Benjamins S2000 air filter mod.

Yeah I wasn't recommending it. Merely showing what was available.

You'd probably get 2-3 of these filters for the price of one of a decent cone that'll last for ages. Just don't see it myself. Nice experiment though. A huge green cone filter cost me $40. Doubt I'd get an s2000 filter here for $20.

Those gains you got may well be from the removal of the heat shield. They sit very close to the filter which has to effect flow a bit.

My gains weren't from the removal of the heat shield. I had actually removed it before logging to modify it for the S2000 filter.

With heat shield on or off I always got 191.2, for weeks.

And as we know, I have most logged A3 in the world haha :p

Ah right, well I've seen others produce more from removing them. Flow vs intake temp.

191.2 every time? That's very strange to get the exact figure every log isn't it? You'd expect some variance.

Would be good to test on a dyno.

I have got a pretty constant setup, fmic, coldside kit and oe dv, no boost leaks, always run on only V Power, always logged the full pull in the same place etc. No reason for the peak airflow to change other than with external temps. When it was -2 outside I logged something stupid like 198.

Dyno results will hopefully follow at the end of the month at Niki's. If the filter can flow well for Phils car then it is good enough for all of you K04 lads too.

I think Simon Worker (445bhp Leon with a £130 Chinese ebay turbo) has just ordered one too.

Yeah that's what I mean. Temperatures (ambient, heat soak, etc) would effect it. So you make sure you log with everything at the same temperature? Blindly, you're keen.

I'll probably stick with a cotton one (since I already have it) but I did look at the 42dd velocity inlet. It's a nice bit of kit but pricey. Didn't think a velocity stack would make much difference though. It didn't when Bill tested it on his Lupo I think? I guess we'll see when you get it dynoed.

I have got a pretty constant setup, fmic, coldside kit and oe dv, no boost leaks, always run on only V Power, always logged the full pull in the same place etc. No reason for the peak airflow to change other than with external temps. When it was -2 outside I logged something stupid like 198.

Dyno results will hopefully follow at the end of the month at Niki's. If the filter can flow well for Phils car then it is good enough for all of you K04 lads too.

I think Simon Worker (445bhp Leon with a £130 Chinese ebay turbo) has just ordered one too.

Remembering the MAF is a MASS AIR FLOW meter, so colder denser air is colder and denser.. and the hot film MAF knows... (more cooling effect across its hot film element) - maybe same velocity passing by, but more Mass..

Seeing the dyno results will be the main thing..
I have tested Many Many filters and seen much wider variance on g/s from MAF, but in power measurement differences? meh..... in the realms of measurement scatter difference wise..

Bill, you didn't see many gains with a velocity stack right? Any use on an ickle GT28?

I tested filters inc one with velocity stack 6" filter neck, 76mm MAF size..
It read the lowest g/s combined with the K&N filter, BUT, made the highest power... Removed filter and zero difference in logged g/s

I think it presented the cleanest non-turbulent airflow to the MAF as my best guess as to what was occuring.

When I say made highest power, its was very very small variances between the filters, and the max/min were in the realms of measurment scatter from engine temps between the runs.. Very inconclusive in power terms.. In logged airflow terms you could be conned into thinking otherwise however.. which is why airflow overall, taken as the Only measurement of gains, is flawed.

I like the idea of radius stack and have used these on our BT cars which use the RS4 MAF housings, and we make a billet radius stack to hose the MAF and clamp the filter onto.

billet-10002.jpg

and installed in the GT3076 TT
hollie-tt-sem-2.jpg

Reactions: fanta
I really don't know why Hollie had forge remake that charge pipe Bill. The one you made looked SO much better!

Oh really? If that's the case I may go and buy one this week just to test it :) Any chance we could do a run with /' without when I pop down to play with cams? We need to sort that out at some point, and that fuel pump, and I want to see this M3 :D

Oh really? If that's the case I may go and buy one this week just to test it :) Any chance we could do a run with /' without when I pop down to play with cams? We need to sort that out at some point, and that fuel pump, and I want to see this M3 :D

Yes, yes and yes.

Think we need a little drag race to 155! Lol

I really don't know why Hollie had forge remake that charge pipe Bill. The one you made looked SO much better!

because.. lol
mine was easier and more practical to remove for access of things.... the one they had made is near impossible to remove as its join is behind the headlamp.. {sighs}

all sounds really good but getting car mapped first lol been waiting years

People have been using this filter on the TT forum for nearly a year nowm always get good result, good value for money!

because.. lol
mine was easier and more practical to remove for access of things.... the one they had made is near impossible to remove as its join is behind the headlamp.. {sighs}

Brand snobbery?

Ive just ordered one of these filters from the local eurocarparts. Air filter needs replacing anyway... and for the sake of £18 why not.

This thread made me very happy. just ordered one seeing as im binning my K&N filter and buying a new MAF before getting some diagnostics done. finally going to get back into working on mine TQS, need to get the engine running spotlessly then i can get the paint fixed!

You can still get an LCR splitter for £36 direct from Seat, it is just that nobody bothers and buys them straight off ebay for £45.

Mmm nice I can get one from euros for 9.95 plus vat lol.

ERF's car in for a catch can and s2000 filter. He joined the filter club!

183CF69A-7762-43D1-9890-FF132D5F266B-9122-000005BB602427BA.jpg

I was just about to upload that picture! Ben you are a legend! Cheers for sorting out the oil catch can and filter for me. The car felt great on the way back home! Well worth the trip out to see you guys. :icon_thumright:

Bill, will sort out a TIP as soon as I can get my 4wd working...:banghead:

Also - I think I left battery cover at the garage. Can you put it to one side until I see you guys in the next couple of weeks?

Cheers!

ive just got my self a mugen performance s2000 filter lovley

It's in the boot, along with your airbox mate. :)

Can these be ordered off eurocarparts website? Carnt find them anywhere Nd its a right mission to the nearest eurocarparts depot.

got mine from gfs £18.08 posted but then found a mugen one and got that to

I had a large cone type filter on the car for a few years, got sick of noises/whistles and swapped back to the box with cold air feed and enlarged opening. Didn't realise how much low end torque was lost with basically no top end gain. Has anyone else had the same experience?

I had a large cone type filter on the car for a few years, got sick of noises/whistles and swapped back to the box with cold air feed and enlarged opening. Didn't realise how much low end torque was lost with basically no top end gain. Has anyone else had the same experience?

I did back to back dynos at Bill's and we found the Jetex cone gave nearly 10bhp and 7lbft (I think, my memory is rubbish so it might have been more) of torque at peak over a smoothed airbox.

I did back to back dynos at Bill's and we found the Jetex cone gave nearly 10bhp and 7lbft (I think, my memory is rubbish so it might have been more) of torque at peak over a smoothed airbox.

Was that with a 3" TIP fitted too?

Are cone filters that much noisier than an aftermarket panel filter and airbox?

Last edited: