EM TuningSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Grating noise poss alternator !!!

Hi all ,
    My battery warning lights has started flickering on and a grating type noise at the same time . (02 plate S3) Strange thing is when i switch off the ac the noise stops and the battery warning light goes out ! Could this be the alternator or Air con compressor clutch , any help to solve this much appreciated .

Cheers Ant

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Sounds like the bearings have gone in the AC pulley and then puts force on the alternator pulley...

Neutral

Status
    thanks for the reply , i've looked and listened again and the noise is still there with the AC off , pretty sure its the alternator bearings . Think switching the AC off quietened it down as less tension on the alternator as you said but the other way round . Now need to find myself a replacement asap ! Anyone got an alternator for sale i'm in Truro in Cornwall ,

Cheers Ant

Neutral

Status
    Just a quick heads up , the grating noise was my alternator clutch pulley ! Whipped out the alternator and replaced it today , good old boys at Audi had one in stock , even buzzed the old pulley off and new one on for me , happy days are here again , lol .