Neuspeed Porsche Brake Kit

JamS3

Reaction score
I was thinking about upgrading my brakes and just noticed this on the awesome gti web site. What do you think? I'm wondering what sort of improvement it will be over standard... Apparently it uses Porsche Boxster 4 pot calipers.

Would this be just as good or better than the Brembo GT kit as they are about the same price each?

Just don't fancy spending that much money if the improvement is not that great!

Cheers

oh and it's £795!!

It's probably the most needed mod I need cause the brakes can't really cope with the extra power and the front discs are nearly on their way out now...wonder how much it will cost to fit?

[ QUOTE ]
JamS3 said:
oh and it's £795!!

It's probably the most needed mod I need cause the brakes can't really cope with the extra power and the front discs are nearly on their way out now...wonder how much it will cost to fit?

[/ QUOTE ]
That looks nice, I might be tempted myself!
Fitting costs nothing if you do it yourself, and brakes are easy peasy!

It does look great doesn't it!

I would never attempt my brakes myself though, too risky!!

If enough people are interested maybe I could arrange a group buy if we could get some discount!!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
For the money, the brembo kit is better. Its cheaper for one, and uses bigger discs so will have a bigger braking effect. The neuspeed kit is a bit expensive for what is after OE discs. If you want to do it on the cheap, source some second hand boxster callipers (www.design911.com) and visit www.evoms.com who do brackets. Then you can fit the callipers to your standard discs and save a packet.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont see the calipers on the design911 site....I've been offered a full set (front and rear) of boxster S calipers for £400+VAT .. good price? Are the rears any use to me/anyone else?

Cheers,
Adam

Take it mate! Thats a very good price! I cant remember if the EVOMS brackets use the boxster front or rear callipers... The boxster doesnt have a handbrake mechanism in the calliper so you can actually use either. Id buy that if i were you and sell what you dont need. Your looking at £400 for a brake upgrade...pretty good if you ask me.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Take it mate! Thats a very good price! I cant remember if the EVOMS brackets use the boxster front or rear callipers... The boxster doesnt have a handbrake mechanism in the calliper so you can actually use either. Id buy that if i were you and sell what you dont need. Your looking at £400 for a brake upgrade...pretty good if you ask me.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Email sent, bet I've been beaten to them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

...I'd have to get some new pads too but as you say a cheap upgrade until I get some 2 piece discs to go with them.

Are the brackets I need on the Evoms site ? Or do I have to contact direct as they're part of a kit?

Cheers,
Adam

Question Rich

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948153189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I have posted this link on here before and it was suggested that if these are the Porsche boxster calipers then it wouldn't be worth the cost of buying all the extras to fit them on the S3. Is this not the case ?

I have asked the seller for further details about the calipers but if I can source some brackets and fit them to the standard S3 discs until I can afford or find some compatible uprated discs would this make a significant performance difference?

Your thoughts.

[ QUOTE ]
monty77 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Email sent, bet I've been beaten to them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

...I'd have to get some new pads too but as you say a cheap upgrade until I get some 2 piece discs to go with them.

Are the brackets I need on the Evoms site ? Or do I have to contact direct as they're part of a kit?

Cheers,
Adam

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont BUY the callipers until you've called EVOMS... Just to be certain. The brackets are for a MkIV golf, however, if you can fit S3 calliper carriers and discs to a golf, i dont see whay you cant fit the reverse. Give www.evoms.com a call when they are awake (-8 GMT) and see what they can do. Tell them you have a TT 225 Quattro not an S3... they can understand that!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how cheap the calipers are! If they're £700 then it's not worth it, may as well get new.

A

[/ QUOTE ]

A set of four front and back for a Boxter used will cost you no more than £400+ vat from UK breakers, front two alone Id imagine will be less if they sell seperate fronts.- Im gonna look abroad to get even cheaper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You can try US porsche breakers... You wont pay VAT on the import (not sure about duty) as they are used. All you will pay is shipping charges.

Rich

Quick question,

How much better would it be swopping to something like EBC Turbo Groove Discs (grooved and blind drilled) with EBC redstuff pads but KEEPING the standard calipers.

How much of a difference over standard will this be?

Also which pads EBC red or green with this setup? I want the setup to last and not wear prematurely like mentioned above!!

Thanks in advance!

i know somebody that has recently crashed their Porsche Boxster S, i am getting an S3 soon, do you think it would be worth me asking him for his brakes? i will probably get htem v.cheap, so if i was to buy them, they would fit on the S3???
i'm sorry if this has already been answered, but i was not really sure
thank you

[ QUOTE ]
JamS3 said:
Quick question,

How much better would it be swopping to something like EBC Turbo Groove Discs (grooved and blind drilled) with EBC redstuff pads but KEEPING the standard calipers.

How much of a difference over standard will this be?

Also which pads EBC red or green with this setup? I want the setup to last and not wear prematurely like mentioned above!!

Thanks in advance!

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience non standard pads/discs may improve pedal feel and reduce fade but not a huge improvement - especially for the outlay, wont be cheap at this disc size. In my experience EBC are also one of the poorer brands. The £400 it will cost you is a long way towards a big brake setup.

A

[ QUOTE ]
Garth_S3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
For the money, the brembo kit is better. Its cheaper for one, and uses bigger discs so will have a bigger braking effect. The neuspeed kit is a bit expensive for what is after OE discs. If you want to do it on the cheap, source some second hand boxster callipers (www.design911.com) and visit www.evoms.com who do brackets. Then you can fit the callipers to your standard discs and save a packet.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the Brembo kit is better. I have a few friends with Leon Cupra R's which have the Brembos on as standard and no-one rates them that much. I know a guy who worked for AMD and he has advised me that the Porsche brakes are much better than the Brembos in terms of stopping power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, i would take the Porsche kit over the brembos, but in this instance, the Brembo kit is bigger, an everything else will be similar, therefore the brembo kit should be better.

Rich

As glen says, alot of this could be down to their choice of pad... They really arent that comparable unless the same spec pads are being used in both. I use Hawk pads in my porkers, and they are excellent. Excellent braking power when cold, and even better when hot. They are apparently better than the Pagid pads for the same setup, and much better than the OE porsche pads althoguh i would presume the OE pads are designed for road, not track. I've had my porkers fade on me once... At Castle Combe after about 10-12 laps with many HARD stops from 130+mph... So really, i was impressed they lasted that long. The key for me, and probably others, is to get some good airflow to the discs... Im going to run some air ducts round the back pointing at the brakes... should have a + effect.

Rich

All my comments were based an OE pads.
I warped the disks on my Brembos on the Ibiza after only 2000 miles and I don't even brake that hard. Also, the performance was very variable: some days they were great, others they were poor. I had the OE pads in and brand new super dot 4 fluid.

So,
How does the Neuspeed kit compare to the ECS porsche kit? Is it the same? All three have a similiar price (including the brembo kit), does anyone have experience (rich?) with all three?
Also, I like the idea with the ECS kit that you can upgrade from the cheaper kit to the more expensive (2 piece discs) kit later.
Interested for a future purchase really, but trying to work out what I would want now.

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
I've heard of this a few times. Did you allow them to cool down properly before parking? This is the usual cause of warpage.

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
They warped whilst driving. One minute they were fine, then I slowed pretty quickly coming to a roundabout and they started to vibrate and just got worse

[ QUOTE ]
Robthehungrymonkey said:
So,
How does the Neuspeed kit compare to the ECS porsche kit? Is it the same? All three have a similiar price (including the brembo kit), does anyone have experience (rich?) with all three?
Also, I like the idea with the ECS kit that you can upgrade from the cheaper kit to the more expensive (2 piece discs) kit later.
Interested for a future purchase really, but trying to work out what I would want now.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ECS Stage 2 kit is very similar to the Neuspeed kit... Its about £790+vat which again is more or less identical to the Neuspeed kit. You would find the only difference would be in the pad used. ECS use Hawk pads which are very good!

Rich

I have just manage to pick a pair of Porsche 993 4pot calipers for £155, who would be the best place to get the mounting bracket from and what size disc do I use the OEM 312mm or do I move up to a larger size (i.e. 328mm disc)? New to this so you advice will be very much appreciate?

[ QUOTE ]
I have just manage to pick a pair of Porsche 993 4pot calipers for £155, who would be the best place to get the mounting bracket from and what size disc do I use the OEM 312mm or do I move up to a larger size (i.e. 328mm disc)? New to this so you advice will be very much appreciate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are 993 boxster ones ? Or off another Porsche?

A

They are 911 (993TT) version.

[ QUOTE ]
They are 911 (993TT) version.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jammy git /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ECS kit uses those calipers with 322mm 2 piece discs .. stds are 316 aren't they?

A

@Cage, you'll have to get 32-34mm thick discs to run with the 993tt calipers unless they are 993 boxter calipers which are 28mm thick. If they are turbo calipers I've been toying with the idea of R32 discs which are 334x32.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
@Cage, you'll have to get 32-34mm thick discs to run with the 993tt calipers unless they are 993 boxter calipers which are 28mm thick. If they are turbo calipers I've been toying with the idea of R32 discs which are 334x32.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chris, I thought the R32 were 323mm, can some comfirm this?

oe,i think only a porsche opc??

@ Cage, try design911.com or there's a set of front and rear discs on ebay.com . Buy them and sell the rears on. The TTV6 and A3V6 are 334x32 so I assumed that the R32 would be the same size. Think vagparts told me same too. You'll probably get the 911TT discs for about £300 . There's someone on ebay germany selling caliper brackets for the 911TT calipers. Not sure if they are specific to the S3 but have seen them on there many times. Shouldn't be too hard to find some on there as the 911TT conversion is quite popular. Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.

Chris.

It only one euro as the starting bid. You could email the seller, they usually reply in English.

Bought my 996 GT3 calipers from germany and mirror housings too. Unlike us British, I find most Germans speak English.

Chris.

@ Cage, where did you find them at that price and what condition they in ? Paid £400 for the GT3 monobloc ones with pads,clips and sensors. And I thought mine were a bargain ! I would advise getting the 322x32 discs from Design 911, I am pretty sure they sell genuine Porsche items. The link on ebay.de also gives dimensions of the holes in relation to each other. Get an engineering shop to make you some up. May have to play about with clearances but shouldn't be too difficult. I was always advised to mount the disc first, as far inboard as possible without hitting the bottom ball joint, and then mount the caliper to suit the disc. That way you can use the minimum thickness spacer to get wheel clearance. I read somewhere that AMD and West Tuning use spacers on their kits. Thats somewhere else to try for discs.Ray @ West Tuning. Although I think he just buys them from a OPC.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
@ Cage, where did you find them at that price and what condition they in ? Paid £400 for the GT3 monobloc ones with pads,clips and sensors. And I thought mine were a bargain ! I would advise getting the 322x32 discs from Design 911, I am pretty sure they sell genuine Porsche items. The link on ebay.de also gives dimensions of the holes in relation to each other. Get an engineering shop to make you some up. May have to play about with clearances but shouldn't be too difficult. I was always advised to mount the disc first, as far inboard as possible without hitting the bottom ball joint, and then mount the caliper to suit the disc. That way you can use the minimum thickness spacer to get wheel clearance. I read somewhere that AMD and West Tuning use spacers on their kits. Thats somewhere else to try for discs.Ray @ West Tuning. Although I think he just buys them from a OPC.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got them of Ebay. They had a few scratches, but if very good condition otherwise. Also had pads and wear sensors included. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif