ESP & ABS light

landopanda

Reaction score
Hi,

Was driving along and my abs and esp light both came on, don't notice any change in the drive is this a sensor or something. It goes out when you turn the engine off but usually comes back after a while especially under heavy acceleration.

Any ideas????

Sounds like abs wheel speed sensor.

you will need to scan with VAGCOM to tell you which one needs replacing as there is one on each wheel if quattro.

DIY Job if you feel confident.

Cool I'll get it plugged in. Are they expensive...????

Also do they do VAGCOM for mac?

Or ~£15-20 from your local auto factor. It can be a right pig to remove the old one though.

Cheers,

ABS shoul still work. I have had the same trouble but my VAGCOM has come up with "too many communication errors" when i read the codes using the ABS channel. it used to read (see below) in the intruements channel but no codes now:

01314- Engine control module
013 check DTC memory.

i cleaned all wheel sensors but problem still exists. i'd be interested to know what codes you get with VAGCOM.

My take on this is that if the ABS light is on then its not working, but you still have normal breaking. I read this in another thread somewhere.

DC

I have had it on the machine and it has come back as

boost pressure control valve n249 mechanical malfunction

What does this mean???

N249 is more to do with the DV/Boost as far as I'm aware, don't think that fault code is relevant to ABS but I could well be wrong!

yep, the N249 is totally unrelated to your abs problem.

I will second what Dencar has said above. If light is on normally means you do not have abs breaking - obviously your normal brakes will work ! If esp light is on, that too will not kick in if it ever needs to.
Unless someone knows of a common S3 trait where the light is on and they still work ?

having both esp and abs lights could be any number of things from the 2 sensors inside the front of the car, to one or more wheels sensors, the abs/ecu unit, haldex controller, have I missed anything - they are all in the family....related.

sounds like you have a transient probelm not being detected by vagcom.

try getting it tested using other diagnostics tool/software.

Last edited: