Volks AutosChris Nott

Thread: BRAKES...

Neutral

Status

BRAKES...

I know you are all going to groan when you see this but just a quick question on S3 brakes

Front discs are a bit low and will need changing as will pads in a few k miles

obviously there is the std equipment from audi with stealer rates for chagning. option 1.
    option 2: go for sth like the uprated pad on std discs.
    option 3: go for the EBC uprated discs and pad material from someone like AMD
    option 4: go for the brembo GT kit from AMD
    option 5: as above but with bigger rears.

now I only intend using the S3 as a road car as it is too heavy and jelly like for track use plus too nice a road car for that!

I am thinking maybe just std discs and slihglt harder pad but will I really benefiot?

has anyone changed to the EBC set up and have you seen a noticeable difference in braking?? is it worth the slight extra investment?

thanks
    Nick

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: BRAKES...

Option 4

Status

Are your current brakes good enough for the road driving you do? If so OEM discs and OEM pads are fine. An upgraded pad will not make the car stop any better but will wear the OEM disc more quickly.

If the brakes are not adequate then option 4 is the ideal solution.

Forget aftermarket discs - they don't cool any quicker and will still fade. Forget aftermarket pads - they just create more heat and therefore wear the system quicker.

I've tried them all on different cars. A proper set of brakes (Porsche/ Brembo, Alcon, Stoptech) are the only solution.

4th Gear

Status

i dont see the problem with the s3 brakes.. never thought 'damn i wish these were sharper'

i understand audi pads are made by pagid anyway so i would say just stick with the OEM stuff... the brembo kit might look nice but is it worth 700 if you only doing road driving???

6th Gear

Status

Dave,

So are you saying something like EBC disks and EBC Green Pads provide will not provide much (if any) advantage over OEM disks and pads, for fast-road driving? You know the type of driving I mean!! ;-)

AL

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    jedi-knight83 said:
    i dont see the problem with the s3 brakes.. never thought 'damn i wish these were sharper'

i understand audi pads are made by pagid anyway so i would say just stick with the OEM stuff... the brembo kit might look nice but is it worth 700 if you only doing road driving???

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are driving enthusiastically, the S3 brakes will last about 2 corners before they start to fade... They are shocking!

imported_Yaseen

[ QUOTE ]
    RichA3Turbo said:

If you are driving enthusiastically, the S3 brakes will last about 2 corners before they start to fade... They are shocking!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing scarier then a close shave due to fade!! Its why im going bigger. When buying BBK`s bear in mind that although expensive they do have some resale value!...and look cool lol

NLW if your planning on engine mods in the future or if you experience fading then get bbk . If not then just get oem/similar priced aftermarket

2nd Gear

Status

I found that uprating pads n discs, front and back to black diamonds and doing myself 1. saved money over std, and 2. vastly improved brake performance to fast road / light track use ....

... std kit fade fast going around Nurburgring, the black diamonds have not let me down.

Status

Can I suggest that swapping from worn OEM pads / discs to new OEM pads / discs can also confer a big difference in brake performance. The thicker disc / pads will dissipate more heat, and the new pads will likely grip the disc straighter than worn components.

2nd Gear

Status

Good point, well made.
    1st Nurburg trip was made on 20k old discs/pads so wouldnt really think that will make a significant difference?

Of course new discs front are groved and drilled, rears are drilled so would expect them to work better in terms of venting gas and heat dissipation.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    S3_MCD said:Of course new discs front are groved and drilled, rears are drilled so would expect them to work better in terms of venting gas and heat dissipation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be theoretical improvements, but I haven't found them to translate into real world gains that are useful.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    David R said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    S3_MCD said:Of course new discs front are groved and drilled, rears are drilled so would expect them to work better in terms of venting gas and heat dissipation.

[/ QUOTE ]

There seems to be theoretical improvements, but I haven't found them to translate into real world gains that are useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odd..I notice huge improvements.

Grooved discs do work...they get rid of the gasses.
    You can hit the brakes harder, and later, and get the braking done with more confidence than when using standard stuff.

I ran the S3 for 2 1/2 years on standard front discs that had been grooved (milled) and EBC Greenstuff pads - the bite was better, overall stopping was improved and the confidence factor was up.

For a reasonably cheap upgrade, I think grooved discs and uprated pads are a win-win combination.

I wouldn't use Greenstuff again...not on an S3..it's too heavy and the pads risk de-laminating as mine did. EBC recommend Redstuff for the S3.

Also, after running EBC Greenstuff / Redstuff pads over 5 cars and one bike - all on standard front discs - I don't buy the theory that they wear the discs prematurely...6 vehicles and 7 years of use would suggest otherwise.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Odd..I notice huge improvements.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must admit to spotting differences in aftermarket pads really tricky. After the wooden bed in period I tend to have fogotten the absolute limits of the old brakes by the time the new ones are working properly.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Grooved discs do work...they get rid of the gasses.
    You can hit the brakes harder, and later, and get the braking done with more confidence than when using standard stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more abrasive pads certainly give the impression of better inital bite, but I remain unconvinced that the difference in fade resistance is "HUGE". They will be more aggressive, and will tend to required less pedal pressure but in turn create more heat.

[ QUOTE ]
    Ess_Three said:
    Also, after running EBC Greenstuff / Redstuff pads over 5 cars and one bike - all on standard front discs - I don't buy the theory that they wear the discs prematurely...6 vehicles and 7 years of use would suggest otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the issue that the disc removed from the S3 after barely 15,000 miles had completely worn the grooves of one side of the disc [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

That is certainly on the premature side of wear characteristics IMO, and has been reflected in the premature destruction of 2 sets of S4 discs (7,000 miles each before they were unservicable) and 2 sets of A3 discs (1st one worn in anyway, but the second set lasted only 15,000 miles using Pagid fast road pads)

I have been mistakenly sold so called effective brake upgrades too many times now, and it's only having used the Stoptech big brake kit and more recently the Brembo kit that I can see the difference between a cheap and ineffective solution and the ultimate solution.

The difference in pads / discs is very small, but also quite subjective. The difference with a proper brake kit is very obvious and the subjective component becomes much smaller.

Horses and courses (or some cliche similar)

I still wouldn't waste my money (again and again) - buy the proper kit, you'll not be dissapointed.