What Coilovers to put on my Audi S3????

deep89

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am not sure which coilovers to put on my Audi S3, i want something that can lower my car to atleast 80mm all round, but still be able to have a good ride. I was looking at AP coilovers but not sure how good they are? I had H&R Suspension kit on my previous car and that was a really comfortable ride, So the coilovers i get i will be comparing to the H&R ride i had previously.

Cheers

Deep

I believe if you lower the S3 that much you'll need to change your sump as it'll be hitting kerbs/speed bumps,DPM Performance are our sponsors here so PM Damian

You want to lower on coilovers by 80mm and still have a good ride?!!?

As voorhees has said, the sumps on 1.8t's are low and will end up 'very' close to the deck... you can buy a shallow aftermarket sump (although not sure on capacity) or there are spacers available to lift the engine mounts to aid ground clearance...

<tuffty/>

Iv got AP colies fitted to my car, about 40mm drop. I find a big inprovement in handling and road holding etc without been harsh. My wife even thinks its far more bouncy than her car which is on oem stuff.....uummm yes love, what ever you say.

DC

As u found out previously

I was running H&R's on my old S3 Brilliant set up

I don't think you're find much better to he honest.

Pete.

I've just had kw variant 1s put on this weekend, I was a bit concerned about how good/bad they were going to be !!!
The outcome was ace the car now drives like it's on rails but oddly IRS a still relatively soft over bumps :) it's a very nice set up and would recommend them all day long :) although they weren't cheap they are good

You'll struggle to lower the S3 80mm and still be able to drive it let alone have a good ride quality.

As mentioned the KW V1 kits are a good option but a lot is down to what budget you have?

Damian @ DPM Performance

Thanks for all your help so far guys, much appreciated! I will make my decision in the next couple of days. Also do you know if there is a huge difference between the AP's and the H&R's? as the H&R's are twice as expensive and i would expect a big difference paying that price? Sorry i forgot to mention i will be putting 19" wheels on the car so what is the maximum drop i can have without any problems with the sump etc...

Thanks

Last edited:
I am still not certain on which coilovers to go for :confused: anymore info or thoughts on the AP Coilovers would be really helpful. If i choose to get the AP coilovers for my S3, would that be the right move? Is there really a big difference between AP Coilovers and H&R coilovers? I just need to know if its really worth spending the extra £500. I over exaggerated the drop i was after, i think a drop would be 60mm?

How low have you dropped it and didnt you get any problems when you did lower it e.g. sump etc...?

Not sure how low it is mate but each one has been measured the same until i liked the height. I had it slammed very low when i first had it done but smacked a pothole and cracked the sump. I'll never do that again and don't recommend anyone to go so low on these cars.

It was raised to the level you see in my sig pics below. It's a perfect height and never had any problems since. I've caught my exhaust centre box a couple times on the odd HUGE bump but they're very minor scrapes and rarely happens.

Thanks for your help mate! I like the hieght your S3 sitting.

I've had KW V1 coilovers on all my cars, they are brilliant. Never gone wrong..