k03s rebuild to hybrid thoughts and opinions

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
hey audi fans, ive got an A3 1.8t sport AUM thats bone 121k, and im thinking the turbo feels abit tierd, and the turbo whistle noise sounds abit rattley under low boost, iv seen a k03s hybrid that has got the internals of a k04, i was wondering can this be done to mine or is it even possible? and if it can be done should i just buy the turbo iv seen as it would be cheaper to swap then sell mine?
thanks for any and all replys.

iv found the turbo in questions spec and im wondering what would be a decent offer for it. it is a K03-052 turbo with K04-001 internals.

The turbo was removed from a Seat Ibiza Cupra MK3 1.8T which hes breaking for parts. It was running 230Bhp - 256lb/ft combined with a front mount intercooler, exhaust down-pipe & Jabbasport Re-Map (I have listed the Re-Mapped ECU separately)

There is virtually no shaft play - the turbo was built by Turbo Dynamics in 2005 using a wider Neuspeed intake & Turbo Dynamics actuator, since then it has been on the car for 41,000 miles.

A ko3 hybrid IS a ko3 body modified to take ko4 internals. There are other mods needed to get the most of one and you WILL need a custom map to run it. It's a good bolt on option and you could see 250hp. If you've found one for a good price go for it, if not CR turbos can refurb and make your ko3 a hybrid.

if I wer you and had the funds I'd be having as much off him as I could, you will save a lot of cash, and even if you doubt the turbos condition you can have it refurbed. go for it. I'm surprised he wasn't running more power than that, but then the blower is 5 or 6 years old, get it updated.

If that hybrid was only running 230bhp either they weren't trying hard enough or its not a proper hybrid.. all the ones I have seen are capable of 260-280bhp with supporting mods... CR Turbos might be worth calling as thats where Bill has got his hybrids in the past and non of the ones I have seen fitted to Ibizas do less than 260bhp...

<tuffty/>

thanks for the tips lads.
so will all his piping for intercooler fit or should i just do an ebay jobby like prawn? iv saved a few ugandan dollars and i wanna get a few more camels out of the 20v T, iv not had it remapped yet so i was thinking buy all this s*%t and jump straight to stage 2 :) will the turbo fit my manifold and how much do you think his turbo is worth (in sterling)lol?

'IF' its a proper hybrid then you will need S3/TT(225)/LCR injectors and MAF tube, silicone TIP,cone filter plus custom mapping... you would also be advised to go for rods unless you keep the boost sensible as K03 hybrids are spiky little beggers and deliver a big spike of torque when they spool...

A K03 hybrid from CR is in the region of 700 quid but that will be fully refurbished with new selas and bearings etc and machined correctly, K03 hybrids are designed to bolt onto std K03 manis and DP's....

The Ibiza Cupra inlet manis are the same as S3 ones so the throttle body is on the passenger side unlike A3's where everything in on the drivers side... Ibiza Cupra also has a differnt charge pipe route goinmg over the rocker cover towards the front of the car rather than the A3's down the back and drivers side etc...

Not a small amount of work but done right it will make a fast car... most I have seen was just over 280bhp with WMI on an Ibiza Cupra

<tuffty/>