My first problem after installing chip 1.8T

lowrider786

Reaction score
hiya people

after a week of having my audi a3 1.8T fitted with a remap tuning chip (which i dont regret) i have noticed i problem.

when i start braking and stop and i dip my clutch the rev metre goes all funny it starts bobing up and down and after around 5 seconds it stops and settle just below the 1000 rev mark, sometimes the car will stall??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (this will only happens sometimes other times it acts normally). i have my car booked into a audi mechanic and after explaining to him the problem he thinks it nothing to do with the chip and may just need to adjust the trottle flap.

how do you adjust the trottle flap on the audi a3 1.8 Turbo 1997, if its something simple i rather do it my self and save a few bob.

has anyone any idea on whats causing the problem or has anyone experience this problem.

I had that problem on my A4 and all it needed was a new idle control valve. If you put low grade petrol in your car this contributes to the problem. Sorry but I cant help you with the throttle flap. It's relatively cheap to get the control valve done though.

did you have your car fitted with a remapped chip when the problem accured??

has anyone had this problem resolved after chipping there car i also noticed that the problem only accurs when the car temp is at normal, it never happen when the car engine is cold???

this leads me to believe it has something to do with the throttle positan beacuse when the car is cold the throttle adjust its self to keep the car running once it heats up the throttle returns to its normal self and the problem accurs???

ive just contacted the dealers and they want £350 for the idle control valve,

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

My does this sometimes........Starts hunting in the lower rev range, but its never stalled.

I can probably count on one hand when its done it, so this post could get interesting!

Mine is a daily occurence... I might try and clean it a bit more thoroughly. I aint paying £350! They are having a laugh!

Rich

There are expensive peices of kit, so you might want to also consider that the temp sensor can cause irratic idle aswell.

The throttle valve adjustment can be done with vag-com, can't remember which block at the mo.
On older cars it sometimes will not reset when using Vag-com etc. because the valve does not fully seat but that can normally be solved by just clening up the valve body with some cleaner....even though a dealer would replace it at this stage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Im going to remove mine from the car again, give the whole thing a damn good clean and see if it fixes the problem at all... Also going to keep an eye out at scrappys and see if any come up. dont fancy paying £280 for nothing!

Rich

hiya peep
i rang up VAGPARTS yesterday and they have them in stock for £196... still alot of money

[ QUOTE ]
lowrider said:
hiya peep
i rang up VAGPARTS yesterday and they have them in stock for £196... still alot of money

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i guess thats not TOO bad. Thanks for posting up the info.

Rich

how do you remove the unit is it a big job or is it a case of openning a few bolts and cleaning it??? i havent had a look at it yet so dont know

[ QUOTE ]
lowrider said:
how do you remove the unit is it a big job or is it a case of openning a few bolts and cleaning it??? i havent had a look at it yet so dont know

[/ QUOTE ]

1)Firstly, remove pipe from intercooler>throttle body.
2) Unplug loom from T
3) Remove 4x hex bolts from the 4 corners
4) Lift off TB and remove throttle cable from the mechanism.
5) Remove black plastic cover from TB (There is a small black plastic rivet type thing which has to be snapped off to get the cover off...not a big deal. you will see waht i mean
6) You will see the mechanism and the tracks .etc inside... Give it a good clean with IPA/Brake cleaner... Clean as much as you can and dont stop until the cotton bud isnt brown after wiping it.
7)put back in reverse of the above list.

Rich