance, as the ECU bases it's fueling/timing on the engine temp.

i will get the car checked out but i have heard other people mention the cat playing up cause loss of power,so i would like to know what results you get like wise i will do the same .hmmm the thing is the mk2 golf was a heavy car what my point is the actual drive there doesnt seem to be any sudden pick up in any gear if anything the car is quite bland .i bought the car back last year in september and the fact is i sold my golf in august and ever since then ive compared it to my golfs power and everything else ive driven since then perhaps ill give your sister a race in her punto 1.2(provided she gives me a few seconds start).all joking a side i value what you say i guess it does seem to have lost power and maybe it is heavy and underpowered but it doesnt seem right i think i just expect it to be better than what it is

[ QUOTE ]
(which is why the S3 225 is slower than A Leon Cupra R with the same engine)

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? I thought the Cupra was a little over 7 secs 0-60, with the S3 well under 7.

0-60 the S3 has the edge but thats all thanks to Mr 4wd.

From a rolling speed the leons faster.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
0-60 the S3 has the edge but thats all thanks to Mr 4wd.

From a rolling speed the leons faster.

[/ QUOTE ]
You know how unimportant 0-60 times are though right? A car could reach 60 in 2 seconds, but it would still be a slow car in my eyes if it then took 30 secs to reach 100 and reached top speed at 110mph. S3 benefits massively in a 0-60 sprint due to 4x4, but it soon feels the drawbacks at higher speeds.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same applies for a chipped A3T versus a chipped S3, once on the move the A3 can really show it's stuff until you hit 130mph+, and then the S3 has the edge, but top speeds don't seem to be too far away from each other.

another thing my car always runs better when its running with the choke on would this still point to the maf?