S3 Road Tax

lukemedway_uk

Reaction score
I am almost certain that this has been asked about a zillion times before however, entering 'tax' in the search apparently returns 0 results.

I am a little confused by conflicting information that I have read over the forums and I just wanted to clear things up regarding VED on the S3 8L.

For vehicles registered before 1st March 2001, the duty is calculated on engine size, so £205; but what about vehicles registered after this? Are 2001 - 2003 models calculated by the bands at £245, or does it fall into another tax band?

I don't mind paying £205 or even £245 but the bands above are just ridiculous, £425. Really?

From what i can see, an S3 has either 223 or 226g/km CO2 depending on it being the 210 or 225hp engine.

223 would fall into band K (£260) and 226 into band L (£445) however band K appears to have a caveat which says that its the highest band for cars registered before March 2006, so both models actually fall into band K and pay £260.

Band K mate and yes this has been discussed a fair few times lol...

The cost of vehicle tax for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trade licences : Directgov - Motoring

...in particular...
* Band K includes cars that have a CO2 figure over 225g/km but were registered before 23 March 2006

So until the government decide otherwise 8L S3's are band K which is currently 260 quid for the year... still a ******' rip off considering we get well screwed on fuel too but there yah go... rip off Britain at work... again! ;P

<tuffty/>

a friend of mine lives in the US and he pays about 80p for a litre of petrol!

Funny thing is, I doubt that any of our remapped S3's are actually running the actual CO2 figure to qualify for the cheaper roadtax band.

Don't say things like that Joe, they'll be testing it as part of the MOT and then making each car pay its own unique rate rather than a blanket rate for a whole model!

Makes you wonder how they deal with engine conversions?

If you took a lowly 1.6 or tdi and nailed in a tuned up 1.8T i wonder if they'd adjust the tax or just leave it at the cars original setting?

Makes you wonder how they deal with engine conversions?

If you took a lowly 1.6 or tdi and nailed in a tuned up 1.8T i wonder if they'd adjust the tax or just leave it at the cars original setting?

Lol, I sense some tax dodging cloning of cars arriving soon... If they haven't already!

Cheers for clearing this up guys!

I had my remider letter through the other week, and when I went online to pay, it was about £15 more expensive than they said it would be on the letter! There's some caveat in there about being correct at the time or writing and any budget decisons in the meantime will override. Cheeky b'stards!

The worse thing about the high road tax is that its not spent on the ROADS..! and we all have to avoid pot holes every 10 yards - very rare that you see a "good" road nowadays

Don't say things like that Joe, they'll be testing it as part of the MOT and then making each car pay its own unique rate rather than a blanket rate for a whole model!

The manufacturers are cracking down on remapping though, a mate of mine is having problems getting his A5 3.0 TDI mapped, as the ECU is locked out. For us 8L owners, we are lucky we can still get our cars mapped easily(in most cases), and they can't really check each and every car can they?

I had my remider letter through the other week, and when I went online to pay, it was about £15 more expensive than they said it would be on the letter! There's some caveat in there about being correct at the time or writing and any budget decisons in the meantime will override. Cheeky b'stards!

That's exactly what happened to me today at the post office :(

My renewal said £235 but when I got there the guy at the counter said it would be £245. When I said that's not on my renewal, he showed me the small print saying that its subject to change.

Last edited: