Steering control arm is there a secret to removing it?

sportquattro

Reaction score
Hi All, went to replace the steering control arm, gaiter and trackrod end today, jacked the car up but can see no easy way to undo the arm from the steering rack, I'm doing the Drivers side arm if that helps, as far as I can see it looks like a drop the sub-frame job, or is there a secret trick to doing it? Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nige

Dead easy mate, 10 minute job when you know how!

To do the drivers side arm, turn the steering full lock left before you start. This will push the rack to the far right, making it easier to get at.

Undo the clip holding the boot on, and slide the boot back to see the big 8 sided nut that secures the arm to the rack.

Put your spanner on the nut (it's something huge like 32mm) pointing straight downwards, then give the end of the spanner a swift blow with a mallet, this shock should be enough to undo the joint. I've found just pulling on the spanner to be ineffective, as they're usually ****** tight!

Best of luck, refitting is the reverse of removal in true haynes fashion!

Dead easy mate, 10 minute job when you know how!

To do the drivers side arm, turn the steering full lock left before you start. This will push the rack to the far right, making it easier to get at.

Undo the clip holding the boot on, and slide the boot back to see the big 8 sided nut that secures the arm to the rack.

Put your spanner on the nut (it's something huge like 32mm) pointing straight downwards, then give the end of the spanner a swift blow with a mallet, this shock should be enough to undo the joint. I've found just pulling on the spanner to be ineffective, as they're usually ****** tight!

Best of luck, refitting is the reverse of removal in true haynes fashion!

Hi Prawn, Many thanks fior the reply, that was what I thought was the proceedure, but, when I tried it this morning with the car up on an axle stand, full left lock on, it looked as if the subframe would block any access to the nut from below and make getting the boot retaining clip back on very difficult. Is the S3 different to the A3 in this respect? I'm loathed to destroy the existing boot which has a small hole if I cant subesquently get the big nut undone, and then get track arm with new boot done back up again. if that makes sense

nope, A3 is no different to S3, especially not since I've got an S3 rack, arms, hubs, and wishbones, droplinks, struts, everything! :p

To get the clip off, go full lock right, so it's not stretching the boot. Reach round over the driveshaft into the bay to undo the clip, and you've got a surprising amount of access.

Undo the clips on BOTH ends of the boot, and you can slide the boot along the arm right to the track rod, making the nut completely visable.

On full lock left, you'll be surprised at just how far out the nut is, it's well beyond the edge of the subframe, making it easy enough to get to. I just changed mine last week, took about 10 mins per side.

Give it another shot when you get a chance, be patient with it, and it's not a bad job