Would anyone touch this with a 10ft bargepole?

hank3944

Reaction score
'51' Audi S3 Quattro Black 1.8 Turbo - 52,000 miles | eBay UK

looks ok to me:think:, the main things that bother me is the "may need 4 wheel allignement, as is makes a noise over 60mph" what is this likely to be? and how much would it cost to fix?

the service history is a bit of a pain but if you can get printouts from audi might not be so bad.

The light switch looks like it could be swapped out ok what do you guys think?

and the cig burn is a pain but can that airbag panel be changed???

Interested to hear your thoughts. Gav.

I would aggree, looks like he's hoping for 5200 lol

buy it now is 5250, no chance you're getting it for 3k

yeah but look at what he started the bidding at..... maybe get if for 4k!! the question is would anyone touch it with a 10ft pole....

what for £3000-£4000 with 52k on the clock? show me..... :)

Straight one, as in one with no Cat C/D history. I would go with a higher mileage car than buy a 52k mile car that's insurance cat C/D, but that's my preference. Unless you know 100% what happened to the car prior to it being fixed, I just don't trust them, especially on a high performance hatchback like an S3!

Also, 'light front end damage' can mean one thing to one person and something else to another. And for anyone who is interested in this car, I would highly recommend a quick scan with VAGCOM to verify the mileage, as it has no service history to back it up.

All just my personal opinions of course, so each to their own.

I agree with everything you say jojo, trouble is for 4k you can only get a 130k+ mileage facelift of a prefacelift.......

personally, its too much

if it was something along these lines of price, yeppp, but i don't know how hard/how much s3 engines are to purchase/get hold of

Audi : Audi S3

I agree with everything you say jojo, trouble is for 4k you can only get a 130k+ mileage facelift of a prefacelift.......

I think it's safe to assume £4k isn't going to buy you the S3 in the ebay ad right? You have to factor in other things like resale value, and a Cat D car in my opinion, is hard to move on, unless priced accordingly.

I paid £4k for the S3 in my sig(the right hand side one), and it had 154k miles on it! Runs sweet as a nut with full documented service history to back it up.

Just a get a pre facelift one with 90-110k on it, you can get them for 3.5-4k, well looked after with receipts as well as history, you can always change the lights at a later date if they bother you (personally I haven't)

Like a lot of people on this forum say, a well looked after car with 150k on the clocks will drive as well as one with 50k on the clocks.

There is 1 major perk which fires me towards early S3's, and that is I don't have to turn ESP off every time I get in the car, as it doesn't have it \o/

I think it's safe to assume £4k isn't going to buy you the S3 in the ebay ad right? You have to factor in other things like resale value, and a Cat D car in my opinion, is hard to move on, unless priced accordingly.

I think i could work something out with the seller...... especially as like you say its going to be hard to get rid of after im finished with it. I would price it at around 3-3.5k

hank3944 have you had chance to look at my pm i sent you?

Doesn't matter how many miles a 1.8t has on aslong as it's had a owner that's serviced it regularly. Personally i wouldn't buy that particular one because it already has issues. You might get it for 3-3.5k but you may end up spending 2k getting up to scratch.

I'd hang on, go and have a look at a few at some local car dealership to give yourself an idea of the different types of standards available, i've seen some lower mileage S3's that have been in shocking condition, don't rush into it bud:icon_thumright:

The cat d bit wouldnt put me off. At the end of the day if your planning on keeping the car i dont feel it really matters what the resale price will be. I would try and verify the milage though as person above has said. Stolen/recovered bit is a bit off putting though.