Chris NottVolks Autos
    1st Gear

Status

Lowering Audi A3 8L - Problems

Hello peeps few other q's.

I'm buying coilovers today, I want to go for the cheapest coilovers possible as well, which are the cheapest ones to you guys knowledge for the a3? and I've got a few questions about the arb rubbing with the driveshaft. I've read over on here that lower than 40mm the arb WILL be rubbing on the driveshaft? So I was wondering if I dropped it 40mm front & back, with 18 inch rs4 alloys will it be okay and will it have no arb rubbing on the driveshaft? And... does anyone have any photos of an a3 lowered 40mm? I really want to see how low it is, because I want it low as possible, but low on ££ at moment without updating arb to a TT one? As well as spacers, what size spacers would you guys recommend I should go for, and where can I get them from? I want biggest possible without causin probs!
    Last edited by N4THW; 1st May 2011 at 10:31.

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    If the tyres u have are 225 40 18 get Jamex coilovers £180 tt ARB bout £60 new topmounts kit bout £40 ,5mm spacers for clearance on front bout £20. U don't NEED the top mounts
    CAR IS GONNA BE LOOKING SWEEEET :D

Smell my finger.

Status
    You dont need top mounts but I'd say its best practice to change them being as you're having it all out anyway...thats what I did as I couldnt be arsed to revisit when the original ones wear out.

Might be worth looking at other bushes whilst you're there too, wishbones, ball joints etc are all worth changing at the same time if your cars a bit leggy etc.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2nd Gear

Status
    best to hange it all. if going that low. would it be better to get new arb bushes too. another lowerign thread!! lol

1st Gear

Status
    thanks for all the coments guys. i may just have to drop it 40mm and leave it be until my ££ rises lol. is 40mm worthwhile with 18 inch rs4 alloys?

Smell my finger.

Status
    Yeah man

Mines dropped 40mm and I ran some 18" RS4s and it was fine. I would post a pic but Flickr's dicking me about at the minute.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Tom View Post
    Yeah man

Mines dropped 40mm and I ran some 18" RS4s and it was fine. I would post a pic but Flickr's dicking me about at the minute.
    perfect mate cheers - if you can upload a pic i'd love to c what its like

TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
    ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Smell my finger.

Status
    Here you go...

Smell my finger.

Status

Hope this helps.

For info its running back on its standard 16's now and is a fair bit lower than in these pics due to the smaller wheels etc.

T

1st Gear

Status
    that to me looks perfect mate.... i wouldn't mind it lower but for me to go lower it seems to go through all this ARB bull**** lol. I will focus on that when I got more ££ in the bank as this is my first car but I would like it lower. So 40mm drop with 18 inch (old style) rs4 alloys should be ok, no rubbing etc?

Cheers mate

Smell my finger.

Status
    I dont have any issues, not sure what it would be like with a standard anti roll bar though as I had KW ones fitted front and back when I had my car lowered.

1st Gear

Status
    We shall soon see :D haha, anyone know if i'll be ok to lower 40mm without changing arb etc etc? with 18 inch alloys
    Last edited by N4THW; 1st May 2011 at 15:28.

2nd Gear

Status
    Yes

Neutral

Status
    Yeah mines lowered 45mm just on springs with 17" no rubbing at all drives fine handles like a big go kart
    1992 Cavalier SRi 8V RIP
    2002 Mondeo ST TDCi Good riddance!
    2000 A3 8L 17" Ronal TT, -45mm, LCR Splitter, Matt Black Badging, Soon to attempt Lamin-x headlight tints