first time audi owner looking for some advice

grayburnett

Reaction score
im an ex astra owner,just did a straight swap for an audi a3 1.8t quattro,i was a bit dubious when the guy first offered to swap,i wondered what was wrong with the audi! surely the 51 plate audi was worth more than the 51 plate astra bertone coupe.i checked out the car and couldnt fault it,apart from a few monor bits needing cleaned,touched up and polished.i went ahead with the swap anyway. so now i am the proud owner of a 51 plate audi a3 1.8t quattro,81000 miles,ebony black,completely standard apart from a k&n panel filter.i have paperwork for a lot of work thats been done,water pump changed,timing belt done,haldex oil changed?(dont really know much about this),just been serviced,4 new tyres and numerous other bits and pieces. was this a worthwhile swap? is there anything i need to be aware of ? and is there any advice anyone can give me on the running of the car as ive never owned a 4 wheel drive car before. the car seems to run well enough,weve just had it away as far as newcatle at the weekend (i live 30 miles north of aberdeen) so it is looking good so far

i'll get some pictures on when i give it a good clean and a polish .the tax was away to run out on the audi too,the guy put on another 6 months for me

I would definitely say you've done the best there, as long as there aren't any problems, get it fault scanned to see if there are any faults etc. maybe the guy fancied a change or the cheaper insurance / running costs with the astra. I used to have one, was it the 1.8? thats the one I had, the Bertone coup's are quite desirable and nippy for the engine and size :D anyway welcome to the forum mate.

Ginge: My wife had the Astra G 1.8 really a great car, she had it for 5 years and she scrapped it with only with only 78k on the clock. Had a knacked ECU.

DC

hi, firstly the haldex oil is to do with the diff.
and like most people said, the major issues with our cars seem to have been covered, try and get it on vag-com, which is the software that is used to log all our codes and data.
and poss 1 more thing to try and get checked is for any small boost leaks. will deff notice the difference if you have one and get it fixed.
hope i helped.

Thanks for the replies,the astra I had was the 2.2 se2 europa blue with the half blue suede/black leather interior,coilovers,19" wheels and full bodykit. I have found a fault with the audi,the y breather is busted,and has been taped up.will this cause any running faults and where is the best place to get one? Would I be any cheaper getting one from skoda or seat? And I was thinking about a dump valve,what do you suggest?